Old 09 January 2007, 16:22   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Etec efficiency claims

I've just been looking at some bumph on Etec engines, having been fairly set on going for a four stroke next time round.

One of the claims is "E-TEC direct injection provides up to 30% more fuel efficiency than 4 stroke engines...."

Is this anywhere near true? Or is it "30% more than a clapped out 10 year old carbed four stroke"...

The lack of requirement for any maintenance is very appealing to me as if it doesn't have to visit a dealer for three years it follows that the warranty is still going to be valid even if there isn't a dealer here .... in other words if it goes bang, I mean really bang conrods sticking out of the engine kind of bang, I can always send it back! This would be inconvenient but not as inconvenient as having to buy a new engine because the warranty was not valid on a 1 or 2 year old one

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2007, 16:39   #2
J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 15hp
Stephen

I recently downloaded an article from the evinride website that was written by an Austrailian magazine and they did fuel consumption on 75 and 90hp's test and they found that saving to be true at idle but it is no way near that at WOT.

Article can be found here http://www.brp.com/NR/rdonlyres/8BDD...IDE_ETEC75.pdf

James

Old 09 January 2007, 17:07   #3

Very interesting. Even if it isn't a lot better it is obviously at the top end of the fuel economy scale, which is what I want, as this thing I have now is damned thirsty!!

Question for those of you that run an Etec - do you like it and how does it compare to previous engines you have owned (if any)?

Also if anybody USED to own an Etec and got rid of it - why?

I like the idea of something so mechanically simple - seems there is really not a lot to go wrong

The electrical self-sufficiency is also a brilliant idea IMHO

Thanks

Old 09 January 2007, 21:21   #4

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
I'll let you know in a couple of weeks. Just picked up my 5.4mR Searider with a brandy new 90 hp E-TEC this afternoon. I only took it for a 5 minute spin, with 3 or 4 hole shots and a few seconds at a time at WOT.

Initial impression, in a word: sweet.

The boat literaly JUMPS onto a plane with just me aboard. SmartTabs help too, but WOW! It is simply amazing how much quicker it is than the old 80hp Merc (at the crankshaft, probably more like 65-70hp at the propshaft). I can't compare it to an Opti or anything else, but WOW! Yeah, size matters, but WOW!

Fuel economy, simplicity of maintainence (including no oil changes), self powering (will run w/o battery), all factors in why I choose the E-TEC, after months of research, scouring websites and agonizing. I purchased from a pretty large dealer (also a very large Zodiac dealer), and the techs report only one failed E-TEC returning to them... as a result of a sinking. Any modern engine is going to be pretty equal in fuel economy and reliability. The E-TEC should be more economical than a 4-stroke in the large amount of idle and low speed running I do, not a big difference at WOT or higher cruising speeds. As I do more idle & slow planing speed stuff, I expect to see a 25%-35% increase in fuel economy vs. the 4 cylinder carbed dino juice slurper the E-TEC replaced.

They loved the Searider, BTW. Even in comparison to a C-27. Also said it was nice to rig a max HP motor on a boat that could actually use all of the power. I can't wait to spend some more time in the boat in the next two weeks, really wringing it out. I'll probably put 40 or 50 hours on it in the next couple of weeks, at the Miami Olympic Classes Regatta, chasing my wife around. By the time I get home, I should have a pretty good idea of fuel economy, oil usage, etc.

Right now, on initial impression, I'm VERY happy.
Old 10 January 2007, 01:28   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Note: Hope I don't get in trouble for flogging another forum, but...

Stephen: Try hitting www.thehulltruth.com and do a search for ETec. A lot of people love them, a lot hate 'em, and quite a few have had some pretty serious problems (Not saying it's any different than any other motor; just trying to get a maximum of input in where it's wanted.)

jky
Old 10 January 2007, 04:06   #6

Length: no boat
Hi Stephen I used to have a 225 optimax on the back of my rib I sold it in order to buy the 225 ETEC I can only speak as I find and only up to the time now where I have about 28 hours on the clock, but what I can tell you is the engine is fantastic it so far has never missed a beat performance wise there is no comparison with the optimax the ETEC has far more power and torque in fact the first time I applied the throttle was coming out of the mouth of the marina at Dunstaffnage and I almost s**t myself, the arse end of the boat dug in and the bow came up like never before putting it simply I was not expecting such a vast difference between the two engines, I was totally taken by surprise!
I know there are other folk on the forum that have the ETEC and have many more hours on the clock than myself and from what I can gather they to are just as happy with there engine perhaps they will post there input.
The fuel economy bearing in mind I have a 7.3 mtr Rib is in my opinion very expectable, when I think back to all the days over a ten year or more period I spend out on ribs scuba diving with the old two stroke engines were you could count the miles you did in gallons of petrol per mile the difference is staggering there just is no comparing the two.
I had best end it here before folk think I’ am on some sort of commission or quest to convert the world to ETEC that’s not the case it’s just unless you have seen the difference you cannot believe it.
As I stated earlier I may live to regret my words but up till now I am more than happy good luck with your choice no matter what that might be
Old 10 January 2007, 04:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Note: Hope I don't get in trouble for flogging another forum, but...

Stephen: Try hitting www.thehulltruth.com and do a search for ETec. A lot of people love them, a lot hate 'em, and quite a few have had some pretty serious problems (Not saying it's any different than any other motor; just trying to get a maximum of input in where it's wanted.)

jky
Thanks, searched for e-tec and etec and turned up a few, so I've registered and asked the question

Old 10 January 2007, 06:12   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dctucker View Post
I'll let you know in a couple of weeks. Just picked up my 5.4mR Searider with a brandy new 90 hp E-TEC this afternoon. I only took it for a 5 minute spin, with 3 or 4 hole shots and a few seconds at a time at WOT.

Initial impression, in a word: sweet.

:
Lucky boy I envy you
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2007, 13:22   #9

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Other Benefits

I believe that, like Verados, they can be run at WOT from new, so no run-in required, and that they require less battery power than the equivilent Optimax.

I've also read on a Boston Whaler forum (Continuous Wave), that they can be pull-started (the lower HP models anyway) if the battery or starter-motor fail, as they come with emergency pull-cords under the cowling.
Old 10 January 2007, 14:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyP View Post
I believe that, like Verados, they can be run at WOT from new, so no run-in required, and that they require less battery power than the equivilent Optimax.

I've also read on a Boston Whaler forum (Continuous Wave), that they can be pull-started (the lower HP models anyway) if the battery or starter-motor fail, as they come with emergency pull-cords under the cowling.
I may be wrong but I think that only goes up to the 3cyl ones of which the 90 is the biggest - mine will either be a 115 or a 150 depending on what boat I get which depends on money, how many holes my Humbug gets it in between now and then, the phase of the moon and various other unpredictable factors

I really like the completely self-contained electrics, its a very similar principle to a light aircraft piston engine of the sort made by Lycoming etc, doesn't rely on any external power. Aeroplane engines that stop are usually bad for business so its probably a reliable idea