Old 21 January 2007, 01:46   #21

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Any idea where to find rock oil mp3 codders? My 'local' chandlers (35 miles away) only sells quicksilver.

You can buy direct

http://www.rockoil.co.uk/Marine.pdf

They are great people to deal with. I bought 2 x 25L drums and 12x 1L bottles off them - price will have gone up a bit now of course as all oils have gone up but should still be pretty cheap.

Remember most oils come from the same source and are just rebranded!!!
Old 21 January 2007, 02:22   #22
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
cheers!

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2007, 13:25   #23

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engine: 350Sci Verado
would it be the same as the evinrude oil?
Old 21 January 2007, 13:56   #24

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
would it be the same as the evinrude oil?
I assume the warranty might be a bit dodgy if using the wrong oil as well!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2007, 18:23   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I assume the warranty might be a bit dodgy if using the wrong oil as well!
As long as it meets the correct spec it's not the wrong oil - you don't HAVE to use Toyota oil for example!!! Maybe they can get away with it in the US but I don't think EU law allows them to invalidate a guarantee if you don't use the makers own products.

I see that Evinrude use different settings for xd50 and xd100 oil - basically the lower the spec oil the more you use.

Just found this

"These Evinrudes are designed to operate on any TC-W3 oil. The engine comes from the factory programmed for this grade of lubricant, and the reservoirs are designed to hold enough oil for 25 hours of operation under normal operating conditions. If you are willing to spend the extra money for Evinrude’s XD 100 synthetic blend two-stroke oil, the EMM can be reprogrammed to burn approximately half as much oil. This will provide up to 50 hours of operating time on one tank of oil, and that is a full season’s use for many outboard owners. "

http://www.trailerboats.com/output.cfm?id=945757
Old 21 January 2007, 19:03   #26

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
I have another thread going in the North American forum where I am contemplating re-powering. When I was at the Toronto Boat show, I spent time at every engine makers booth, and after listening to each, I was convinced that they had the engine for me. What caught me by surprise however, was that the change to 4-stroke was by no means a "given".

Since the show, I've been reading all sorts of stuff on the web, watched an Etec video, and read a few of these threads. It amazes me that virtually all of the manufacturers claim the same "trophies"... How is that Opti, Etec and Yamaha can all (simultaneously) claim best fuel efficiency, best power, best torque... hell, even the best paint job. I suppose what it means is that what the Merc rep. told me might actually be true... That all of the major manufacturers make good, comparable broducts, and that the trick is to sort out what is "most" important to you... speed, acceleration, efficiency...

I must confess though, from what I have been reading, I am quite impressed with what I hear about the Etec engines...

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2007, 19:23   #27

Town: St Helier JERSEY
Boat name: Barney
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 350 Yamaha
Optimax to ETEC

I've just bought a new Scorpion with an ETEC 250. The Scorp is identical to my last which had an Optimax 225.

The Opti was a fantastic engine, but I'm hopeful the ETEC will be faster, more economical and a tad quieter (but I'll miss the sonic boom of the Opti!).

I bought a full oil drum of Quiksilver DFI oil for the Opti which has saved me a fortune. Does anyone know if this oil will be good for the ETEC?
Old 21 January 2007, 21:52   #28

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
I have another thread going in the North American forum where I am contemplating re-powering. When I was at the Toronto Boat show, I spent time at every engine makers booth, and after listening to each, I was convinced that they had the engine for me. What caught me by surprise however, was that the change to 4-stroke was by no means a "given".

Since the show, I've been reading all sorts of stuff on the web, watched an Etec video, and read a few of these threads. It amazes me that virtually all of the manufacturers claim the same "trophies"... How is that Opti, Etec and Yamaha can all (simultaneously) claim best fuel efficiency, best power, best torque... hell, even the best paint job. I suppose what it means is that what the Merc rep. told me might actually be true... That all of the major manufacturers make good, comparable broducts, and that the trick is to sort out what is "most" important to you... speed, acceleration, efficiency...

I must confess though, from what I have been reading, I am quite impressed with what I hear about the Etec engines...

Hi SToo, Rib International did a good piece on 2 stroke vs 4 and Green engines too in last edition.

I think (actually more Hope)that the ETEC are the first of the next generation.
The mag makes a great argument and takes into consideration the net effect of the waste oil from the 4 STroke versus the figs given for the 2 stroke include disposal of the oil" great argument in favour of new 2 strokes.
I would love to see the Opti 150 versus ETEC150 Versus SUzuki and throw in the Verado too. They did a great but questionable comparison on 4x 250 previous.
Old 22 January 2007, 08:38   #29

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
Hi SToo, Rib International did a good piece on 2 stroke vs 4 and Green engines too in last edition.

I think (actually more Hope)that the ETEC are the first of the next generation.
The mag makes a great argument and takes into consideration the net effect of the waste oil from the 4 STroke versus the figs given for the 2 stroke include disposal of the oil" great argument in favour of new 2 strokes.
I would love to see the Opti 150 versus ETEC150 Versus SUzuki and throw in the Verado too. They did a great but questionable comparison on 4x 250 previous.
I thought the article was interesting but a couple of litres of oil a year wouldn't sway my decision significantly.

I agree - a comparison of "real world" engines in the 90-150hp range would be more useful, I like the mag but from the three issues I have it seems RIB Int does tend to concentrate a bit on the top end of the market, 250 or 300hp engines, £100k boats and stuff that most of us will never have on our shopping list! What they need is a shoot out of £20k boats and sub 150hp engines instead

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2007, 09:45   #30

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
I thought the article was interesting but a couple of litres of oil a year wouldn't sway my decision significantly.

I agree - a comparison of "real world" engines in the 90-150hp range would be more useful, I like the mag but from the three issues I have it seems RIB Int does tend to concentrate a bit on the top end of the market, 250 or 300hp engines, £100k boats and stuff that most of us will never have on our shopping list! What they need is a shoot out of £20k boats and sub 150hp engines instead
uuumm "a couple of litres"?
in four fillups i have used 6 lots of £25.00 worth of oil. Perhaps its just me but i think its quite expensive..
Old 22 January 2007, 10:40   #31

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
It amazes me that virtually all of the manufacturers claim the same "trophies"... How is that Opti, Etec and Yamaha can all (simultaneously) claim best fuel efficiency, best power, best torque...
I believe that their claims relate to specific points in the rev range. For instance, ETECs are very good at trolling and mid-range efficiency but this really drops off at WOT compared to fourstrokes.
Old 22 January 2007, 10:48   #32

I don't think there is much difference between ANY of the engines at WOT - they all guzzle it. My Suzuki 2 stroke 225 uses about 85l an hour WOT as does the 4 stroke.
Old 22 January 2007, 12:12   #33

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Agreed - they all guzzle at WOT.

The point I was trying to make is that manufacturers claim that their engines are the most efficient, without stating at what rev range (or sticking the details away in the small print).

Check the efficiency graphs out in the link below. The E-Tec 50 is the most efficient throughout most of the RPM range but at not at WOT.

http://www.leisure-marine.com.au/Evinrude/article6.asp
Old 22 January 2007, 12:53   #34

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyP View Post
I believe that their claims relate to specific points in the rev range. For instance, ETECs are very good at trolling and mid-range efficiency but this really drops off at WOT compared to fourstrokes.
Exactly. I have a stack of lovely brochures showing each engine "clearly" as the best choice. So once again, I'll choose my new engine based on the nicest colour!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2007, 16:46   #35

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post

Yep I am getting tired of it myself. I used to hanging out for it, but this forum which I found by accident is much more fun.

By the way, its not so much the cost of the oil, its the getting rid of the old stuff is the problem. If I was a big user, I think I would opt (pun) for the ETEC, over spec it and go at half throttle.
I seem to recall that they can build up oil and splutter if you dont wind them on every so often
Old 22 January 2007, 16:55   #36

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Not in this part of the world

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2007, 21:49   #37

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
You're right, all the manufacturers build a good comparable product nowadays. E-TEC hit the sweet spots for me: Low maintenance, very efficient in the low end and mid-range. When I'm running my RIB I need to be worried about other things such as hours or use, changing oil, etc. I'm busy worrying about coaching, safety and racing sailboat repairs and upgrades. The RIB should be absolutely worry-free. I'd rather take 2 minutes to top off the oil tank than change oil. It's quiet enough that I can easily carry on a conversation with my sailors while running alongside.

After running every day for 2 weeks as a support boat at the Miami Olympic Classes Regatta, I couldn't be happier with my choice. The 90 E-TEC lived up to its billing. Started every time at the first touch of the key. Long term reliability? Too soon to say, but the months of digging I did online left me more than comfortable. I only used about 1/2 of the oil reservoir.

One thing I noticed is that it's not terribly thrilled with being run out of fuel. It starts and runs rough until the fuel system is happy again. I probably used about 1-1.5 quart of XD100 during break-in high oiling) and 4-5 6.5 gallon (US) tanks of fuel over 11 days of running.

Whoever asked for photos, I don't have any, and the boat is 1500 miles away until the end of March!
Old 31 January 2007, 03:22   #38

Town: longview
Boat name: jon b jolly
Make: bombard
Length: 4m +
Engine: etec 50
hi all...

just going to chime in and say that i love my e-tec!! although mine had an annoying problem with the oil alarm going off on rough water... beep beep beep beep... just when trying to concentrate on what's ahead....Doh.. bad module programing... mmmmmmm

anyway the fact that i can pull start is very comforting even though i'm running two batteries. no break in period and almost zero maint., less weight, less moving parts... runs like a sewing machine! what's not to like!?

my dealer really likes the yamalube so i've been running that but thinking about a re-program to run the more efficient oil xd100... wondering if it's worth it??