Old 29 December 2009, 20:00   #1

Town: Isle of Tiree
Boat name: AURORA
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 150s
etec 75 prop more speed

iv seen a few threads about props etc but i cant get the nswer im looking for . i really want to get a new prop on for the summer so i thought id start looking now. . im looking to get more speed but also for towing the odd donut etc . is stainless steel the answer. where is the best place to buy online. cheers
Old 29 December 2009, 20:07   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
FT - I'm no expert but I think that those who are will be better placed to advise you with:

(1) maximum revs you are achieving
(2) maximum/optimum revs the engine is rated for
(3) current prop size
(4) maximum speed you are getting
(5) how fast you want to go
(6) if you are having problems with holeshot/ towing donuts etc at present
Old 29 December 2009, 20:09   #3

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Is it just a doughnut or will you be towing skiers? A prop for top speed isn't ideal for towing skiers and vica versa.
Old 29 December 2009, 20:25   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
A prop for top speed is ideal for towing skiers and vica versa.
I don't ski but thought you would want best holeshot and would be willing to sacrifice topend?
Old 29 December 2009, 20:27   #5

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I don't ski but thought you would want best holeshot and would be willing to sacrifice topend?
Might have just done a cheeky edit.
Old 29 December 2009, 22:13   #6

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraztiree View Post
iv seen a few threads about props etc but i cant get the nswer im looking for . i really want to get a new prop on for the summer so i thought id start looking now. . im looking to get more speed but also for towing the odd donut etc . is stainless steel the answer. where is the best place to buy online. cheers
Also how is your engine rigged on the transom is the anti ventilation plate above the bottom of the transom or is it level or below.

E-tecs like to ride quite high so it may be that by moving your engine up a bit you can free up some more top end. Ideally you want to do this before buying a new prop and see what your performance is with your current prop. You want to be high enough to maximise performance without ventilating when you throw the boat about a bit.

The ideal RPM for your engine is between 5000 and 5200RPM with your normal load and running with the engine trimmed out for maximum speed. If you are getting a lot less than this (sub 4800) you will be "lugging" the engine which is not good for it."

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2009, 02:13   #7

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Go to your owners manual and look for the min amd max factory recommended height between boat's bottom to anticav plate, if inside parameters with no water splash ok. Trim engine correctly pic 2. Balance boat properly pic 3.

Get engine min/max rpm parameters, perform a WOT test with actual prop, see max rpm at wot, play with 1" pitch to increase, decrease 200 rvs , play until reaches max recommended rpm, will lose hole shot, but will have max top end speed. Factory delivered props are mid range, that is, between min and max recommended rpms at wot. Have good hole shot but less top speed. It's useful to have at least 1 other spare prop for skiing, racing.

Happy Boating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01-Anticav Plate Height.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	48378   Click image for larger version

Name:	02-Trim Angle.JPG
Views:	639
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	48383   Click image for larger version

Name:	03-Boat Balance.JPG
Views:	628
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	48384  
Old 30 December 2009, 07:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Go to your owners manual and look for the min amd max factory recommended height between boat's bottom to anticav plate, if inside parameters with no water splash ok. Trim engine correctly pic 2. Balance boat properly pic 3.

Get engine min/max rpm parameters, perform a WOT test with actual prop, see max rpm at wot, play with 1" pitch to increase, decrease 200 rvs , play until reaches max recommended rpm, will lose hole shot, but will have max top end speed. Factory delivered props are mid range, that is, between min and max recommended rpms at wot. Have good hole shot but less top speed. It's useful to have at least 1 other spare prop for skiing, racing.

Happy Boating
You won't find any info in the owners manual for larger engines.

Its down to trial and error based on hull type an to some extent the choice of prop.

Like I sad E-tec's generally like to ride higher on the transom (1-2") as a starting point.

Born fiddler
Old 30 December 2009, 08:07   #9

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
What prop are you running with just now. Standard aluminium 15" pitch?
Old 30 December 2009, 11:48   #10

Town: Fareham
Unless you only plan to go out in flat calm conditions I wouldn't rig the boat for a max speed configuration.

I owned a Deepsea and trust me when I say that improving topend will compromise the handling in rougher weather. I'd be setting it up for plenty of bowlift when you need it and that'll involve keeping the prop lower in the water for more bite when you're surfing down a wave with the engine trimed up in a following Sea.

I first had an 80 Yam 2 stroke on the back. The speed was OK but I had to back off quite often in the short chop following Seas we have in the Solent. Moving more weight rearwards helped quite a bit, the console was quite far forward with a large internal tank (90 litres). The Cav plate was level with the hull bottom.

After a year I then bought and fitted a 90 Merc 4 Stroke which was much heavier. I just moved some of the weight of equipement further forward, but the boat responded with much better handling in a following Sea (head Sea's were never a problem). Might have been a touch rear heavy with crew onboard, but as I used her Solo quite a bit I decided that this was acceptable. I tried like you to increase top end and ended up trying different props and lifting the engine too.

After some experimentation I decided to run the Cav plate level with the planing wedge and swap props deciding on what my load was and what the weather was doing (15" for heavy Sea's and Heavy load (crew), 17" for heavy Sea's and 19" for calm conditions).

I might add that all three props were Alloy ones as I couldn't see any major advantage to using Stainless props, this conclusion was decided after borrowing some props from fellow RIBnet members and doing back to back testing over a day out. The other advantage a alloy prop has it that if you hit something solid then it's the prop that'll get damaged and not the gearbox components and of course alloy props are cheaper to buy.

Obviously if you did something similar and kept a couple of different pitched props then you could also change pitches depending on what you were doing. You really should have a spare prop, so why not a different pitched one

Oh and I though I'd better mention before someone else does, that you should keep within the manufacturers recommended WOT rev range at all times.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2009, 15:06   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You won't find any info in the owners manual for larger engines.
Sorry to say, but have checked larger engine manuals like Tohatsu, Yamaha, Suzuki, they have this height information written there, it's no difference it it's a small or large engine, all of them have their specific parameters and are rated for optimum cruising conditions. It's a matter of reading whole owners engine manual to find it as a starting point. Agree that it's pure water science under trial and error, as there will be calm, choppy, agressive sea conditions out there, including hull designs which will need differente engine adjustments

There's a Swedish manufacturer who makes Propulse Props, are pitch adjustable in 5-7 different pitches for all sorts of water activities, one for all, all for one. You can even change spare broken blades, a nice option for fuel decrease and speed performance increase. Fits most different brands small, medium large size engines . http://propulse.jetshop.se/

Happy Boating
Old 30 December 2009, 16:12   #12

Town: Ireland
Length: 10m +
http://propulse.jetshop.se/

Has anybody used one of these props?? Looks like a good idea.
Old 30 December 2009, 17:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Is it just a doughnut or will you be towing skiers? A prop for top speed isn't ideal for towing skiers and vica versa.
just be the odd doughnut in the good summer evenings . thanks for all the replies lots of things to think about .
Old 30 December 2009, 17:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
What prop are you running with just now. Standard aluminium 15" pitch?
yea think its the standard 15'' i should of measured it today but did nt lol thanks again
Old 31 December 2009, 07:41   #15

Quote:
Sorry to say, but have checked larger engine manuals like Tohatsu, Yamaha, Suzuki, they have this height information written there, it's no difference it it's a small or large engine, all of them have their specific parameters and are rated for optimum cruising conditions. It's a matter of reading whole owners engine manual to find it as a starting point. Agree that it's pure water science under trial and error, as there will be calm, choppy, agressive sea conditions out there, including hull designs which will need differente engine adjustments

Happy Boating
Height on the transom is governed by a number of variables including the choice of prop, so any info in a manual will be a good starting point but not necassarily the correct setting.

Born fiddler
Old 31 December 2009, 11:45   #16

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
yea think its the standard 15'' i should of measured it today but did nt lol thanks again
Upgrading to a stainless steel propeller will probably give you an extra 2-3mph, however it won't dramatically change your current performance. Your engine needs to achieve maximum RPM, normally anywhere from 4,500-5,500. With this in mind you can use the 15'' pitch (assuming that's what's on it) as a general-use propeller for most situations. Ideally if anyone has a couple of propellers (to borrow) than that would be the way to go, so you can test and see what happens.
Old 05 January 2010, 11:45   #17

waa just talking to someone they said instead of a diffrent prop try dolfins on . I have a set off my old engine but i dont want to start drilling holes in my etec if theres going to be little or no diffrence . what do you think
Old 05 January 2010, 18:05   #18

Quote:
waa just talking to someone they said instead of a diffrent prop try dolfins on . I have a set off my old engine but i dont want to start drilling holes in my etec if theres going to be little or no diffrence . what do you think
Doelfins will only help plane the boat faster, and maintain planning at lower speeds, will not give more end speed, they are sometimes water garbage collectors, so what are you looking for: speed or overall performance ? Stay with actual prop is using the boat normally. Will need a tacho to perform a wot test and see if inside min/max rpm parameters, that might be a complicated issue for you. Get a Tiny Tach and check at full throttle.

Happy Boating
Old 05 January 2010, 18:31   #19

Quote:
Doelfins will only help plane the boat faster, and maintain planning at lower speeds, will not give more end speed, they are sometimes water garbage collectors, so what are you looking for: speed or overall performance ? Stay with actual prop is using the boat normally. Will need a tacho to perform a wot test and see if inside min/max rpm parameters, that might be a complicated issue for you. Get a Tiny Tach and check at full throttle.

Happy Boating
yea i found them a bloody pain on my other boat . im really just wanting an extra few knots so i can win the rib race again this year at my local event lol
Old 05 January 2010, 21:12   #20

Town: Pireus
Boat name: Joanna
Make: marin stiletto 737
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude ETEC 250
RIBase
Dont buy any stainless steel propeller. You will loose 2-3 knots. SS propellers are heavy for smaller engines ( lower than 100hp)