Old 24 November 2005, 18:44   #1

Town: Cowichan Bay
Boat name: Neptune
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin140 suzi 4stroke
ETEC 225 VS Optimax 225

I have narrowed my new engine purchase to one of these two. I will be running twin counter rotating 225. Anyone out there have pros or cons of each. The optis are a bit cheaper.

I would go with the suzukis but parts are not really readily available if I have breakdowns which I can't afford as our high season is about two and a half months. One day down is a huge loss.

I am interested in hearing about breakdowns, services, fuel consumption, and max hours before they blow up.

Thanks, Simon
Old 24 November 2005, 18:53   #2

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
Suz for fuel, e-tec for speed and Opti for break down

PS: Only colour available in counter rotating is white on the e-tec
Old 24 November 2005, 18:56   #3

Thanks Petrov,

How much better is the fuel consumption suz to e-tec?
Old 24 November 2005, 19:00   #4

Dont know exactly but i would guess around 10 lit per hour full speed, i could se that you are driving charter on your homepage and in Sweden no one is driving 2-stroke anymore when it comes to charter, the 4-stroke is much more reliable and fuel consumption less and there is no oil to mess with.
Why will you have probs with parts from Suz?
Old 24 November 2005, 19:11   #5

The dealer near me (suz) doesnt have a large parts stock. Therefore I could be waiting up to a week for some parts if there are any breakdowns which is inevaitable with any outboards. My fear is if I blow a poer head I could be waiting for two weks to get another one. I am running about 2000 hours a season.

I am currently running 4 strokes yamahas and was not impressed at all. had to relap a valve at 400 hours and needed a new computer a 600 hours.

The etecs seem to have almost the same fuel consump as the 4 stokes. Granted much more oil. I am also finding that with the 4 stokes I am running at higher rpms to get the same speed which results in more engine wear.
Old 24 November 2005, 19:19   #6

Understand but in my opinion you have to small engines for that boat, we always put as big engines as possible, not for the speed, for the RPM, a engine that runs on 4,000 revs will full load has very little fuelcons and the engine is not taking much damage, we have 250 Suz on 6 charter boats and most of them has been runing for almost 2,000 hours, when the Suz 250 came out we had some small probs but they were easy fixed but the 2005 engines has been running very smoth.
If i was you i would go for the 250 Yam 4-stroke, i guess you run the Yam because there is a good dealer that could supply parts if something happends.
Old 24 November 2005, 19:38   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanEco
I have narrowed my new engine purchase to one of these two. I will be running twin counter rotating 225. Anyone out there have pros or cons of each. The optis are a bit cheaper.

I would go with the suzukis but parts are not really readily available if I have breakdowns which I can't afford as our high season is about two and a half months. One day down is a huge loss.

I am interested in hearing about breakdowns, services, fuel consumption, and max hours before they blow up.

Thanks, Simon
Why not go for the Etec 250? More power - same weight!!!
Old 24 November 2005, 20:21   #8

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanEco
max hours before they blow up.
Another thing to worry about

Can you have a 'try' of each (mates' boats)?
Down to personal preference then.

(Would vote E Tec )

Us
Old 24 November 2005, 20:36   #9

Town: Tofte
Make: Tornado 750
Engine: 250 Suzuki
There have been lots of problems with optis and hpdi on charter ribs in my area. This year we have 5 boats with 250 Suz, and apart from some initial probs with the gear controle there has been no hazzle with these engines. I also think that with a name like OceanEco there is no way you can run optis, they make a lot of noise and give a lot of blue smoke when you start them ( espesialy during winter :-))

Roy

www.rib-adventure.no
RibRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2005, 21:29   #10

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
I had the choice to have what ever we wanted on the new rib, and being the train spotte that i am , we talked to loads of suppliers, and off the record they gave us a breakdown of probleams they had
If the Etec was as good as i have been led to belive, i would have had one as the cost saving is in thousands. but from what we found out it was down to Suzuki or Yamaha. we chose yamaha because we have had them before but i would have been just as happy with the Suzuki.
I know i will probably eat my words, but i dont have any axe to grind because i had the choice.
Old 24 November 2005, 21:29   #11

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by RibRoy
they make a lot of noise and give a lot of blue smoke when you start them ( espesialy during winter :-))
Hmmmm, perhaps the Norwegian Opti's are different then. Mine doesn't smoke and it's nice and quiet also.
Old 24 November 2005, 22:49   #12

Town: dundee
Make: ring
Engine: mariner 225 optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1
Hmmmm, perhaps the Norwegian Opti's are different then. Mine doesn't smoke and it's nice and quiet also.
They must be, as iv yet to see any smoke from mine and its the quietest engine iv ever had.
Old 25 November 2005, 04:49   #13

Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by boab
They must be, as iv yet to see any smoke from mine and its the quietest engine iv ever had.
Then mine would be the same as the norwegian ones.
Makes a lot of noise , ofcourse I love the sound !
Makes some blue smoke in wintertime, ok a bit then. But after a few seconds is almost the same as FS.
Friends of mine have 150,225,115 Yammie conventional ones and they really make a difference in smell and smoke.

Some difference between ETEC and Opti is smartcraft wich is very usefull and much less oil use at the ETEC.
Old 02 December 2005, 12:51   #14
Vas

Town: Athens
Length: no boat
I'm in the exact same dilemma....Opti/E-Tec!

The facts are the following:
The new E-Tec seems to be more economical than the Opti, as far as the running cost is concerned (e.g. 300 hrs maintenance free, low consumption), and seems to be more reliable than the older Evinrude models in general (new materials, robust, etc.). In addition, they, as well, come with a management system similar to Mercury's SmartCraft. Hence, since you are talking for 2000 hrs/year, the E-Tec may prove to be a smart choice. The noise, however, seems to be a bit louder than the Opti. Finally, the new white, saltwater engines are a beauty!

The Opti is nothing special as far as looks is conserned. However, it has been around and tested successfully, longer than the new E-Tec. It is powerful, economical, and more simple than the E-Tec. Also a bit more 'dirty' (2-stars).

Finally, my opinion is that a 4-Stroke, together with the higher price, will by no means be cheap to run. If the 2000hrs are true, then maintenance cost will be way above 2-strokes.

I'm probably going for the Opti myself, 'cause Evinrude is not very popular around here, mainly because of the old problems. Hence, hard to re-sell......
Old 03 December 2005, 16:40   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
isn't the normal commercial thinking to buy three Outboards and have a spare engine to cover Breakdowns! I imagine youcould get keen pricing on three
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote