Old 02 August 2017, 23:48   #1

Town: Southern California
Length: 3m +
Engine won't start with choke on

So this is interesting. I tried Googling this so I didn't bother you guys with it, but I cannot find any answers. It's always the other way around.

Whether the motor is cold or warm, if the choke is out, it will not start. I've tried many times. Soon as the choke goes back in, starts up within a pull or 2.

I know nothing about carbs, so I don't even know where to start other than it could be running really rich thus the choke is dumping too much fuel? This is a 80's 15 hp Mariner 2 stroke. Thoughts?
Old 03 August 2017, 08:04   #2

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Any indications that it's running rich all the time?

My backup - a Suzuki DT4 2stroke which I've had from new - will start with choke fully out but if I don't push the choke in pretty much instantly it will die. Much the same experience when I hire boats with small outboards on local trout fisheries so after the first run of the day I don't normally use the choke.
If they don't start after a couple of pulls then I too push the choke fully in otherwise you'll just flood it.
Old 03 August 2017, 08:51   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
My old Tohatsu 9.8hp 2 stroke didn't like much* choke if the ambient temps were above 15 celcius. It much be MUCH warmer in SoCa.

* Half choke for 1 pull. It would start with none quite often from "cold".
Old 03 August 2017, 11:17   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I was thinking along Willk's lines. I've had quite a few OBs where in the summer(say 20deg or so) a sniff of choke right out could mean you'd have to pull them over quite a few times to clear before they'd go. So I too would always give them a couple of pulls with no choke first and only if they didn't go use half choke.

Then there was one where in the summer I'd pull over once with choke out then push the choke in fully and it would start two pulls later. But if you tried no choke that one would never start.
Old 05 August 2017, 16:50   #5

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
That engine has an enricher which pumps fuel into the reed block every time you pull out the knob. From cold, pump up the primer bulb turn the knob clockwise. Pull it out twice then push it in and leave it. When it starts slowly turn the knob anticlockwise as it heats up. You should not have to touch it after the engine has been running. If you keep pulling it out and in or leave it out your just filling the crankcase with petrol. Try that.
Old 05 August 2017, 17:13   #6

Town: Southern California
Awesome, thanks guys! I'll start to do some experimenting to see what works best. I had just assumed something was wrong if it wasn't starting with the choke out. Thanks!