Old 26 May 2014, 15:52   #11
Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Merc give you a standard 2/3 year warranty (depending on what engine it is) you can do what you want with it if you like service it your self or get a mechanic to do it. But you will loose your 5 year warranty. Each time you have it serviced by a main dealer your warranty will click over another year. So basically your standard warranty gets extended by a year when serviced at a main dealer upto a max of 5 years.

Black Dog Marine
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2014, 16:44   #12
Town: Bristol
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 60 outboard
So what happens if you are late with the service? Is that like a car, warranty void?

Ian_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2014, 17:41   #13
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
On larger engines in which you can count metered worked hours, assume should be a X number of elapsed hours to your favor, like in a car. Impossible to track metered worked hours on portable engines that are not computer controlled.

After break in period engine must be torqued back to specs, that's why need to be taken to dealer, how many dealers perform this is unknown, will depend too on engine brand on what needs to be done immediately after break in period

Happy Boating
Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2014, 03:48   #14
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
So.....firstly huge thanks to Al for PMs

I have this morning had a call from Barrus ( I only emailed them last night ! - top service ) .

It is has been posted by Turbo Diesel .

Standard warranty is 2 years - and during this anyone ' competent can service the engine using genuine parts/ of equal quality .

However if the engine is serviced by a merc dealer from new & ongoing it does extend out to the full five years.

As a customer I can fully understand why they do it this way - they have a vested interest in the dealers looking after stuf and in return they are happy to commit to five years warranty.

I'm wondering now if the other manufacturers five year warranty periods are the same ?

In summary the only two main dealers who showed and interest in me as a little 25 hp buyer were Black Dog Marine & Yellow Penguin .

I ended up buying from YP as the are very very close to me and have always been very good with the friends I have who use them ( Avocet & 250) .

PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote