Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 10 March 2009, 20:37   #21
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
So you wouldn't mind having Salty water sloshing about rusting all your gears and buggering up your bearings then?

I don't like sticking up for the bloke, 'cos he's a jack who's rude about Llanelli, but on Codprawn's assumption, the water would be in there in any case. Lowering the leg puts the already waterlogged gearcase into an environment which would prevent further damage by that water freezing and cracking the casting.
__________________

__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2009, 20:39   #22
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Shouldn't this thread be in the 'Engines' section?
__________________

__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2009, 22:43   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post

I don't like sticking up for the bloke, 'cos he's a jack who's rude about Llanelli, but on Codprawn's assumption, the water would be in there in any case. Lowering the leg puts the already waterlogged gearcase into an environment which would prevent further damage by that water freezing and cracking the casting.
I am not a Jack - was born in Neath!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2009, 05:22   #24
RIBnet supporter
 
bedajim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I am not a Jack - was born in Neath!!!
I believe its "Robbing Jack" to be correct

arr Neath many a happy time I've had seeing it disappear in the rear view mirror
__________________
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2009, 11:34   #25
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 693
This Discussion I think has pros and cons for both arguments.
Leaving engine down in winter means that the water in the leg is the same temp as the surrounding water and thus less likely to freeze, the weed etc growth is slower in the winter also. In the summer I think its best to keep it up to reduce the week etc growth as there is no risk of freezing (said he hoping)
If you are on a berth that can dry then up it is to reduce the risk of damage.

On my sterndrive I leave it down all the time to protect the rams as even when up it won't clear the water so there is no point.
tupance from me !
__________________
Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2009, 16:01   #26
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly View Post
This Discussion I think has pros and cons for both arguments.
Leaving engine down in winter means that the water in the leg is the same temp as the surrounding water and thus less likely to freeze, the weed etc growth is slower in the winter also. In the summer I think its best to keep it up to reduce the week etc growth as there is no risk of freezing (said he hoping)
Well, yeah; except that the OP was about a RIB out of the water...


jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2009, 17:35   #27
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I am not a Jack - was born in Neath!!!
Come on now Codo, you've tried that old one before:

http://rib.net/forum/showpost.php?p=178153&postcount=9

__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2009, 18:41   #28
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: I.O.W/Bristol
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70hp Tohatsu
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,543
Another arguement for leaving your engine down...it makes it harder for some thieving little sh*t to swipe your shiney 300 stainless prop.
__________________
slimtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2009, 18:43   #29
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Come on now Codo, you've tried that old one before:

http://rib.net/forum/showpost.php?p=178153&postcount=9

Well it's true - spent 1/2 my life all over the World though.

Easy way to solve the original argument - leave your engine like in the Grand Old Duke of York poem. Neither up nor down!!!

Some of these old nursery rhymes are quite rude really - "The Grand old duke of York - he HAD 10,000 men"............
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2009, 05:21   #30
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Shouldn't this thread be in the 'Engines' section?
It is!

































__________________

__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.