Old 05 March 2010, 10:53   #1

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Engine theft

Was walking on the canal last night and saw somebody taking a small Honda outboard engine off a moored boat. No big deal normally, but it was 12.30pm at night.
Challenged the guy but he legged it immediately. Sadly for him he failed to outrun my two Rotters who gave him a lesson he won't forget for a while.
Old 05 March 2010, 10:58   #2

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
Was walking on the canal last night and saw somebody taking a small Honda outboard engine off a moored boat. No big deal normally, but it was 12.30pm at night.
Challenged the guy but he legged it immediately. Sadly for him he failed to outrun my two Rotters who gave him a lesson he won't forget for a while.
you want to watch that he don.t report to the police for dangerous dogs, you'll get done not him.
bring back common sense!!!!!
Old 05 March 2010, 11:09   #3

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
bloody hell

whilst i agree he deserves it, i hope they didnt maul him! youd be in a whole world of trouble as will the dogs.

We had two alsations on a farm, nipped one old guy who walked his westie across the fields at 6am, then nipped a wagon driver who jumped out of his cab right on front of them. Both were reported, two strike rule, dogs put down The law is ridiculous!
Old 05 March 2010, 11:16   #4

Town: Hythe
Boat name: To be confirmed
Make: None
Length: no boat
Engine: None
But more importantly....

IS THE ENGINE OK!?!?!
Old 05 March 2010, 11:48   #5

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
We had two alsations on a farm, nipped one old guy who walked his westie across the fields at 6am, then nipped a wagon driver who jumped out of his cab right on front of them. Both were reported, two strike rule, dogs put down The law is ridiculous!
Would the law be as ridiculous if your dogs had killed someone?
Old 05 March 2010, 11:53   #6

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Quote:

Challenged the guy but he legged it immediately. Unfortunately my two little dogs thought it was a game and caught up with him. Despite all of my efforts to call them off, one of them may have nipped him.
Edited for accuracy.

What happened with the engine?
Old 05 March 2010, 12:15   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Why worry about the dogs, they did a great job, where was this?
Old 05 March 2010, 12:30   #8

Town: Hythe
Boat name: To be confirmed
Make: None
Length: no boat
Engine: None
Quote:
Challenged the guy but he legged it immediately. Sadly for him he fell down an old well, but luckily for him two Rotters (lassie and valiant) located him and saved him from certain death!
Re-editted for the purposes of your statement

Now what about that engine?
Old 05 March 2010, 13:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Would the law be as ridiculous if your dogs had killed someone?
They didn't though did they! They nipped his arm and the truckers leg. They didnt maul him like an out of control american pit bull in a public park!

They went for the westie and the old man picked it up and got nipped. It's our land not public land and they thought it was a rabbit. Two loved expensive pets there to protect the sheds from being burgled as we have been over 20 times in 10 years!!! Police wont help!

On your principle, if you sped for example, and hit a child but they lived, should you be put away for man slaughter?! No.
Old 05 March 2010, 14:00   #10

Town: manchester
Quote:
They didn't though did they! They nipped his arm and the truckers leg. They didnt maul him like an out of control american pit bull in a public park!

They went for the westie and the old man picked it up and got nipped. It's our land not public land and they thought it was a rabbit. Two loved expensive pets there to protect the sheds from being burgled as we have been over 20 times in 10 years!!! Police wont help!

On your principle, if you sped for example, and hit a child but they lived, should you be put away for man slaughter?! No.
Hi paul my view for what its worth if they were on your land then your dogs did no wrong , if people was walking around someones back garden they would let the dogs out first i would .Just because you have land people think they can walk all over it
Old 05 March 2010, 14:21   #11

Quote:

if the trucker had jumped out in front of me i would have bit him, i've got a shetland pony thats nippy does the same go for that or me for that matter, most dogs only nip when they feel threathened, humans we got a lot to answer for!

the more i talk to people the more i love my pets, you would never find a two faced animal
Old 05 March 2010, 14:29   #12

Quote:
They didn't though did they!
I don't know, I wasn't there.

Quote:
They nipped his arm and the truckers leg.
When does a nip on the arm become a vicious wound?

Quote:
They went for the westie .... they thought it was a rabbit.

Quote:
On your principle..
I didn't voice any 'principle'. I asked your opinion on the law as it stands, should someone have been killed by dogs with 'a bit of previous'.

Quote:
... if you sped for example, and hit a child but they lived, should you be put away for man slaughter?! No.
No. A case of careless or dangerous driving may be appropriate, depending on the circumstances. I suppose, in my defence, I could claim that 'I thought it was a rabbit' and everything would be ok.
What is your point?
Old 05 March 2010, 14:54   #13

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Engine theft

He'd not got the engine off but appeared to be in the middle of sawing through a lock and chain. He left the saw, plus he threw an adjustable spanner at me. So I let the dogs off in self protection....he'll be OK but might want to get a tetanus booster.
Rather amused by the adjustable spanner. On the handle it says "King Dick". rather apt.
I'm looking after the dogs for my brother, who lives in London. It's unlikely they'd be traceable.
Old 05 March 2010, 14:58   #14

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post

the more i talk to people the more i love my pets, you would never find a two faced animal
The kipper I had last night had two faces.

We're all seriously hacked off about engines being stolen and the Police either being powerless or lacking interest - a thief gets bitten and legs it and we're worrying about the thief being wounded and pressing charges.

It's a template for the UK today!
Old 05 March 2010, 15:14   #15

Quote:
He'd not got the engine off but appeared to be in the middle of sawing through a lock and chain. He left the saw, plus he threw an adjustable spanner at me. So I let the dogs off in self protection....he'll be OK but might want to get a tetanus booster.
Rather amused by the adjustable spanner. On the handle it says "King Dick". rather apt.
I'm looking after the dogs for my brother, who lives in London. It's unlikely they'd be traceable.
I hope you gave it back to him, or the cops will be after you.
Old 05 March 2010, 15:23   #16

bet he wasn't a true brit
Old 05 March 2010, 17:07   #17

apologies, thought you were insinuating that they should have been put down as they "could" kill someone, that we should be punished for what might have happened. Just ranting on the defensive as it still annoys me we had to put them down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
I don't know, I wasn't there.

When does a nip on the arm become a vicious wound?

I didn't voice any 'principle'. I asked your opinion on the law as it stands, should someone have been killed by dogs with 'a bit of previous'.

No. A case of careless or dangerous driving may be appropriate, depending on the circumstances. I suppose, in my defence, I could claim that 'I thought it was a rabbit' and everything would be ok.
What is your point?
Old 05 March 2010, 17:57   #18

Town: Newcastle Staffs
Boat name: blue it
Make: ribcraft 7.5
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki df225
Send a message via AIM to Top banana
Quote:
apologies, thought you were insinuating that they should have been put down as they "could" kill someone, that we should be punished for what might have happened. Just ranting on the defensive as it still annoys me we had to put them down.
Last year our neighbours 9 year old lad went to call for the neighbours lad on the other side of us.three so called pet rotties got out and savaged the young lad, he managed to get home with the dogs attacking him, when his dad answered the door to his horror the rotties tried to get into his house where his mum was feeding a young baby. the lad underwent several major reconstructive operations in the process. The male dog was immediatelly destroyed, and the two female dogs allso had a destruction order placed on them.and they were removed from the premises. The owner had a 5 year ban
fine and community service order placed on her, She went to the High court in london to appeal, and managed to get the two bitches destruction order lifted as long as the dogs were placed where they can never come into contact with children and cannot be walked in a public place as the judge said it was probably the male dog that did most of the damage,

F...in unbelievable,

And you had to have yours put down for nipping Two people.?
Old 06 March 2010, 08:56   #19

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
You should let the owner of the boat know. A small Honda outboard can be removed in minutes, with or without a lock on it - if the thief arrives with the right tools.
Regards the dogs, in my opinion you were acting in self-defence. The fact you'd been starving them for a week is neither here nor there!
Old 06 March 2010, 09:02   #20

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Dont know about owning a dog its a CROCODILE you need now in some areas ,