Old 11 June 2008, 21:57   #1

Town: cork
Boat name: none
Make: HUMBER DESTROYER 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140HP sUZUKI
Engine tell tale???

Have a suzuki 140. Just wondering from other suzuki owners how much water should be coming out of tell tale? The outlet hole is no bigger than a windscreen washer, i have a small stream out of it.Just wondering how much of a stream say ticking over?

Engine is goin ok. Have a warning buzzer anyhow,well it comes on for the first few seconds when i turn on the key the check with all others lights. Just worried cause use to the old 15hp yamaha where the tell tale is like a hose and way bigger pressure.

what is the best way to clean this tell tale if i wanted too?
Old 12 June 2008, 07:45   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
When was the impeller last changed?
Old 12 June 2008, 07:55   #3

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
If the warning buzzer for the first few seconds of starting is what I think, it's fine - mine does that too. The important thing is that it's not beeping at you or a red light isn't on when the engine is running - check the handbook for what the beeps etc.. mean, I'm sure it says in there (I don't have access to mine at the mo).

I have a new impellor fitted every year, and every so often my telltale will output nothing more than a dribble. Stop the engine, raise it out of the water for a few seconds, drop it back in, start up and then the water pees out the hole like a solid rod. I suspect there's a bit of crud stuck in the outlet pipe although I am always wary if I don't see the full amount of water coming out.
If you're unsure, it might be worth speaking to your local Suzy dealer - if anything, just get them to check water pressure when the engine is running.

-Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranp View Post
Have a suzuki 140. Just wondering from other suzuki owners how much water should be coming out of tell tale? The outlet hole is no bigger than a windscreen washer, i have a small stream out of it.Just wondering how much of a stream say ticking over?

Engine is goin ok. Have a warning buzzer anyhow,well it comes on for the first few seconds when i turn on the key the check with all others lights. Just worried cause use to the old 15hp yamaha where the tell tale is like a hose and way bigger pressure.

what is the best way to clean this tell tale if i wanted too?
Old 12 June 2008, 08:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
When was the impeller last changed?
impeller was changed a month ago
Old 12 June 2008, 08:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Brown View Post
If the warning buzzer for the first few seconds of starting is what I think, it's fine - mine does that too. The important thing is that it's not beeping at you or a red light isn't on when the engine is running - check the handbook for what the beeps etc.. mean, I'm sure it says in there (I don't have access to mine at the mo).

I have a new impellor fitted every year, and every so often my telltale will output nothing more than a dribble. Stop the engine, raise it out of the water for a few seconds, drop it back in, start up and then the water pees out the hole like a solid rod. I suspect there's a bit of crud stuck in the outlet pipe although I am always wary if I don't see the full amount of water coming out.
If you're unsure, it might be worth speaking to your local Suzy dealer - if anything, just get them to check water pressure when the engine is running.

-Alex
ye buzzer and lights are doing exactly what book says.
spoke to my suzzy dealer and he said if i think its weak that while the engine is running and the water is coming out to poke a small bit of wire up the hole to free any dirt or salt that maybe there.

On another question.When i'm barely movin in the harbour and trim in i hear a few banging noises.On the trailer up and down i don't here it. Is it just a matter of greacing the ram?
Old 12 June 2008, 13:22   #6

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
The suzzy cooling circuit uses a fairly low pressure compared to some other outboards. About 3psi at tickover and 15psi at full chat. The telltale should pee with the same force that an average bloke would after a couple of pints! As long as it is always flowing I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 12 June 2008, 15:54   #7

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranp View Post
impeller was changed a month ago
If your engine hasn't received a complete cylinder head clean in it's entire life use, would be time for a proper complete maintenance service, that is dismount cylinder heads, clean all water passages from engine block, head, clean/change thermostat, de carbonize pistons and cylinder head insides, change all related gaskets, torque as specified. With time and use internal salt crusts/incrustations begins to be formed and narrow water passages. Cleaning with a wire the water indicator hole won't make any sense if the obstruction is forming inside the engine's water passages. I'm sure the engine will refrigerate better and you'll see a much better water flow once all these related parts are cleaned specially with a new impeller.

Happy Boating
Old 12 June 2008, 16:20   #8

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
My DF140 telltale never was very strong, indeed, it usually took up to 30 secs to appear after each engine start. I did clean the nozzle with a piece of wire on a couple of occasions. Furthermore, I personally believe the overheat warning circuit is very sensitive as mine activated the alarm on two occasions when flushing the engine with a slightly low pressure water supply (hose) and/or poorly positioned muffs. As a consequence, I am of the opinion that if you have any cooling problems the overheat alarm will let you know soon enough!!! Talk it over with your local Suzuki agent.
Old 12 June 2008, 16:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypman View Post
My DF140 telltale never was very strong, indeed, it usually took up to 30 secs to appear after each engine start. I did clean the nozzle with a piece of wire on a couple of occasions. Furthermore, I personally believe the overheat warning circuit is very sensitive as mine activated the alarm on two occasions when flushing the engine with a slightly low pressure water supply (hose) and/or poorly positioned muffs. As a consequence, I am of the opinion that if you have any cooling problems the overheat alarm will let you know soon enough!!! Talk it over with your local Suzuki agent.
well its peeing all the time and i haven't had any warning buzzer or anything. havn't seen any other Df140 tell tale yet so maybe its ok.will clean with a bit of wire anyhow.