Old 21 January 2008, 19:47   #31
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
"Quote" My gut feeling is although Tohatsu make engines for other more expensive manufacturers their own may be pared down a little somewhere so that they sell cheaper . ie although for instance the merc 3.3 is a tohatsu 3.5 is it assembled and finished by merc to a higher standard.

At present time this is not so, because Tohatsu makes not assembles engines for Mercury, Mariner & Nissan with same components and parts. It's known that many manufacturers have technical collaborations in between brands, that is, some Mercury/Mariner models are Tohatsu and Yamaha made, Suzuki/Johnson, etc, will depend on engine manufactured year.

Before representing Tohatsu, used to work with Mariner/Mercury, have personally seen shipping boxes with stickers saying "engine assembled in Japan" , that is with Japanese parts and components.

If compared Tohatsu is cheaper because it's the manufacturer, remember all engines are exported to USA and then reexported to other countries and the supposed engine manufacturer has a wider price range because of larger import costs, handling, brand name, etc.

Here is a letter from the manufacturer, does not specify from what year or how long have been working together.

To Aquadventures/Peru

Dear Luis Montero :

Smaller engines are manufactured by TMC, Tohatsu Marine Corporation which has been invested by Brunswick Corporation (Mercury Marine Corp) Tohatsu Corporation is actually producing core parts for bigger engines than 70 HP.

Tohatsu Corporation presently manufactures engines for Mercury//Mariner/in the range of: 2.5 to 50 HP in 2 strokes and from 2.5 to 30 HP in 4 strokes engines with their own colors and logos in our new plant at Komagane Factory in Japan.

Hope this information answers your questions and doubts.

Best regards,

Tohatsu Corporation
Sales Department Oversea Section

Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2008, 04:05   #32
Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Thats the one i'm buying for my 5.3 Humber but I won't be able to test it until the 29th January. It's difficult being patient in the mean time. I hope 60 is enough.
OK, I tested a 15" prop on the Yamaha 60 2/ with my 5.3 Humber Assault. The prop is too small because at 3/4 throttle I was at 34 kts (1 person 25l fuel) but it wouldn't go any faster at WOT. I'm going to try a 17" prop next week. Hopefully the top end and cruising speed will go up a bit.

In conclusion you could easily go lower than 60 hp but all depends on the conditions you use it in and how many people/equipement you're going to have onboard.

Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2008, 16:35   #33
Boat name: Lady Gwendoline
Make: Pacific 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford Mermaid
Update: Martin Yates Marine in Galgate have supplied and fitted a Suzuki DT65 to the RIB and a higher level of care and service I have yet to see, a real rarity in this day and age. I would recommend them if you're up in the North West. Now all I have to do is wait until this sea drops so I can get her in the water. Should be able to pull the Riverdance off the bank with that engine..... ;-)

Bigj is offline   Reply With Quote