Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 04 May 2006, 13:33   #11
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH
- Bizarre - Mine is slap bang in the middle of the transom. I wonder if any one else here could shed light on that?
It is done to counter the prop's torque steering. Never heard of quite that much; usually just an inch or two.

jky
__________________

__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2006, 15:18   #12
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene
you can very easily calculate the max engine size off your boat using the current CE marking regulations.

Max engine size i HP = (Lenght * Width * 10 - 33) * 1,341

Length is the max length off the boat without engine
Width is the max outside width off your both.

This is the current CE regulations, so if your boat is CE marked this is the rules that apply to your boat

Best Regards
Rene
This is the formula I posted earlier. But it is important to realise this is the maximum power that the manufacturer could spec to get a CE mark on it. That is NOT the same thing as the manufacturers max spec not the same thing as the max safe power. So e.g. my boat gives a max power of around 38 HP with the formula, but the manufacturer states 30 HP.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2006, 13:37   #13
Member
 
Country: Denmark
Town: Copenhagen
Boat name: Nemesis
Make: CAPE 79
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 250 4 stroke
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 252
Send a message via AIM to Rene Send a message via MSN to Rene
Hi Polwart

You are off course correct.
That is the MAX enigine size according to CE marking.

The supplier off the boat might spec. the max engine lower than that. And even that might bee to much.

I have just never earlier seen a boat where the supplier spec. a lower HP that then formula in the CE marking.

I have however seen a lot off supliers spec a HIGHER MAX engine than the spec. but that is off course not legal, and the boats will fail a proper CE marking.

I really don't get people trying to make fraud CE markings on boats.

Latest the Balistic 7.8 marked at max engine 250 HP, when the real value is 225 HP

Best regards
Rene

PS. Safety first...
__________________
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2006, 13:50   #14
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
I would suspect that the reason my manufacturer specs a lower power than the formula gives (with rounding or a few cm on the hull length he could have got it to 40HP) is that the transom might not be strong enough (or well enough mounted) to take the thrust.

Its interesting that weight doesn't feature in the formula.

To be honest I have a 20HP on my boat and its fast enough. A 30HP would maybe get another 5 knots, but the dealer suggested it would be unnecessary and give crap handling at FOT. A number of people whose opinion I value reckon its about the right power for the size of the boat, and any bigger would be over powered.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2006, 14:11   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene
Latest the Balistic 7.8 marked at max engine 250 HP, when the real value is 225 HP
are you sure about that? Not disputing what you say, just that there are shed loads of 7.8's out there with 250's (mine included), a few with twin 200's and a couple with 300's....
__________________
donutsina911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2006, 19:14   #16
Member
 
Country: Denmark
Town: Copenhagen
Boat name: Nemesis
Make: CAPE 79
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 250 4 stroke
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 252
Send a message via AIM to Rene Send a message via MSN to Rene
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsina911
are you sure about that? Not disputing what you say, just that there are shed loads of 7.8's out there with 250's (mine included), a few with twin 200's and a couple with 300's....

There are 2 different rules in wich you can calculate the max engine power off your boat.

1) is the formula stated by Polwart and myself, thats the easy one. That rule apply to all RIB's no question asked. This is the "normal" way to calculate max enigine on any CE marked boat.

2) States that you can put a bigger engine on your RIB if you follow some standards. I don't have them all, but maybe Polwart does.

but here goes....
a) the factory that is building the boat (not the importer or reseller), is to supply the boat as key finished. (this means incl. engine all consoles, a-frames and electronic)

b) the factory have to make a sea trial in whích they have to complete different taskes with the boat within a specific area.

c) You as the owner can not change anything on the boat that will change weight distribution. (add a new bigger battery, add a new seat or even remove the a-frame)

The list is longer, but if you as the owner of the boat change anything you will make the CE marking invalid.

And since boating dynamics in SA, dosn't supply the boat finished with consoles and engine mounted you would be breaking the CE marking by putting a 250 HP engine on the back off your balistic 7.8

max HP = ((7.8 * 2.55 * 10) - 33) * 1.314 = 217,9926 HP

That means that if I have the width right (from memory) you can not even put a 225 one it.

Or maybe the factor from KW to HP is wrong, I really thought the max Hp on balistic 7,8 was 225, but I might be wrong on that.

Regards
Rene

Polwart - You wouldn't happen to have a copy off the complete ISO standard for RIB's that I could bye / borrow from you ?
__________________
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2006, 15:47   #17
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene
Polwart - You wouldn't happen to have a copy off the complete ISO standard for RIB's that I could bye / borrow from you ?
I'm afraid not. The quote I posted was an extract from a Marine Accident Investigation Branch report (which considered whether the wrong size of engine contributed to an accident - they concluded it did not). The ISO specs are downloadable but cost about £100

And - as far as I can see you are correct on the kW-HP conversion.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2006, 16:03   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene
There are 2 different rules in wich you can calculate the max engine power off your boat.

1) is the formula stated by Polwart and myself, thats the easy one. That rule apply to all RIB's no question asked. This is the "normal" way to calculate max enigine on any CE marked boat.

2) States that you can put a bigger engine on your RIB if you follow some standards. I don't have them all, but maybe Polwart does.

but here goes....
a) the factory that is building the boat (not the importer or reseller), is to supply the boat as key finished. (this means incl. engine all consoles, a-frames and electronic)

b) the factory have to make a sea trial in whích they have to complete different taskes with the boat within a specific area.

c) You as the owner can not change anything on the boat that will change weight distribution. (add a new bigger battery, add a new seat or even remove the a-frame)

The list is longer, but if you as the owner of the boat change anything you will make the CE marking invalid.

And since boating dynamics in SA, dosn't supply the boat finished with consoles and engine mounted you would be breaking the CE marking by putting a 250 HP engine on the back off your balistic 7.8

max HP = ((7.8 * 2.55 * 10) - 33) * 1.314 = 217,9926 HP

That means that if I have the width right (from memory) you can not even put a 225 one it.

Or maybe the factor from KW to HP is wrong, I really thought the max Hp on balistic 7,8 was 225, but I might be wrong on that.

Regards
Rene

Polwart - You wouldn't happen to have a copy off the complete ISO standard for RIB's that I could bye / borrow from you ?
The CE plate rates the RIB at 250, is to be MCA coded with this set up (surveyed by Searider) and insured as such - I'm confused.

Even more confusing is that Boating Dynamix indicate on their site that 300 or 2 x 250 is the max.

http://www.boatingdynamix.co.za/RIB_boat.htm

Will ask JBT at Ribex....
__________________
donutsina911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2006, 14:14   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 475
500hp Beast

awesome rib with 2 x 250 e-tecs....
__________________

__________________
donutsina911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.