Old 21 August 2004, 05:21   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I do know of an engine which needs three pulls of the choke (push it in and out three times) before then pulling once more and leaving it out. The engine then starts fine. God knows how they found this out, but it is the only way to get it to fire up.
Old 21 August 2004, 07:09   #12

Town: Ardnamurchan
Make: Domar Corsair
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 20HP
MMSI: What?
It always used to fire first pull with choke out, and then with choke in again first pull and run.

Old 21 August 2004, 07:19   #13

Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Mr-d, if you can't fix it, you could always buy my lovely 25hp Evinrude. Great runner, absolute bargin at 200! (Could get delivery to you for 60)

Fixing your outboard on your 18th birthday, that's dedication!
Old 21 August 2004, 08:33   #14

What year is it?

Nah, haven't exactly got 260 to spend, and if i did i should probably invest it in a driving license/car.

Im not fixing it today, i have given up until i receive the seloc manual + bits.

Looks like there might be something wrong with the crankshaft or seals around it. Only one way to find out

Just received the 303 test package, after bullying my dad we might actually go and pick the boat up and ill have a go at it... I'll post pics on the other thread.
Old 21 August 2004, 17:21   #15
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
You need to do a compression check to make sure they are up to speck and not more than 15psi difference between cylinders. Are the droplets water or fuel? The fuel pump diaphragm could have split, causing fuel to pass into the crankcase so will cause flooding when engine fires up. If it is water then being a 1978 engine I would suggest removing the side plate and cylinder head to check the water jackets have not corroded through causing water to enter the cylinder.

Is it only one cylinder with the droplets on? If its the bottom one and its fuel check the fuel pump diaphragm. If its water check the water jackets or maybe the lower crankseal or lower water jackets under powerhead.

Remember its a 1978 engine and in reality its not going to be worth spending more than a couple of hundred quid to get it working.
Old 21 August 2004, 18:25   #16

i have no way of doing a compression check, i lack the tools.

As for the fuel pump idea, it's a carb, and it draws fuel as far as i know.

I have only once seen the droplets, they looked like water sitting on a oily base, but could have been fuel.

i suspect it is just a gasket somewhere that is broke.
It could also be that the needle in the carb does not seat properly.. but i'd have to check.. as you might know i have a daddy.

Well, yes, but have you tried finding a 20HP engine in working condition for under 500 quid? (in reasonable condition)

this thing has everything there, but it just does not run... i suspect it is something really stupid that needs to be replaced.. and whatever i do with it, it should be worth taking apart and having a look at, possibly not worth it taking it to a professional guy and get charged a few hundred quid.
Old 21 August 2004, 18:33   #17

Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Engine: Inboard diesel
Quote:
Well, yes, but have you tried finding a 20HP engine in working condition for under 500 quid? (in reasonable condition)
Yes, it's sitting in my shed. That's the end of my shameless advertising
Old 22 August 2004, 07:38   #18
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-d
i have no way of doing a compression check, i lack the tools.
As for the fuel pump idea, it's a carb, and it draws fuel as far as i know.
A compression check is something you need to do as the symptoms you describe could be due to a lack of compression.

Your engine still needs a fuel pump to get the fuel to the carb!! It won't draw it through itself, unless you have an integral which makes it gravity fed!!!
Old 22 August 2004, 09:46   #19

It's only a 20HP.
The carb has a float in it which regulates the ammount of fuel taken in. As soon as the 2nd stroke is done, a small one way valve will open to the crankshalft, Sucking fuel into it, and therefor drawing fuel up through the hose to. The fuel line is about 2metres (6 feet) long.

it has been running without a fuel pump all its life, and i believe that it is still the stock tank, but the hoses have been replaced (1997 is what they say)
Old 22 August 2004, 11:10   #20

Town: cheshire
Boat name: Magpie
Length: 5m +
Engine: 55hp yam
Sounds like a fuel prob to me mr d, I trick i use sometimes is to remove the cover/air filter type thing from the front of the carbs, so as you can see the air inlets on the carbs, has it one or two, anyway as one of the other guys has said to you get your self a tin of easy start, and if sombody can spray some into the air intakes as you crank it over, if the carbs are not giving fuel it will start on the easy start, and if it does you know you will have to check the fuel sys, how long since it last ran ok, if it was some time or you are useing very old fuel you can get gum in the carbs from the old fuel ect, and it will block things up, the easy start spray you can also take the plugs out squirt some in the bores the crank it over it should start and run on that but only for a few moments, I wonder when you say the plugs had dropplets on them, when you are moving the engine around you are not getting the lower leg to high and letting water run back up the leg and into the bores by any chance, seen this done many times, bugger to start after, let us know how you go on.

Nick.