Click Here to Login

Old 19 June 2009, 22:34   #1

Boat name: Bullfrog
Make: DSB - Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Petrol, 55
Engine Running On 'Guardian Mode'

If anyone could shed some light on this please:-

If an outboard has low water pressure and goes into guardian mode - how do you get out of his mode?
I was reading the post yesterday with the guy with the Suzuki Dt55 with low water pressure - this happened to me a while back - the engine cut back to 3000rpm. At the time the guy who gave me a tow in said it was water in my fuel so We messed for 30mins on the engine but no luck - it would start then cutout. After around an hour later it fired up no problem and got us back the 10mins to home.
At the time I was convinced it was a fuel issue, but after draining my tanks and adding a water/fuel separator it happened a few times afterwards on different outings - UNTIL I changed the Impeller and cleaned out the water pump.

So if it goes into Guardian mode - how do you reset? Do you switch off for a while or what do you do just to get you home?

Thanks
Old 19 June 2009, 22:40   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.N View Post
So if it goes into Guardian mode - how do you reset? Do you switch off for a while or what do you do just to get you home?
the aim of guardian mode is to get you home, albeit slowly. In terms of "resetting" as you saw it will reset itself when the "fault condition" disappears. So if the fault is too hot when it cools down, if low oil then when oil is topped up, if the fault if poor water pressure when you get the pressure back (which might need an impellor change or could be as simple as clearing a plastic bag off the inlet). More sophisticated engines with electrickery might need some special process to reset the fault code.
Old 20 June 2009, 10:31   #3

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Most slightly older Suzukis, including my old early 90's DT55 and my current 98 DT200EFI have an orange reset button under the hood or on the outside of the lower tray with 'RESET' cast into it. Push once and you're out of guardian mode.

However the only time either engine went into guardian mode it was due to low 2-stroke oil level, and topping it up reset it automatically.

Nasher.