Old 11 March 2008, 19:55   #21

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreworiordan View Post
Got a 40hp Mariner XRNLI (2004) the engine is running fine, when i start it up its perfect but as soon as i put into gear she runs for a min but when i power up she dies off, i cant get full trottle..its like the engine is stopping itself from running at full trottle...well anything over tick-over speed. i first thought it may be fuel problem but the fuel appears to be ok, then i thought spark plug problems but the appear to be ok....anyone know what it may be...im going to get it serviced on wednesday but im trying find out what is going on....thanks guys!
Check the Mariner hose, some are interior double hose which tends to break to small pieces because of lousy quality and stuck primer bulb, hose connectors, and gasoline filters. Some customers problems have been reported on this issue, and personally had a awfull debris stuck in all the gas path from tank to gas pump which gave me the same problems you are having. You can unscrew the gas filter, put a towel underneath, prime the primer bulb to see the amount of gasoline going to the filter, if the flow is very little and the primer bulb turns hard, definitely an obstruction on the entire hose path. Unscrew tank filter, clean, entire hose and gas filter.

If this is the problem, remove completely the internal plastic hose from all the external hose extention, will be a hell of a job in time and patient, better replace same hose lenght with appropiate gas hose without the interior double hose. Hunt properly... Let us know what was the final dealer technical vredict

Happy Boating
Old 13 March 2008, 16:01   #22

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbypower View Post
You should always drain the Carbs after use if the engine is not going to be used for a day or two. The best way is to disconnect the engine fuel line whilst it is running. The engine will then just die when fuel has gone. Best time to do it is whilst flushing out with fresh water. I take it that you do flush the egine after use,
No offense, but I'll dispute that. Fuel remaining in the carbs is a problem when the more volatile stuff flashes off and the remaining junk coats, well, everything. In that case, a disassembly and cleaning is called for.

Fuel should be fine, in the bowls or in the tank, for at least a few weeks. A couple of days is not going to be an issue.

Simply removing the fuel hose from the motor doesn't do it (at least it didn't on my Honda), as the quick disconnect fuel connector is a dry-break device. Disconnecting it and running the motor causes it to shut down due to a vacuum in the closed off fuel system rather than running out of fuel.

jky
Old 13 March 2008, 16:24   #23

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Might depend on the engine - my old Suz you could watch the level of fuel drop in the filter if you disconnected with the lid off.

The new Yam on the other hand gave me a surprise petrol shower when I had the carbs off to check them over after I bought it!

I guess it depends how good that ball valve on your connector is.....
Old 13 March 2008, 16:40   #24
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
No offense, but I'll dispute that. Fuel remaining in the carbs is a problem when the more volatile stuff flashes off and the remaining junk coats, well, everything. In that case, a disassembly and cleaning is called for.

Fuel should be fine, in the bowls or in the tank, for at least a few weeks. A couple of days is not going to be an issue.

Simply removing the fuel hose from the motor doesn't do it (at least it didn't on my Honda), as the quick disconnect fuel connector is a dry-break device. Disconnecting it and running the motor causes it to shut down due to a vacuum in the closed off fuel system rather than running out of fuel.

jky
Jky - thats certainly what I was told when I bought mine (yam). The dealer also said worry much less about it with autolube than with old style premix 2 strokes.
Old 13 March 2008, 18:15   #25

Boat name: Ocean Escapes
Make: Excalibur
Length: 9m +
Engine: 150Yamaha&300Verado
Right, we might have a result! I brought my engine to the local dealer and he had a look at it... He said he found what looked like bits of wax in the carb a few small bits, he said he's 99% sure thats what it was, he also put new spark plugs in for me, So im collecting it saturday morning. Will keep ye updated!

thanks for all your advice guys!!!!
Old 13 March 2008, 23:08   #26

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Andrew ask the dealer to show you where the drain screws are on the bottom of the carbs .
Just opening them and draining the fuel out can often get you out of trouble if there is muck or water getting in there from contaminated fuel or knackered fuel pipe as mentioned earlier .
Old 13 March 2008, 23:13   #27
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
Andrew ask the dealer to show you where the drain screws are on the bottom of the carbs
If they are ex-RNLI they would have little brass (?) valves/taps fitted there as part of their post immersion restart protection unless for some reason they remove that when they decomission them?
Old 17 March 2008, 14:17   #28

Boat name: Ocean Escapes
Make: Excalibur
Length: 9m +
Engine: 150Yamaha&300Verado
Problem Solved!!

Just back from my test run, drove my boat with my 40hp, and yes the engine is running perfect! no problems, Had to be the dirt in the Carb...hit some rough weather out there got soaked but its good to be back on the water, BRING ON THE SUMMER!!!!

www.quicksilver430.blogspot.com

<< check out my boat!