Old 12 July 2004, 16:52   #1

Town: Greenock area
Boat name: Joni Chimpo
Make: Narwhall
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp Mariner
Send a message via MSN to GaryD
Engine No Worky?

Help... seem to be having a bit of a problem with my Mariner 50 ELPTO. It is approx a 1994 engine.

Went from Kip Marina to Loch striven with no problems and no running problems. Beached the boat and had a BBQ, when I then tried to restart the engine it would turn over but did not want to kick into life!

Luckily I had two other friends with boats and was able to be towed back to Kip. I have checked over the engine, it appears to be getting fuel to the carbs, and plugs, it also turns over without a problem, just doesnt want to start! There was a weak spark, but since cleaning up the main fuse the spark appears to be stronger, however it still refuses to start?

Cant understand how the engine ran fine all day, on the journey over it was switched on and off 2 or 3 times without any problems however after being left four a couple of hours it now refuses to start?

Only one other symptom that I noticed was that normally when I turn the key in the ignition it lets out a beep before it starts. It doesnt appear to be doing this either at this moment in time?

Help...........
Old 12 July 2004, 17:21   #2

Town: London
Make: Larson
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D4 260hp DP
Kill Cord?

Did you put your kill cord on, sounds like you may have left it off, or there is a problem with the switch IMHO

P.S. I am no engineer, just done the same before myself
Old 12 July 2004, 17:27   #3

Yeah thot it could be something to do with the kill switch but it is connected and still getting a spark.

I would imagine if the kill switch isnt on, it wouldnt get a spark? Not sure tho...

Cheers for the info.....
Old 12 July 2004, 17:46   #4

Town: London
Make: Larson
Engine: Volvo D4 260hp DP
Another possibility

Another possibility is that the battery does not have enough power to start it, again I have had this problem when I have been using the boat overnight with power used on the boat, and in the morning had to switch back to battery 1 to start as battery 2 had been nearly run down. I didn't get the peep either, but switching to my running battery did the job.

Excuse me if I am talking nonsense, just trying to help
Old 12 July 2004, 17:55   #5

Cheers for the help Pete... your thinking is exaclty the same as mine has been.... had the battery out and charged it, then put a meter across it to make sure there was enough charge in it. Still wouldnt start!
Old 12 July 2004, 18:33   #6

Town: Petersfield
Make: Avon
Length: 4
Engine: Outboard 60hp
Gary
I have the 60hp version of this engine. I have just looked through the manual and it says -

When the ignition switch is initally turned on the the warning horn will sound to test the system. Failure of this test indicates a problem,have the outboard checked by a dealer.

I know that does not solve your problem but it may be a clue. I will keep looking through the book for a possible solution.
Jason
Old 12 July 2004, 18:54   #7

Cheers Brodie, looks like i might need to take the boat to the nearest Mariner Dealer!
Old 12 July 2004, 19:28   #8

Town: Petersfield
Make: Avon
Length: 4
Engine: Outboard 60hp
Gary
I have read though the Clymer and it says if the warning system does not self test it is most likely to be a bad connection in the engines main wiring harness or ignition switch. From what I can see in the manual, if it is not one of these faults then it will be a trip to the dealer. I know the main wiring connector can vibrate lose at the engine end. Mine has a cable tie round it because it came out once and the engine died.
Jason
Old 12 July 2004, 20:00   #9

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
If it had come lose would it still spark though?
Old 12 July 2004, 20:07   #10
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
I have come across a similar problem with a 90hp Mariner on one of our club dive boats. The main engine harness loom plug had got damp and started to bridge across 2 terminals. This then caused the engine to have weak then no spark. This particular engine developed a mis-fire before hand but once switched off would not re-start. It would not happen every time and sometimes not mis-fire but once switched off it lost its spark. I cleaned and dried the plug and it has been fine since. Worth checking.
Old 12 July 2004, 20:17   #11

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Hi

I'd suggest its not the key switch thats at fault, if it was you wouldn't be able to turn the engine over as there wouldn't be a complete circuit, i'd also not suggest the problem is the battery losing charge, if it was you would have completely flatterned it and would not have been able to turn it over at all, all you'd have got was a click from the solenoid.

IMHO get it to someone who knows engines, sorry i can much more help than this, keep us posted though as this one's interesting

Old 12 July 2004, 22:46   #12

Town: Exeter
Boat name: gazza's girl
Make: rib-X
Length: 5.75
Engine: Suzuki 90 4 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryD
Help... seem to be having a bit of a problem with my Mariner 50 ELPTO. It is approx a 1994 engine.

Went from Kip Marina to Loch striven with no problems and no running problems. Beached the boat and had a BBQ, when I then tried to restart the engine it would turn over but did not want to kick into life!

Luckily I had two other friends with boats and was able to be towed back to Kip. I have checked over the engine, it appears to be getting fuel to the carbs, and plugs, it also turns over without a problem, just doesnt want to start! There was a weak spark, but since cleaning up the main fuse the spark appears to be stronger, however it still refuses to start?

Cant understand how the engine ran fine all day, on the journey over it was switched on and off 2 or 3 times without any problems however after being left four a couple of hours it now refuses to start?

Only one other symptom that I noticed was that normally when I turn the key in the ignition it lets out a beep before it starts. It doesnt appear to be doing this either at this moment in time?

Help...........

Gary

had the same engine, similar year.........

Have you checked the cam / ignition timing......

The cam belt tensioner on mine was not fittrd properly from the factory... hence it jumped a tooth......

Worth a try...........

Check that when the big line on the fly wheel is aligned with the pointer that 1 on the cam gear is align with the timing mark

Gazza
Old 13 July 2004, 12:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tue
I have come across a similar problem with a 90hp Mariner on one of our club dive boats. The main engine harness loom plug had got damp and started to bridge across 2 terminals. This then caused the engine to have weak then no spark. This particular engine developed a mis-fire before hand but once switched off would not re-start. It would not happen every time and sometimes not mis-fire but once switched off it lost its spark. I cleaned and dried the plug and it has been fine since. Worth checking.
Well checked all the wiring and connectors, all seem to be okay.

Think it has beat me and like BilgeRat says, is time to be given to the proffesionals!

Gona have one last look at it tommorow, then its time for a phone call to the nearest Mariner Dealer!

Cheers so far folks...
Old 13 July 2004, 12:25   #14
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza
The cam belt tensioner on mine was not fitted properly

There's no cam belt on a two stroke engine. My instinct is that the problem is in the main harness but some of these engines were fitted with a mercury filled safety switch which killed the engine if it became inverted. This is located portside near the flywheel cover. They have been known to cause a partial/complete earth thereby weakening/killing the spark. Try disconnecting the black/yellow earth wire from it.

DM
Old 02 August 2004, 13:04   #15

Well, had a proffesional out to look at the problem last Wednesday, checked over all the connectors and wiring. Turned out that the bullit connector on the white wire from the trigger was corroded. He cleaned it all up and the engine started no bother. Thot everything was fine from then on......

Took the RIB out on Friday morning, before starting work at 12. Down to Rothesay, then up the cost to Dunoon and the Holy Loch. As I was passing Dunnoon, my first tank of petrol ran out and the engine stopped. Changed over tanks and primed it, however the boat wouldnt start again. Managed to row to the shore, no spark, again being the problem. I sat playing about with the wiring on the trigger before I managed to get a tow home!

Since then I have changed the trigger with one I know is good and working from another engine the same. The engine still cant seem to get a spark.

Gotta wait now for two weeks till the proffesional gets back from holiday and will be able to get a look at it!

Not very happy.....
Old 03 August 2004, 07:59   #16

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Gary,
I had a similar problem on a Mariner 75 (one of a pair).
1. Get an HT lead and try to strech it...not to much to break it though, and run your fingers down the length of it to see if any wires are poking out, if there is the leads have broke down. I have had the twice.
2. It could be that the magnets in the flywheel have broken down, get a finger agin and run it around the lower lip of the fly wheel and see if there are any black deposits that could be dust from the magnets.
3. Take to Alan Milton at the Outboard Shop in Tarbert Street Gourock, what he doesnt know about them is not worth knowing.
Good Luck
Andy
P.s If you break down again give me a call (my mobile is on the bottom of my e-mails). I can usually duke away from work
Old 03 August 2004, 13:30   #17

Cheers Andy, will give them a check over the next couple of days....

Was just lucky that my mate wasn't working that day and was willing to come over to Dunoon beach to meet me.

Ive had Duncan Andrews looking over the electrics last week, but he went away on holiday on Friday. Have you ever had any dealings with him, if so what ya reckon?

Cheers again.....
Old 08 August 2004, 11:55   #18

Well finally sussed out what the problem has been. The stator is gubbed!

Got a mate to try the stator from his engine. It is the same engine and year, just labelled mercury instead of mariner ( I think they were the same company at this point).

The boat runs no problem with his stator, once mine was put back on it wouldn't go.

So that'sm pretty much sorted it. Just need to get a new stator. Anyone got any ideas how much am looking to pay for a new one?

Cheers for all the help and advice with this problem!

Gary