Old 02 June 2006, 08:06   #1

Town: Stockholm
Make: KR7
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 150 H.O
Engine for Chasecraft 650?

What do you recomend? I want fun/speed and some economic if all 3 are possible.
2-Stroke Evinrude 135-200 hp maybe.
Old 02 June 2006, 14:26   #2
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
200ETEC or a 200 Opti for grin factor
Old 03 June 2006, 11:24   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I reckon that 200hp would be rather over powered on that hull, especially if economy is an issue. A 150 would be plenty.

John
Old 03 June 2006, 12:18   #4
ADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
I reckon that 200hp would be rather over powered on that hull, especially if economy is an issue. A 150 would be plenty.

John
Johns probably right, I believe its rated for a max of 200hp anyway. There is one in Christchurch with a 175efi on it and that shifts.
Old 04 June 2006, 08:44   #5

chasecraft

Hmmm you have probably right with the engine size, but do you think the 150 is so much more economic than a 200. Merc or Evinrude? I canīt find any test with engines from 150 - 200 hp, 2-stroke.
Old 04 June 2006, 09:35   #6
ADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by joakimhansson
Hmmm you have probably right with the engine size, but do you think the 150 is so much more economic than a 200. Merc or Evinrude? I canīt find any test with engines from 150 - 200 hp, 2-stroke.
PM Hugh Jardon, he recently had to make a similar decision for his 6.5m Osprey Vipermax and concluded with the 200 Optimax.
Old 04 June 2006, 10:31   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joakimhansson
Hmmm you have probably right with the engine size, but do you think the 150 is so much more economic than a 200.
I guess that you'd be unlikely to run a 200 flat out on that boat very much, so the fuel consumption gain with a 150 may not be huge.

There's certainly a difference in purchase price though, which would pay for a fair bit of fuel!

John
Old 04 June 2006, 10:48   #8

Town: poole
Make: ring
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150xr2
looking at rpm and gph figures found on the net and in magazines for outboard 2 stroke's, I think if the 200 does not cost a lot more than the 150 to buy, and assuming them both to be the same capacity and weight, the 200 may prove more economic due to running a higher pitch prop and therefore running at a lower rpm for the same speed, obviously over a certain high rpm it will use more fuel to produce more hp over the 150. this is of course a loose generalisation as there are so many other facors when rigging and setting up a boat. A mate who has been out on a 650 with 150hp merc not opti said it picked up and accelerated very well and ran level with no chinning to around 60mph, he also said the sides were very high you tended to sit in it rather than on it, and the tubes were well out the water causing he felt much less drag than other types of rib's but the trade off may be it tilted if you sat on the sides at rest, oh well you can't have everything
Old 04 June 2006, 17:40   #9

thanks, ok! for me a crazy 200 2-stroke sounds fun...
Old 04 June 2006, 19:00   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribit
A mate who has been out on a 650 with 150hp merc not opti said it picked up and accelerated very well and ran level with no chinning to around 60mph, he also said the sides were very high you tended to sit in it rather than on it, and the tubes were well out the water causing he felt much less drag than other types of rib's but the trade off may be it tilted if you sat on the sides at rest, oh well you can't have everything
They also have a very pronounced reverse chine (a bit like a Boston Whaler) which means that they corner very flat, and don't bank into turns much. Make sure you tell your passengers to hold on really tight if you plan to throw it around at high speed!

John
Old 05 June 2006, 15:40   #11

Do you know how many boats Chasecraft had built. I was in contact with them for 5-6 agoe(one girlfriend and 2 houses agoe). But I canīt find anything in Rib Magazine or any ad from them. And in Ribmagazine, the guide to buy a rib they didnīt exist. Ok, they are probably small but did they build good boats?