Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 19 August 2012, 13:22   #21
Member
 
Peter_C's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,485
How does it restart? Do you have to crank for awhile or does it fire right back up?

Sounds like a fuel issue to me, but without seeing and hearing it... First thing would be to check/replace the fuel filter(s). If you don't already have one a nice canister type fuel filter with water separating capabilities is nice to have. I would check to make sure the fuel lines are in good shape and not letting air leak in. Check the fuel pump for pressure and volume. Again a stream of propane shot into the intake as it is dying would confirm it is fuel, but only do it for a second as the motor will not be lubed properly.

If it were a carb problem, most likely it would be more consistent and not run up to full throttle in the first place.
__________________

__________________
Peter_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2012, 13:45   #22
Member
 
lockieboi's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C
How does it restart? Do you have to crank for awhile or does it fire right back up?

Sounds like a fuel issue to me, but without seeing and hearing it... First thing would be to check/replace the fuel filter(s). If you don't already have one a nice canister type fuel filter with water separating capabilities is nice to have. I would check to make sure the fuel lines are in good shape and not letting air leak in. Check the fuel pump for pressure and volume. Again a stream of propane shot into the intake as it is dying would confirm it is fuel, but only do it for a second as the motor will not be lubed properly.

If it were a carb problem, most likely it would be more consistent and not run up to full throttle in the first place.
It starts first pull straight after cutting out.

I'm a bit of a novice so I think I may to it to someone to look at.

I checked the fuel filter under the hood and it looked ok to my untrained eye.
__________________

__________________
lockieboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2012, 13:47   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 10hp Yam / 150hp opt
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,894
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom465 View Post
Well I guess that could be your problem.

For mine it turned out to be low oil. My oil tank had about 1/3 left in it which is enough for about 5 more trips out for me and looked fine.

Turned out when I was cruising along the engine was level and then when I went WOT the boat rises up and would think that I had low oil. It would lower the limiter and would then decrease the lower the oil is.

Jizm made a comment about the "get you home mode" so I thought id just fill up the tank to see if it made a difference. Went out and she was fine !

Note to self, have more than 1/3 oil in the tank Big thanks to Jizm or I would still be trying to fignure out what it could be....
My old 30 yam did the same too!
__________________
Searider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2012, 14:40   #24
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,925
RIBase
When you squeezed the fuel bulb, did it "firm up", or remain soft, or firm up and go soft again quickly?

You could have a dodgy fuel bulb (damaged valve) or an air leak somewhere in the line, letting air into the bulb. Equally, the fuel pick up may be blocked or damaged or your fuel tank vent might be clogged...

The possibilities are endless!

Oh yeah, do you have a bowl fuel filter fitted to the system???
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2012, 15:11   #25
Member
 
lockieboi's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 435
The primer bulb did go soft again but after a short while. But it did the same when not at full throttle and it wasn't a problem then.

The only fuel filter is under the hood.
__________________
lockieboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2012, 18:16   #26
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,925
RIBase
I'd go over the fuel supply if I were you. It does sound like it's either restricted or leaking air in somewhere. Stick your spare primer bulb into the hose and see how that goes. Check all the joints and make sure that the fuel pickup is clear.
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2012, 02:19   #27
Member
 
lockieboi's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk
I'd go over the fuel supply if I were you. It does sound like it's either restricted or leaking air in somewhere. Stick your spare primer bulb into the hose and see how that goes. Check all the joints and make sure that the fuel pickup is clear.
When you say fuel pickup....................?
__________________
lockieboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2012, 02:43   #28
Member
 
Peter_C's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockieboi View Post
When you say fuel pickup....................?
Inside the gas tank. Any kind of air leak could cause a problem.
__________________
Peter_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2012, 02:45   #29
Member
 
lockieboi's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C
Inside the gas tank. Any kind of air leak could cause a problem.
Ok thanks, how should I check that's ok?
__________________
lockieboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2012, 11:11   #30
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Do you have access to something that pulls a vacuum? Brake bleeder, large syringe, something like that?

If so, close off the tank vent, apply a vaccum to whatever part of the line you want to test, and see if the vacuum holds.

You could, I suppose, also use pressure, but be careful not to overpressurize, and it won't (well, shouldn't) go through the primer bulb.

Neither of these will tell if you've got a blackage.

jky
__________________

__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.