Old 02 April 2011, 10:09   #1

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Engine dead

Well gent's as i suspected ,i brought a pile of ****e,my fault should of walked away when it would not start properly,but my impataince got the better of me,i am well and truly gutted,£370.00 down the drain,god knows how long i can save that again,got 200 spare that won t buy me nowt ,just more junk,so got a Martiner 20hp running on one pot,****ed up crankshaft,no sprares,they are hard to get now,how much scrap value?I am paying £400 a year insurance,club fees,yard fees and no ****ing engine for the Earl,so looks like i will not be out this summer on her,well gutted i could cry,see what happens ,may just have to sell up what i have,still got me small set up,can t justify paying fees when boat is sitting there not being used,still there are people worse off then me and i still got me health,just,lol,SO I HAVE PUT IT IN THE FOR SALE SECTION,THORNY
Old 02 April 2011, 17:16   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbackflound View Post
Well gent's as i suspected ,i brought a pile of ****e,my fault should of walked away when it would not start properly,but my impataince got the better of me,i am well and truly gutted,£370.00 down the drain,god knows how long i can save that again,got 200 spare that won t buy me nowt ,just more junk,so got a Martiner 20hp running on one pot,****ed up crankshaft,no sprares,they are hard to get now,how much scrap value?I am paying £400 a year insurance,club fees,yard fees and no ****ing engine for the Earl,so looks like i will not be out this summer on her,well gutted i could cry,see what happens ,may just have to sell up what i have,still got me small set up,can t justify paying fees when boat is sitting there not being used,still there are people worse off then me and i still got me health,just,lol,SO I HAVE PUT IT IN THE FOR SALE SECTION,THORNY
If parts are hard to get there may well be other people out there who will happily pay for the working bits. You might be surprised - I suspect broken down for parts you could get most of your money back.
Old 02 April 2011, 18:28   #3

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
Post up the serial number less the last 2 digits. I have a crank here with 2 conrods that may fit your engine.
Old 02 April 2011, 19:39   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie View Post
Post up the serial number less the last 2 digits. I have a crank here with 2 conrods that may fit your engine.
Many thanks for the offer,decided im gonna sell for scrap and save up for a year and get somtehing newer,possibly a 4 stroke Honda 20hp,not mechanical minded so even taking to be fitted would cost me lots more money,better off with a model that you can still get bits for,again tho many thanks.
Old 03 April 2011, 22:17   #5

Town: London
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp
I know how it feels like when engines don't work! but don't be too sad.

I must admit that your decision of buying a brand new 4 stroke is def a superb idea. My first outboard was a 2.3hp Honda! more than 6 years ago, and I still believe it was the best engine I have ever owned! Simply because I bought it brand new and I opened it from the box myself!

There are good engines for sale, like a good reliable 20hp should not be more than £400, but again as you have experienced it is a risk....

If you buy it from a GOOD and Well known marine engineer/dealer then you at least know they are not going to play with their reputation because of just £400....
Old 04 April 2011, 19:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandad View Post

I must admit that your decision of buying a brand new 4 stroke is def a superb idea. My first outboard was a 2.3hp Honda! more than 6 years ago, and I still believe it was the best engine I have ever owned! Simply because I bought it brand new and I opened it from the box myself!

There are good engines for sale, like a good reliable 20hp should not be more than £400, but again as you have experienced it is a risk....

If you buy it from a GOOD and Well known marine engineer/dealer then you at least know they are not going to play with their reputation because of just £400....
Bang on ,to true a word there,sound advice
Old 04 April 2011, 22:21   #7

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:

Where can these little beauties be found?
Old 04 April 2011, 22:40   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:

Still not cheap, even for a 2007 model with 10 hours on the clock.
http://www.willsmarine.co.uk/product...ndex_1308.html

Quote:
£400 for a 20hp 4-stroke and this might fly!

Privately, £1,400 buys you a nearly new Suzuki DF15hp with 20 hours from new.
http://www.findafishingboat.com/suzu...tboard/DS32171

Or trade, a 2007 Yamaha 15hp (2-stroke) with 3 months warranty for £1,695.
http://www.penninemarine.com/product...rod=379&xSec=7
Old 05 April 2011, 08:12   #9

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Thinking a bit more positivley, you may find the gearbox could go for around the £200 mark. I punted my old Yam box for that sort of cash, and the tilt assist ram (I assume it's not PT) is likely shared between lots of other engines.

Ther other way of looking at the gubbed crank - if you can get a replacement, and assuming your cyls arent scored, I took the view that I could ether spend the money on a total rebuild or another seconhand of unknown history. I reckon I've spent around £600 between new pistons, a rebore, & other parrts that I decided to just change seeing as it was in bits anyway. Net result I have an engine that is essentially 0 hrs and will be of known history.

So what actually happened? If it's still running on 1 pot then it can't be totally written off?
Old 05 April 2011, 17:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Thinking a bit more positivley, you may find the gearbox could go for around the £200 mark. I punted my old Yam box for that sort of cash, and the tilt assist ram (I assume it's not PT) is likely shared between lots of other engines.

Ther other way of looking at the gubbed crank - if you can get a replacement, and assuming your cyls arent scored, I took the view that I could ether spend the money on a total rebuild or another seconhand of unknown history. I reckon I've spent around £600 between new pistons, a rebore, & other parrts that I decided to just change seeing as it was in bits anyway. Net result I have an engine that is essentially 0 hrs and will be of known history.

So what actually happened? If it's still running on 1 pot then it can't be totally written off?
HI there thanks for your post,which prompted me to ring up the dealer who has been working on it,i asked what is the realistic chance of reparing it,and was told could be throwing bad money after good,and getting the parts as well, not a right off ,but i just can t be throwing more money away,this engine is worth more to someone who has one and needs parts and can fit it them selfs,as said still running on 1 pot,im gonna save and get me something more younger and more easier to get parts,and may even go HP on a new one?idealy would swap it for a good running 10hp short shaft.
Old 05 April 2011, 22:06   #11

Update

May well be getting a Johson 20hp for £150.00,if it runs,need a prop my prop from my mariner may well fit i have been told,fingers crossed.
Old 05 April 2011, 23:05   #12
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Nice one!

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote