Old 08 December 2013, 14:46   #1

Town: England
Boat name: boat
Make: Zodiac Cadet340Activ
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Mariner
Engine choice

Still struggling to find a nice clean 15hp short shaft under my £700 budget. Can I ask the forum if this is a reasonable choice? Looks like an early model & not sure if spares could be an issue?
I appreciate I need to check general condition, corrosion etc but as long as its OK, is it one to consider or would it potentially be false economy & should wait for something newer within budget?

15hp outboard | eBay
Old 08 December 2013, 17:18   #2

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Its a decent engine, exactly the same as the Yamaha of the same era, spares are still available off the shelf new or used from places like Bill Higham.

However its a lot of money for an early 80's engine and you are going to have to spend another 100 on a tank, line and connections.
Old 08 December 2013, 17:19   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
I am no expert but if you are in a position to go and see/check the outboard out, things like compression, unusual knocking, gear selection, pumping plenty of water (not on muffs) etc.

Starting from cold no more than 3 pulls (even then could just be dodgy plugs) 1/2 >1 pull from warm.

The guy is open to an offer give him a ring you never know.

If it checks out ok it could last you 20 years plenty of spares available at the moment.

I would be happy to pay £500.00 if all was well.

Just my opinion, not all will agree
Old 08 December 2013, 20:20   #4

Ahh, had not considered the lines and tank, didn't realise it was that old

I'll be taking my children out so with safety in mind would like something as tidy & new as I can afford, I was hoping I would get something quite tidy for the £700 mark but having watched them over the last three months I don't think I will find one any time soon. To be fair I think the 15 2 strokes are snapped up as soon as they come available.

I'll give it another few weeks, maybe look after xmas but it seems I may be selling an immaculate cadet 340 at this rate.
Old 08 December 2013, 20:31   #5
RIBnet supporter

Tidy + New do not make it any more (or less) reliable, any engine can develope a fault and 4 strokes have more to (potentially) go wrong than 2 strokes.

Again just my opinion
Old 08 December 2013, 20:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartiny View Post
Tidy + New do not make it any more (or less) reliable, any engine can develope a fault and 4 strokes have more to (potentially) go wrong than 2 strokes.

Again just my opinion
I agree, I would rather a 2 stroke based on weight, simplicity and of course my limited budget, I have worked on both 2 and 4 stroke motocross engines, I'm sure with familiarity I'll soon get to grips with these relatively simple outboards but it's understanding which are those to avoid through being to old to easily buy parts for & those that are preferred.

I don't mind an older engine as long as it does not look abused or well used, the few that I have seen so far have been put together from a mix of parts or had a lot of paint thrown at them in an attempt to make them look newer, then under the hood a different story unfolds.

Having travelled a bit looking with no luck so far, I think the advice from friends intimating that I will easily find a reasonably presented motor within my budget is becoming less likely, unfortunately with the family on board anything lower powered would not be sensible.
I won't give up yet but the way it's going I may just flog the dinghy & buy a couple of Canadian canoes, oars seem more easily available

Maybe another Speckled Hen will recharge the patients.
Old 08 December 2013, 21:05   #7
RIBnet supporter

I would not write off that Mariner, very likely to be a "good n"

It would not hurt to ask for the serial number so you can check the year but it is most likely to be 80s.

Also you can ask for some pics with the cowl removed so you can check general condition, looking at the pics on the listing it has got to be worth a look.

Mariner/Yamaha very good engines.

Good luck