Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 16 November 2007, 13:48   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
Yes i must have a go with the pullcord sometime .

I thought modern 4 strokes wouldn't run with a flat battery . Not many bikes will so I presumed outboards were be the same .
I was pleased the Etec would run with the battery switched off
__________________

__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2007, 14:42   #12
Member
 
Nasher's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
I was about to start a thread on this subject . I was wondering the other day when my battery switch played up just how easy it is to start a 100 ish HP with a rope and what size motor is the max .

Also how many motors these days keep running when the battery power is lost ?
When I brought my Suzuki 200EFI I was surprised to see a small pouch under the hood containing a starting cord and handle.

I plucked up the courage to try it one day, and was pleased at how easy it started, however I've not tried it with the battery turned off. To do so would rely on me turning it over fast enough to create enough current to run the high pressure fuel pump. I'll give it a go when I think about it.

As an aside, my fuel injected bike will not bump start with a completly flat battery, all it needs is just enough power to run the high pressure fuel pump, and then it can be bump started. This is surprisingly little, as the pump will run even when the battery doesn't have enough power to get the engine over compression.

Nasher
__________________

__________________
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2007, 15:09   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
When I brought my Suzuki 200EFI I was surprised to see a small pouch under the hood containing a starting cord and handle.

I plucked up the courage to try it one day, and was pleased at how easy it started, however I've not tried it with the battery turned off. To do so would rely on me turning it over fast enough to create enough current to run the high pressure fuel pump. I'll give it a go when I think about it.

As an aside, my fuel injected bike will not bump start with a completly flat battery, all it needs is just enough power to run the high pressure fuel pump, and then it can be bump started. This is surprisingly little, as the pump will run even when the battery doesn't have enough power to get the engine over compression.

Nasher
I don't think its just the fuel pump that needs to work it6s also the ignition system. I had a 650 twin Kawasaki with no fuel pump and carbs . It kickstarted with a dead battery but as the last bit of life drained from the battery even an indicator would stop the motor and it was misfiring badly.
__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2007, 16:50   #14
Member
 
Nasher's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,147
I think with the bike the charging system is good enough to run the injection fuel pump and ignition system once it fires. But without the fuel pump running independantly first bumping it can't instantly get it anywhere near the 42psi it needs to run.
Once started it will run, idle, charge the battery and ride fine.
The pump probably needs a lot more current to run than the ignition system, so if the pump works it will too.

Nasher.
__________________
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2007, 17:00   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Eleven
Make: Arrow
Length: 8m +
Engine: 557cu, 700hp
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,255
Traditional (read carbed & early efi ) motors had 2 sets of windings on the stator - 1 to run the ignition system, & 1 to run the battery charging circuit.
Modern motors seem to only have a automotive style alternator, and optis for sure won't start - they need lots of amps 2 full turns of the crank to charge the compressor.
Didn't JohnRude claim you could pull start their etec's from a fully dead battery at some point?
__________________
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2007, 17:13   #16
Member
 
Nasher's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Traditional (read carbed & early efi ) motors had 2 sets of windings on the stator - 1 to run the ignition system, & 1 to run the battery charging circuit.
Modern motors seem to only have a automotive style alternator, and optis for sure won't start - they need lots of amps 2 full turns of the crank to charge the compressor.
You learn somthing new every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Didn't JohnRude claim you could pull start their etec's from a fully dead battery at some point?
I seam to remember that too.

Nasher
__________________
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2007, 17:13   #17
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
Yes i must have a go with the pullcord sometime .

I thought modern 4 strokes wouldn't run with a flat battery . Not many bikes will so I presumed outboards were be the same .
I was pleased the Etec would run with the battery switched off
They may well not run with the battery disconnected/totally dead.

In theory though (as Nasher said) as long as you've got enough power to fire up the injection and sparks you should be able to rope start it.

It'll probably carry on running if you subsequently lose the battery connection but it might fry the voltage regulator and any other electrics you've got turned on.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2007, 17:16   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Eleven
Make: Arrow
Length: 8m +
Engine: 557cu, 700hp
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,255
Careful, I am a hardboater after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
You learn somthing new every day
__________________
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2007, 17:26   #19
Member
 
Nasher's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Careful, I am a hardboater after all.

I won't mention it if you don't mention my all encompassing inflatable fender on BM.

Nasher.
__________________
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2007, 17:26   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
They may well not run with the battery disconnected/totally dead.

In theory though (as Nasher said) as long as you've got enough power to fire up the injection and sparks you should be able to rope start it.

It'll probably carry on running if you subsequently lose the battery connection but it might fry the voltage regulator and any other electrics you've got turned on.
Thats about it and as Mat says . I remember that bike , the battery was knackered just a dull glow from the ignition light not even a click from the solonoid . However it did Kick/ Pull start and just about got me a mile down the road before it died completely . That is my point your battery could be shot and unable to take any charge but giving enough to allow you to pull start it , then the motor will stop after a few miles and you have had it .
Its worth turning off the battery just to see what system you have. After all battery or conection of ,is the most likely failure in a boat thats bouncing about .
__________________

__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.