Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 24 December 2009, 09:48   #1

Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
Emergency Engine Starting Advice

Some of you might remember my post about the day i accidently lost my ignition key in about 12 inches of water about 25 miles from place of launch. Another rib lesson learnt that day, and yes i now have the key attacthed to a float and also carry a spare on board.
Since then, it has always played on my mind if ever i was in a situation especially out at sea where the engine wouldn't start and what would i do?

Well i now know that i can start the Yam 50 with an emergency cord, something i would recommend everyone to familiarise themselves with this procedure if their engine isn't fitted with a manual start. It's not too difficult, remove fly wheel cover, wrap cord around fly wheel and pull but might be a bit more tricky when out at sea in rough water or if not physically able?

Another thing i have read in an outboard trubleshooter book is that you can isolate the control box by disconnecting the main wiring loom and shorting the starter motor with screwdriver, pliers or piece of cable this will turn the motor over and hopefully start? I am not too sure if control boxes fail often but would work if ever in a position where you lost or snapped the key off in the ignition - again probably a rarity but i have learnt be prepared for anything?

Before i try this, has anyone tried this and is there a chance of damaging anything in the engine? Obviously this would only be used in emegency situations but would like to know that it works if ever needed?

Have a great Christmas and i hope Rib Santa brings you all the things you wanted.

Thanks guys & girls
Old 24 December 2009, 10:49   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I've got a few emergency cords kicking around and can start the Yam 55 by them.
The engine will start with the main harness disconnected and won't do any damage.
Old 24 December 2009, 10:52   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Gibbo,

Yeah, pretty much as you say. What I say now applies to the older school stuff, not sure how the new fangled electronic thriottle / steering type machines will take this, but here goes:

The keyswitch has, as you know 3 positions. "off" actually is the same as pulling the deadman - it shorts the same two wires, so if your key is lost / jammed in the "off position, disconnecting it is the only option to allow the engine to start. Only down side to disconnecting the loom - your deadman will be also become disconnected.

"Run" basically livens up the auxliary stuff as most engines are self reliant for ignition If your switch is jammed "off", then power to stuff like tacho, instrment lighting, choke and "crank signal" for the starter. If you have a Local / remote PT, you'll only be able to tilt from the engine switch, which is usually fed form the battery cable i nthe engine. None of these are absolutely necessary if you just want to get running.

Shorting the starter solenoid is a valid option - i;ve seen it done. All you are doing there is connecting the two big cables together, which is exactly what the solenoid does, but without the big sparks! The ease of doing that will depend where your solenoid is fitted. (the whole screwdriver wil lbe at Batt +12, so be caeful what else you touch with it when doing so....... ) Just remember if it's a cold start, you'll need to use the emergency choke (probably hidden under the cover)
Old 24 December 2009, 14:40   #4

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Interesting as I nearly snaped the key off on the Yamaha while in the ignition earlier in the year ! It would have been stuck in the 'run' position so I could have started the engine the emergency cord.

I thought I probably could have turned the stubb sticking out with pliers on the multitool - but I now carry a spare ignition key in an inside pocket.

I've no chance of doing anything with the opti - too much fancy electrics I think to be able to hotwire it.
Old 24 December 2009, 14:58   #5

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Even with a modern engine shorting out the solenoid has its time and place. I have had to do it when my solenoid failed when away from home for a full weekend.
Every time the motor needed to be started it was open cover, turn key to on, short out solenoid with screwdriver, put cover back on!
Old 24 December 2009, 18:43   #6

Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
Thanks guys, i will give it a try
Old 24 December 2009, 19:18   #7

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
just a reminder for those that are always used to electric starting ,if your going to use the emergency rope and pully ,make sure there,s no one on the boat right behind you or in the way or that you can elbow in the face ,and that its not going to start up in gear ,,last thing you want is a m.o.b or someone having a black eye and their front teeth knocked out ,,,,and if possible have a proper handle or piece of wood ,its tempting to wrap a screwdriver around the rope and to use as handhold ,if the engine misfires it can whip it out of your hand and into somebody
Old 24 December 2009, 23:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
just a reminder for those that are always used to electric starting ,if your going to use the emergency rope and pully ,make sure there,s no one on the boat right behind you or in the way or that you can elbow in the face ,and that its not going to start up in gear ,,last thing you want is a m.o.b or someone having a black eye and their front teeth knocked out ,,,,and if possible have a proper handle or piece of wood ,its tempting to wrap a screwdriver around the rope and to use as handhold ,if the engine misfires it can whip it out of your hand and into somebody
Least the engine starts though...
Old 25 December 2009, 00:43   #9

Town: Leeds
Boat name: Bam Bam
Make: Zodiac YL-380-DL
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard, petrol, 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Least the engine starts though...
Maybe thats why us oop norff all look like a piano with the lid open when we smile mate.
Old 26 December 2009, 19:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post
Maybe thats why us oop norff all look like a piano with the lid open when we smile mate.
Thats from opening bottles using my teeth lol.
Old 28 December 2009, 07:59   #11

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
D@mn good call....

For the bigger / higher compression engines (e.g. the old Yam/ Mariner 2- pot 55Hp) a double handed sized bit of wood can also make it a load easier to turn.

Also well worth doing a couple of trial starts to make sure your bit of string is the right length - too long & it may still be in the flywheel groove when it fires, too short you'll never quite get it to fire before the rope falls out.
Old 30 December 2009, 12:51   #12

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Yes. First, and only, time I had to hand start my 90 fs, using the starter cord handily provided inside the motor cover, I ended up flat on my back with the engine purring nicely. So easy. Previous experience was in the 60's with an old (then) 40 hp Evinrude. That was really hard work.