Old 28 December 2009, 03:59   #11

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
just a reminder for those that are always used to electric starting ,if your going to use the emergency rope and pully ,make sure there,s no one on the boat right behind you or in the way or that you can elbow in the face ,and that its not going to start up in gear ,,last thing you want is a m.o.b or someone having a black eye and their front teeth knocked out ,,,,and if possible have a proper handle or piece of wood ,its tempting to wrap a screwdriver around the rope and to use as handhold ,if the engine misfires it can whip it out of your hand and into somebody
D@mn good call....

For the bigger / higher compression engines (e.g. the old Yam/ Mariner 2- pot 55Hp) a double handed sized bit of wood can also make it a load easier to turn.

Also well worth doing a couple of trial starts to make sure your bit of string is the right length - too long & it may still be in the flywheel groove when it fires, too short you'll never quite get it to fire before the rope falls out.

Old 30 December 2009, 08:51   #12

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
just a reminder for those that are always used to electric starting ,if your going to use the emergency rope and pully ,make sure there,s no one on the boat right behind you or in the way or that you can elbow in the face ,and that its not going to start up in gear ,,last thing you want is a m.o.b or someone having a black eye and their front teeth knocked out ,,,,and if possible have a proper handle or piece of wood ,its tempting to wrap a screwdriver around the rope and to use as handhold ,if the engine misfires it can whip it out of your hand and into somebody
Yes. First, and only, time I had to hand start my 90 fs, using the starter cord handily provided inside the motor cover, I ended up flat on my back with the engine purring nicely. So easy. Previous experience was in the 60's with an old (then) 40 hp Evinrude. That was really hard work.