Really interesting project!

How is it coming along?
Old 23 November 2017, 04:33   #82

Town: mudeford
Boat name: rib volt lution
Make: cobra ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Torqeedo db 80rxl
High voltage battery mounting, put a lid on it and balanceClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2757.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	122804Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2946.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	122805Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2012.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	122807

So be far i have now finished the biggest job of my project.
To support the i3 battery it required a ali frame and i have added suspension mounts to reduce vibration or impact on the battery.

With the battery mount and tray mounted in the rib. I was the tasked with re-assembling the battery with its 8 x cell modules.

With the final cable connections connected i was finally able to but the adapted lid over the battery. With it all now sealed down with a neoprene gasket, i can now get on with switching the system on!!

Next install to follow shortly
Old 23 November 2017, 04:47   #83

The big switch on, propellor turns, antifoul and awaiting a sunny opportunity to get this project tested.

So, i am super pleased, as today i energised the system.
It went very well and as throughout this project, the big unknown was, if the second hand BMW i3 60ah battery would connect and properly communicate with the Torqeedo deep blue system. It now has demonstated that this works.
With the prop now turning, i need a sunny day to launch her an run through some on water tests.

I will be posting all performance details when i have them as well as a video to ensure transparency.

Whilst i await for this sunny day, i’ve slipped the rib off the trailer to remove all the old antifoul. ( which i will not need as the rib will always be recovered home)

Happy days!!!!
Old 23 November 2017, 08:17   #84

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
sound and great project. love to see some videos etc!!
Old 23 November 2017, 11:39   #85

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Amazing project. Can't wait to see the sea trials
Old 02 December 2017, 09:49   #86

Town: Kiev, Ukraine
Make: BRIG
Engine: 90 E-tec
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-RIB View Post
and awaiting a sunny opportunity to get this project tested.
Hello! Very carefully and with interest I follow your project. I'm really looking forward to your boat running tests.
There is a small technical question: how the ventilation of the battery compartment is provided. After all, if you just close the lid, the condensate will do its dirty business in just a couple of seasons?
Thank you.
Old 02 December 2017, 15:53   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziby FD View Post
Hello! Very carefully and with interest I follow your project. I'm really looking forward to your boat running tests.

There is a small technical question: how the ventilation of the battery compartment is provided. After all, if you just close the lid, the condensate will do its dirty business in just a couple of seasons?

Thank you.

Afternoon Ziby FD,

I have installed two 12v engine space blowers, which will provide alot of circulation around the battery, but this is only if i get an issue with over temp. The i3 batteries temp sweet spot is 20deg c. If after the test i get issues i will try the blowers. Worst case i have to run refrigerant through the batteries exchanger ( as in the car).
Let see
Thanks for your interest
Old 30 January 2018, 16:31   #88

First launch completed, just need to now get the correct size prop and can get a full test completed. Thanks again for your interest and kind words of support.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0343.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	123296Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0343.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	123296
Old 30 January 2018, 16:47   #89

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
The best of Luck with Her!
Be interesting to how She performs with the Tech.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 17:14   #90

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
First launch completed, just need to now get the correct size prop and can get a full test completed. Thanks again for your interest and kind words of support.

Attachment 123296Attachment 123296
Exciting! I must commend your workmanship on this project. I know it is not easy venturing in to such a new territory.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 19:59   #91

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
The best of Luck with Her!
Be interesting to how She performs with the Tech.

Old 04 July 2018, 14:25   #92

Town: penzance
Boat name: not named
Make: ski boat
Engine: 150 HPDI
Keen to know how this project is going/has gone.
I've got a ski boat hull waiting for the technology to evolve a bit, and for me to get the time.
Old 04 July 2018, 14:40   #93
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonl View Post
Keen to know how this project is going/has gone..
Me too. The OP is/was a field tech for Torqueedo and IMHO a delay in posting a success story is sending an concerning message. He logged in after your post, so I guess he gets an email when this thread gets a reply... Hi ERIB
Old 09 November 2018, 13:14   #94

A summer of electric fun

Firstly an apology for not being a little more forth coming with my report how this year and the project has gone.

I do admit to have some teething problems which took some time to resolve, mainly down to software settings, weather windows and not getting full power, as well as boost mode, which gives me an additional 20kw for some seconds to get the rib out of the hole and onto the plane.

I was also lucky to be invited to Cobra ribs for them to weigh the boat. Total weight 1300Kg. This is an issue to me as I had hoped for 1000Kg max. So I went to work putting her on a weight lose plan. helm and rear seat design changed.

When power is minimum and also stored capacity also never enough, as in my case, weight has a big effect and from previous experience 1000kg was a reasonable target, but something I did not hit. It was also clear that this rib ( some 14 years old ) and having been badly maintained was wet and heavy.

But we live a learn.

I also tried the rib with several props and found one size that gave best speed ( 23knots) 13"x 13"
One that gave best acceleration ( for wakeboarding) max speed 20knots 13" x 11"

Range, which is naturally a very big talking point and show stopper, needs some explanation. At WOT my computer calculated 7 nautical miles, which in the grand scheme of things and standard expectations gives us an indication of what 22Kw of stored electricity can do for a 1300kg planing rib with 4 persons onboard so- around 300kg of humans = total 1600kg.
Running at 75% throttle and just on the plane did increase the range but only marginally.

Now, I personally am happy with the speed, all be it not comparable to standard Cobra 6m with 115hp or up some. This rib has a 80hp outboard electric equivalent, so on the verge of being under size. But having said that for what we had intended in doing, having fun, getting out on the water, wake boarding and fishing. This boat and propulsion system works great.

In fact our limitation this summer was not weather, running costs, boat availability, is was the number of opportunities to launch her due to our family time availability.

I calculated it costs £3.70p per full recharge. A result!
This was always one session, maybe a spot of fishing, family wake board session in Christchurch bay or a complete day watching the red arrows/ fishing off Bournemouth.

I recharge her at home, so recovery was always required. Although she was invited to take a berth at Lymington yacht haven and received many interested coments and many test ride were given. There shw always recharged at the berth.... a luxury in my , now well exercised recover and launch lifestyle!

The future plans -
I have now laid her up for a period whilst I do some work to her.
First job - install new battery. The new battery will be reconstructed into a long rectangle housing, that will allow it to be mounted beneath the deck. ( Much better than before)

I was able to sell my old 22kw battery and purchase a 2017 32kw version, all for the same cost! This was a right result and means I practically got 10kw extra capacity for free. Bring on our next opportunity to get her wet again!

As a Mudeford rib user, we are naturally hopeful that one day we can get to Yarmouth, I think with present energy densities of our batteries, we can get there, but not return on one full charge.

I am also looking forward to the future as a BMW i3 42kw battery has now been released and its only a matter of time til I get my hands on one.

I also heard a rumour that BMW are already working on a 60kw and 80kw i3 battery, so it seems i'm in store for many upgrade all meaning my range will increase.

( its worth stating that even as the battery capacity increases, the size of the battery does not. The weight does increase but only fractional)

So all in all a very happy and satisfied 2018 rib user, with great things to come!

See you on the water!
Old 09 November 2018, 14:34   #95

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
I've followed this thread with mild interest and I admit a little scepticism from the off....but I must comend you're efforts and dedication to actually put something together that does a Job.

I know it's a work in progress and very probably no electric RIB will get close to the fossil fuel burners we all use (performance wise) for quite some time...but you're following in a long line of British innovators that have always pushed boundaries!...And by the sound of it having fun,spending time on the water..and learning lots in the process!
So the very best of luck for the future

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 November 2018, 14:41   #96

thanks for the update, had been wondering how you faired

i assume you are way over the efficiency point of 54% for the motor to keep this rib on the plane?

How much range do you get at displacement speeds? Although 80hp is wasted at that speed granted but just wondering how efficient it can be.
Old 09 November 2018, 18:33   #97
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Range, which is naturally a very big talking point and show stopper, needs some explanation. At WOT my computer calculated 7 nautical miles, Running at 75% throttle and just on the plane did increase the range but only marginally.
I calculated it costs £3.70p per full recharge. A result!
Am I reading those two numbers right that 7 miles costs £3.70? so 53p/mile?
I thought you would manage better than that. If petrol costs £1.28/L (I think thats what it was at the supermarket when I last looked) then you are only getting equivalent of about 0.4 L/mile, which is better than most ribs - but probably equivalent to many SIBs with the sort of top speeds you are getting.
Old 09 November 2018, 18:44   #98

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Interesting stuff any videos?
Old 09 November 2018, 21:22   #99

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Having been involved in the total fit out of half a dozen "hull and superstructure" projects where all the "big bits" were off the shelf I can only begin to imagine how much work went into this. But now it's time to fit a hydrogen fuel cell and do away with those batteries...
Old 09 November 2018, 21:47   #100
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Well, I'm kinda lost for words. A very long breathless thread with numerous ups and downs. Potentially a fail for the Battery Boat Brigade or a Victory for British Ingenuity (or American Ability) - who can tell?

From my very biased and limited viewpoint, an utter waste of a doner RIB, battery, Torqueedo and whatever money when into it to produce a POS that didn't check a single box other than: 1, Astroturfed a Forum [Check]

Full marks for 'fessing up though. When the Drone Boys were giving you lessons in Capacity and you persevered, it takes big nuts to admit failure.

Tags
rib, torqeedo