Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
EFI or carb on a 20Hp OBM

Hi,

Having noted Sonar has just bought a Suzuki 20Hp for a SIB I was comparing the equivalent Honda (which is what I was considering buying). Both seem great engines, exactly the same price and only a year difference in terms of warranty.

However... the Suzuki has EFI whereas the Honda is carb...

Is there a benefit either way? What is going to be more reliable/fuel efficient and is there a difference in how both lay down the power, e.g. one is quicker to pick up?
Old 06 November 2015, 13:54   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
EFI every time, sealed system, no jets to clog, vastly reduced varnish/gumming problems.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2015, 13:56   #3

you probably won't go wrong with either assuming you have dealer support for both.

If it were me I'd buy the Suzuki as it is lighter and has lean burn.

The Honda is 350cc and the zuke is 327, in theory the Honda should have more torque but better fuelling may bring the zuke back in line.

Fuel efficiency on a 20hp isn't a concern tbh, both will be cheap as chips to run.

With that said, I'd buy the zuke between those pair.

Edit....the holy grail of sib engines.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18HP-Tohat...0AAOSwQPlV~yPB
Old 06 November 2015, 15:38   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Having had two suzuki's for five years plus and just bought a new 25 lean burn which is really lean on fuel but then so was my 90 I would go Suzuki, I have had no trouble what's so ever with the previous engines. OK the 25 is 3 cylinder the 20 a 2 cylinder I think the 20 is 2kg heavier than Honda but it will have plenty of power for your honwave stigo.
Old 06 November 2015, 15:43   #5

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I'd say it depends on if your going to fix it yourself or use a dealer
My thoughts are the carb engine will be simpler & easier to fix if it does go wrong but as pd points out the injection may be less prone to problems although I have herd horror stories of injector failure due to water ingress which is a risk in a small boat
I always work on the keep it simple theory which would mean the carb engine would win for me
I think it's all down to what your more comfortable with & personally I'd prefer the Honda
Old 06 November 2015, 15:53   #6

RIBase
Water no problem and I assume if it's in the fuel that you mean if you fit a water separator £45 for a small one. Keep the fuel tank breather protected from spray and empty both now and again to drain water /debris out.
Get a glass bowl separator so you can keep an eye on it.
Old 06 November 2015, 18:29   #7

Not always easy or practical on a sib & adds another layer of complication to the system
I've seen water damaged fuel pumps on larger boats with filters on
Whilst I agree to a point prevention is better than cure I prefer the cure being a strip & clean rather than replacement parts
Old 06 November 2015, 18:38   #8

this is literally a non issue IMO.

Your tank is maybe 25 litres, even with some water in tank you will likely never see the issues big engines have that chew 30 litres an hour. Unless your a moron and run several polluted tanks through it you will be fine.

I wouldnt bother with a separator on a sib personally, just dip the tank for a sample now and then and be content.
Old 06 November 2015, 20:19   #9

It only takes a tiny bit of water in the fuel to start doing damage while it's standing I've seen water marks in small engine float chambers so it can get through & it doesn't need to be a lot
Water in petrol beads in the bottom of the tank untill it gets shaken about & we'll mixed then it can head up the fuel line
I'm not familiar with the injection set up so don't know what's in there to suffer but as I'm quite familiar with carbs that's why I say I'd put my money in a carb engine every time especially one this small maybe I'm a dinosaur but only trying to give the op a balanced opinion
Old 06 November 2015, 21:12   #10

if it bothers you that much put a water seperator on, won't do any harm whether carb or EFI. can maybe somehow tiewrap a small one to the fuel tank itself as transom mounted is out the question.

balanced opinions are good though, what it is all about.
Old 07 November 2015, 14:35   #11

RIBase
All opinions are right but for me prevention better than cure there's always going to be water what with condensation, possible contamination etc I didn't fit a water separator this time but a in line see through filter not the best but couldn't find a small enough separator when I do I will fit.go with what your comfortable with I say, on my 5th Suzuki 2x2st 3x4st all ran/run great not saying better than Honda or any other make just they float my boat.
Cheers