Old 23 May 2008, 20:53   #1

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Ebay item should it be reported

Item no.260242439113.Sorry i dont know how to put a direct link maybe someone else can.A breif history.I won this item and on the basis that the engine was run 12 months ago with no problems and was turned over only say aweek ago with no problems.Drove 260 miles round trip.When i got there said i wanted to check the engine did what he said.i.e.Lift on trim and tilt turn over and produce a spark.I put a good battery on it turned the key it struggled to turn over.so i took out all three spark plugs did a compression test top cylinder knocked badly had 60lb compression middle had no compression at all bottom had about 30lb.I told them this is not the result of a engine having been stood and one that turned over fine last week the advert was misleading so i didnt want it.He agreed and ebay has accepted a non payment agreement.All good.BUT now a few days later the same advert and item and they are fully aware of its problems and want to stuff someone else.Should i report them if so how
Old 23 May 2008, 21:09   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Gingernut
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 65
Errmmm hard to say, but thanks for posting as i was watching that item as i fancied the Sooki 85!

Jimmy
Old 23 May 2008, 21:12   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Yes I believe you should report it , it is clear you knew your stuff but another person will be conned. The link is as follows with advice etc http://pages.ebay.co.uk/safetycentre...ml?_trksid=m37

also this link
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/consumer-rig...s.html#scratch

Is this the item for sale? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...p%3D%26fvi%3D1
Old 23 May 2008, 21:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Errmmm hard to say, but thanks for posting as i was watching that item as i fancied the Sooki 85!

Jimmy
Thats the reason i bought it.For my searider
Old 23 May 2008, 21:24   #5

C2RIBS yes it is the item and yes its just as well for me although it only just recently i have taken a hard line towards thing i am buying after accepting several items misdescribed.
Old 23 May 2008, 21:29   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
e bay

Copied this from advert and states that

"Engine was working fine when last used, since then has just sat, was flushed after every use, but not winterised or laid up.

Battery was used for a friends car and fuel tank was nicked, so havent got facilities to fire it up and test.

It fired up about 12 months ago as I had a play with it to get it ready for a weekend run, but never went out."

If re-advertsied after your visit and test then this seller knows the issues and has not told the truth!!!!
Old 23 May 2008, 22:13   #7

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Soozook 85 was a great motor in its day but that one's 1982-5 ish. Do you really want something 25 yrs old powering your RIB?

Seller is being a touch on the conervative side with the truth, if he trusts your compression tester....
Old 24 May 2008, 21:53   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
If sellers were truthful - it would make the process simpler. Especially - if you rely 100% on the advertising description only to be confronted with an item that plainly isn't 'as described'.

My advice in private sale situations is to do your homework. If you're already familiar with the item you're about to buy, you'll have a very good idea of what to look for, key questions to ask, based on your product research.

A common mistake people make is to get on the phone, ask a few questions then down tools and drive god knows how many miles only to be disappointed.

Write down all your questions first - so you don't get side-tracked by the seller's waffle. If they can't answer direct questions, then ask yourself why? Legitimate sellers will bend over backwards, provide receipts and history, and be happy to answer queries, provide information by email, etc.

This (Suzuki) Ebay seller didn't have a battery, fuel tank and muffs. I'm sorry - but this just doesn't add up.

"I'm selling on behalf of a friend" - walk away.

I don't know anything about boats or engines" - walk away.

"It runs like a dream, but I can't demonstrate it in action" - walk away.

I recently sold an engine through Ebay, and the whole experience was very positive. Good communication, regular emails, all history provided.

Good luck in your search for an engine!
Old 24 May 2008, 23:00   #9

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterR View Post
Item no.260242439113.Sorry i dont know how to put a direct link maybe someone else can.A breif history.I won this item and on the basis that the engine was run 12 months ago with no problems and was turned over only say aweek ago with no problems.Drove 260 miles round trip.When i got there said i wanted to check the engine did what he said.i.e.Lift on trim and tilt turn over and produce a spark.I put a good battery on it turned the key it struggled to turn over.so i took out all three spark plugs did a compression test top cylinder knocked badly had 60lb compression middle had no compression at all bottom had about 30lb.I told them this is not the result of a engine having been stood and one that turned over fine last week the advert was misleading so i didnt want it.He agreed and ebay has accepted a non payment agreement.All good.BUT now a few days later the same advert and item and they are fully aware of its problems and want to stuff someone else.Should i report them if so how
Am I missing something here. Why is it Ebay's problem. I do not believe they have any responsibility in this matter?????
Old 24 May 2008, 23:40   #10

Town: Bristol
Boat name: n/a
Make: Honwave T35AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp 2stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Am I missing something here. Why is it Ebay's problem. I do not believe they have any responsibility in this matter?????
Surely it's ebay's responsibility to pull an auction that states information known to be incorrect or misleading?? It seems likey that, if not, some other poor bugger is gonna get seriously ripped off here!
If it's not ebay's responsibility to stop this then who's is it?
Old 24 May 2008, 23:47   #11
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterR View Post
Leave the guy a negative saying the motor's FUBAR then...he can't leave you a -ve now...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2008, 09:15   #12

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye 650 Sport
Engine: 150HP
MMSI: 235038283
Send a message via MSN to AndyB007
Just to see what he said I emailed him asking if the engine had been compression tested, and he said ....

"Hi Andy, a chap came to look about a week ago, he used a tester, results were top fine, middle and bottom were a little low, but still have compression. bearing in mind the engine has stood for 12 months, this could be for a number of reasons, no oil in pot, ring sticking, last time we used it it pulled well and I skied from it."
Old 25 May 2008, 15:52   #13

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
just regards the compression test for an old 2 stroke engine which has not run for quite a while i dont think that it would show up the true condition unless it had been run for at least 15 or 20 mins or at least until it was fully warmed up to working temp
Old 25 May 2008, 18:20   #14
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
just regards the compression test for an old 2 stroke engine which has not run for quite a while i dont think that it would show up the true condition unless it had been run for at least 15 or 20 mins or at least until it was fully warmed up to working temp

Yeah but the compresion readings PeterR gave indicate a dead motor anyway. Way too low for it to ever make full power.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 09:22   #15

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Soozook 85 was a great motor in its day but that one's 1982-5 ish. Do you really want something 25 yrs old powering your RIB?
Yeah, good call. Something 30 years old is far preferable!
Old 26 May 2008, 12:59   #16

Town: Fareham
I guess the seller was posting a genuine ad in the first instance (which was backed up by the replied email to Andy B), but in light of the tests carried out by Peter and witnessed by the seller, he should have amended the Ad which is now misleading and incorrect. Report it to ebay to protect future buyers.

However if a possible buyer is silly enough to buy the Rig and expect it to work out the box by reading the description in the Ad, then they probably deserve everything they get.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 20:49   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB007 View Post
Just to see what he said I emailed him asking if the engine had been compression tested, and he said ....

"Hi Andy, a chap came to look about a week ago, he used a tester, results were top fine, middle and bottom were a little low, but still have compression. bearing in mind the engine has stood for 12 months, this could be for a number of reasons, no oil in pot, ring sticking, last time we used it it pulled well and I skied from it."
Good idea to email him .i had spayed a mix of iol and fuel in cylinders to help give a seal but there was no reading at all in middle cylinder and a bad knocking from the top