Old 21 October 2009, 22:51   #1

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
E-tec's Break in Period

Hello

Being a 2 strokes, was wondering if you need to pour a portion of oil in gas tank for every gallon as in standard 2 trokes engines break in + automatic oil supply from internal tank just for the break in procedure ? Or no, just uses the internal oil tank automatic amount feed for the break procedue. Somebody told me that this engine comes factory breaked in, is this true ? or needs ? working ours to be so. please advise.

Happy Boating
Old 22 October 2009, 05:36   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Apparently so. Evinrude state zero running in and no scheduled maintenance for 300hrs or 3 years....

www.evinrude.com
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2009, 06:58   #3

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
The Etec ups the amount of oil it puts in automatically for the first 10hrs of the run in period. I held off from extended periods of WOT for the first 20hrs, although the book says that this is not necessary.
Old 22 October 2009, 09:49   #4

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I think I'd be safe in saying most of the "high tec" 2- strokes will automatically adjust the oil mix for the run -in period.

Also with modern manufacturing the piston - cylinder mating is a lot improved compared to 20 odd years ago. The piston machining station "stacks" pistons having measured them, and can then pick & choose to suit the bored cyls that pop out the other machining station, also measured. Add that to materials improvements and verging on "clean room" assembly areas. and the need for running in is removed.

Whether BRP or any of the others use said technology or they feel they have to suggest a "running in" perod because the buying public have always had to do it so it seems strange not to is another discussion entirely!
Old 22 October 2009, 10:58   #5

Town: HL
Boat name: StormChaser
Make: Humber OceanPro 6.3
Engine: Evinrude E-TEC 200HO
no oil mixing with gas with e-tecs.
e-tecs do not use mixed fuel/oil, at etecs the oil is injected directly, not together with fuel.
depending on the etec model the break in lasts 2 or 5 hour above 2000 rpm.
so, normally break in is over after 4 or 10 hours, except one is just trolling under 2000 rpm.
so, no fixed break in time with fixed hours, but depending on the usage.
during break in etecs inject additional oil by themself.

https://www.hobbycaptain.at
Ferdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2009, 12:35   #6

Hello Fredi,

Was wondering if it's the same 2 hours time for the new E-tec 25 /30 HP models break in period, seems older 2 strokes electric oil feed must have a 50:1 premix oil/gas ratio in tank + automatic lubbing for first break in period, after that, uses auto feed oil only. E-tecs being electronically adjusted are not required, a modernity issue.

Is it ok to use any good 2 strokes TCW-3 oils like Yamalube, Chevron, or these engines likes their specified brand products, which are not available locally because of price.

Happy Boating
Old 22 October 2009, 21:24   #7

Town: HL
Boat name: StormChaser
Make: Humber OceanPro 6.3
Engine: Evinrude E-TEC 200HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Hello Fredi,

Was wondering if it's the same 2 hours time for the new E-tec 25 /30 HP models break in period, seems older 2 strokes electric oil feed must have a 50:1 premix oil/gas ratio in tank + automatic lubbing for first break in period, after that, uses auto feed oil only. E-tecs being electronically adjusted are not required, a modernity issue.

Is it ok to use any good 2 strokes TCW-3 oils like Yamalube, Chevron, or these engines likes their specified brand products, which are not available locally because of price.

Happy Boating
if possible, you should use Evinrude XD100 oil, the best oil you can use for an Etec.
Etecs are programmed for XD50/TCW3 oil out of the factory. With this setting you are allowd to use each TCW3 oil, but BRP XD100 oil is recommended.
Then there is a reduced oil setting named XD100, will be done by your dealer, with which etecs use less oil than with TCW3 setting. With XD100 setting you are only allowd to use XD100 oil, TCW3 only in an emergency case.

XD100 is quite expensive oil, but with the reduced setting you will not feel it so hard in your pocket. Xd100 is especially formulated for etecs and other 2-stroke DI engines and really is smoke free and nearly without smell. It already contains a decarbonizer, so, its really highly recommended.

Some new HO engines cannot be programmed for XD100 reduced setting becasue HOs are normally hard used in the US+A, so is my 150HO, but XD100 is also highly recommended there.

if you want to know more about evinrude etecs, visit this forum http://www.etecownersgroup.com/

how long the break in period of an 25/30 etec engine is you can ask in above forum or I think you also will find it in the manual.

https://www.hobbycaptain.at
Ferdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2009, 05:39   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Good info, cheers Ferdi.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2009, 19:27   #9

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
I've had my 225 ETec since last May and haven't had any problems at all. The local dealer recommended the first plug change be done sooner than the manual suggests and changed my engine to the XD100 setting via a laptop. As mentioned above, you can't use XD50 for an extended period if the engine is programmed for XD100. Although the thing does drink a lot of fuel (between 1.3 and 1.7 litres per hour at 30 - 40 knots) it is very economical on oil. There's no need for a run in period; I had mine at WOT soon after the boat was in the water and it hasn't blown up yet.

You can see a video of my engine here:
Old 23 October 2009, 19:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post

You can see a video of my engine here:
Did you add the bird singing to cover the sound of the main bearings trying to escape on the Etec?
Old 23 October 2009, 20:15   #11

Thanks all for the imput. Just if somebody happens to have the axact tech data available :

If got the idea right, you can use any other brand tcw-3 outboard oil, yamalube, penzoil, chevron, whatever brand as long the ecu is adjusted to XD-50 setting, correct ? Don't think the local dealer is importing E-tec special brand oil, must hardly have a lap top to tune this engine right. Client didn't want to wait the arrival of a new Tohatsu 30 HP 2 strokes engine. We'll see in the long run if he's made a good investment (special oils use/reliable service/spare parts availability/competent dealer, etc)

Will check recommended forum to ask more tech details about E-tec 25 HP engines, as client is a complete newby about sibs & outboards.

Happy Boating
Old 23 October 2009, 20:21   #12

Mine was programmed to run on XD100 from new. I wouldn't run my engine on anything else, it certainly smells very different to Opti DFI oil. Ask Codders if there are cheaper generic oils that will be easier to obtain in such far flung locations.
Old 24 October 2009, 10:36   #13

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
If got the idea right, you can use any other brand tcw-3 outboard oil, yamalube, penzoil, chevron, whatever brand as long the ecu is adjusted to XD-50 setting, correct ?
Correct, the XD50 setting returns the engine to a setting so where it can use any TCW3 oil.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2009, 11:27   #14

Town: Glasgow
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Engine: Suzuki 140
On my 2005 200Hp (3.2) ETEC, according to my local service agent, the setting cannot be altered to select XD100 (Although this is the oil i use)...it is set for TCW-3.
So am i basically using twice as much of the more "expensive" oil than i should be?...
I got a really good deal on XD100 from Ribstuff...so in reality it isn't costing me that much more, i just find it a bit strange that on my engine you can't select the type of oil you want to use.

I did find out recently that the powerhead had been replaced in 2008 (I bought the boat earlier this year)...could this have any bearing on the limited oil selection...
Old 24 October 2009, 20:07   #15

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarbh View Post
On my 2005 200Hp (3.2) ETEC, according to my local service agent, the setting cannot be altered to select XD100 (Although this is the oil i use)...it is set for TCW-3.
So am i basically using twice as much of the more "expensive" oil than i should be?...
I got a really good deal on XD100 from Ribstuff...so in reality it isn't costing me that much more, i just find it a bit strange that on my engine you can't select the type of oil you want to use.

I did find out recently that the powerhead had been replaced in 2008 (I bought the boat earlier this year)...could this have any bearing on the limited oil selection...
There are certain models that do not allow the XD100 setting however I think those are all the HO's

If you have a 2008 powerhead replacement then I don't know whether that means you are running a 2005 style powerhead or the later one. There have been a number of changes in the time period. (Injectors, Ignition etc.) I woul dbe tempted to get a second opinion on that. Speak to Steve at Race Marine.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote