Old 23 October 2009, 16:15   #11

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Thanks all for the imput. Just if somebody happens to have the axact tech data available :

If got the idea right, you can use any other brand tcw-3 outboard oil, yamalube, penzoil, chevron, whatever brand as long the ecu is adjusted to XD-50 setting, correct ? Don't think the local dealer is importing E-tec special brand oil, must hardly have a lap top to tune this engine right. Client didn't want to wait the arrival of a new Tohatsu 30 HP 2 strokes engine. We'll see in the long run if he's made a good investment (special oils use/reliable service/spare parts availability/competent dealer, etc)

Will check recommended forum to ask more tech details about E-tec 25 HP engines, as client is a complete newby about sibs & outboards.

Happy Boating

Old 23 October 2009, 16:21   #12

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Mine was programmed to run on XD100 from new. I wouldn't run my engine on anything else, it certainly smells very different to Opti DFI oil. Ask Codders if there are cheaper generic oils that will be easier to obtain in such far flung locations.

Old 24 October 2009, 06:36   #13

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
If got the idea right, you can use any other brand tcw-3 outboard oil, yamalube, penzoil, chevron, whatever brand as long the ecu is adjusted to XD-50 setting, correct ?
Correct, the XD50 setting returns the engine to a setting so where it can use any TCW3 oil.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2009, 07:27   #14

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
On my 2005 200Hp (3.2) ETEC, according to my local service agent, the setting cannot be altered to select XD100 (Although this is the oil i use)...it is set for TCW-3.
So am i basically using twice as much of the more "expensive" oil than i should be?...
I got a really good deal on XD100 from Ribstuff...so in reality it isn't costing me that much more, i just find it a bit strange that on my engine you can't select the type of oil you want to use.

I did find out recently that the powerhead had been replaced in 2008 (I bought the boat earlier this year)...could this have any bearing on the limited oil selection...
Old 24 October 2009, 16:07   #15

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarbh View Post
On my 2005 200Hp (3.2) ETEC, according to my local service agent, the setting cannot be altered to select XD100 (Although this is the oil i use)...it is set for TCW-3.
So am i basically using twice as much of the more "expensive" oil than i should be?...
I got a really good deal on XD100 from Ribstuff...so in reality it isn't costing me that much more, i just find it a bit strange that on my engine you can't select the type of oil you want to use.

I did find out recently that the powerhead had been replaced in 2008 (I bought the boat earlier this year)...could this have any bearing on the limited oil selection...
There are certain models that do not allow the XD100 setting however I think those are all the HO's

If you have a 2008 powerhead replacement then I don't know whether that means you are running a 2005 style powerhead or the later one. There have been a number of changes in the time period. (Injectors, Ignition etc.) I woul dbe tempted to get a second opinion on that. Speak to Steve at Race Marine.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote