Old 22 May 2011, 19:42   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
E-TEC fuel reading screwed up

Last time I was out I topped up the tank to full when I got back and reset the I-command setting to full (I use the EMM for the fuel remaining figure so when I refuel, I have to tell the EMM to reset the remaining fuel to a full tank).

Today I was out, and it was all screwed up. Fuel flow reading was good, and seemed consistent with what I have seen before, and the fuel economy reading was correct, but the reading for fuel remaining stayed at 149.9 litres (full tank) and on the other page, the trip fuel used and seasonal fuel used didn't move either.

The fuel remaining figure didn't flash (like it does when you first switch on the ignition, until it reads the fuel remaining from the E-TEC memory module) so no obvious problem except that the numbers didn't change!

I came back in after a couple of hours run (I knew I had full fuel so didn't worry) and shut everything off including the plotter, left it for a couple of minutes, then when I switched back on and started the engine again it starting deducting fuel off the fuel remaining reading. I went for a quick blast round the harbour, so it had used a couple of litres bringing the number down to 148L, then shut the ignition off. Key back on and it came back up with the "correct" reading of 148L (which by now was completely wrong as it forgot about all the fuel I used on the first run).

Any ideas what could cause this / whether it is likely to happen again? I've topped off the tank on the way home and reset to full tanks but I just wondered if anybody had any ideas what caused this? It was quite cold today (about 4 degrees above freezing I guess - coming into winter now so it's the coldest day I have used it so far) but other than that I didn't do anything different.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2011, 21:00   #2

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Last time I was out I topped up the tank to full when I got back and reset the I-command setting to full (I use the EMM for the fuel remaining figure so when I refuel, I have to tell the EMM to reset the remaining fuel to a full tank).

Today I was out, and it was all screwed up. Fuel flow reading was good, and seemed consistent with what I have seen before, and the fuel economy reading was correct, but the reading for fuel remaining stayed at 149.9 litres (full tank) and on the other page, the trip fuel used and seasonal fuel used didn't move either.

The fuel remaining figure didn't flash (like it does when you first switch on the ignition, until it reads the fuel remaining from the E-TEC memory module) so no obvious problem except that the numbers didn't change!

I came back in after a couple of hours run (I knew I had full fuel so didn't worry) and shut everything off including the plotter, left it for a couple of minutes, then when I switched back on and started the engine again it starting deducting fuel off the fuel remaining reading. I went for a quick blast round the harbour, so it had used a couple of litres bringing the number down to 148L, then shut the ignition off. Key back on and it came back up with the "correct" reading of 148L (which by now was completely wrong as it forgot about all the fuel I used on the first run).

Any ideas what could cause this / whether it is likely to happen again? I've topped off the tank on the way home and reset to full tanks but I just wondered if anybody had any ideas what caused this? It was quite cold today (about 4 degrees above freezing I guess - coming into winter now so it's the coldest day I have used it so far) but other than that I didn't do anything different.
I had similar problems on a couple of occasions but put it down to a lose NMEA connector which intermitently gave me grief. Check all your connections and ensure no sign of corroded pins.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2011, 00:22   #3

OK, ta.

I figure it must be something to do with the memory module as the instant fuel readings worked fine at all times so I will try and figure out what that looks like and where it is hidden and see if there is anything green and furry in there.

Old 23 May 2011, 05:35   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
My first thought was "memory module", check the terminators as well.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2011, 06:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
OK, ta.

I figure it must be something to do with the memory module as the instant fuel readings worked fine at all times so I will try and figure out what that looks like and where it is hidden and see if there is anything green and furry in there.
most likely culprit. It's a black stick about 4" long. with just one wire coming out. as opposed to the fuel tank converter which looks similar but has two wires.

It might of course have also been just one of those things that computers do occasionaly and if it happens again just reboot (switch off the engine and restart)

Born fiddler
Old 23 May 2011, 22:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
most likely culprit. It's a black stick about 4" long. with just one wire coming out. as opposed to the fuel tank converter which looks similar but has two wires.

It might of course have also been just one of those things that computers do occasionaly and if it happens again just reboot (switch off the engine and restart)
OK ta, I'll break out the switch cleaner and have a look on the weekend unfortunately I think the module is probably all bundled up in the harness so I will probably have to unscramble the whole thing to get at anything so not a 5 min job but I will have a look.

Reboot ... Windows on the water ... aaaargh

Old 22 June 2011, 21:45   #7

Well I have used the boat a couple of times and the problem has never reoccurred so I don't know what to make of it.

Let sleeping dogs lie I think

Old 23 June 2011, 07:53   #8

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Have a memory module plugged in now. Only took 3 yrs.
Old 24 June 2011, 15:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Have a memory module plugged in now. Only took 3 yrs.
Blimey, its been a while since you asked me for the details again.

Born fiddler