Old 17 November 2007, 06:14   #1

Boat name: "can"
Make: Joker Boat
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp e-tec
e-tec 40-50-60

Hi all,
After reading and reading all the posts for months its time for my first post. I own a 2004 model e-tec 40hp and while i was browsing their website i realised the displacement is all same for 40-50 and 60hp e-tec engines. (863cc) What is different in all three? Is it possible to upgrade my 40 to 60 with some minor parts/software changes?

Thanks,
Memo

ps: i tried the bbr website to get the operator's manual of my engine but it seems to be out of order. Can someone give me a hint where i can get them?
Old 19 November 2007, 01:57   #2

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
I went through this when buying an ETEC about a year ago. Wanted a 90, but could buy a leftover 75 for a lot less.

The end of a lot of research was that it's theoretically possible to do the upgrade, but there's no dealer that will plug in and program the ECU from the higher HP motor that you need. There may be different intake runners (as on the 75/90), but it's mostly in the ECU.

I'm used to being able to do this type of tuning with aftermarket automobile tuners, but there's no real outboard aftermarket.

Good luck. If you find a way to succeed, there are a lot of us who would want to know how you manage it!
Old 20 February 2008, 19:41   #3

I was at the eurasia boat show yesterday and i had a long chat with chief evinrude mechanics. They told me that the design of the combustion chamber is different in these engines and a simple ecu change will not bring the desired results.
Old 20 February 2008, 22:28   #4

Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by memo View Post
I was at the eurasia boat show yesterday and i had a long chat with chief evinrude mechanics. They told me that the design of the combustion chamber is different in these engines and a simple ecu change will not bring the desired results.

Not only that but the 60hp has a different exhaust system with a computer operated water valve that changes the exhaust tuning during hard acceleration.
Old 20 February 2008, 22:30   #5

Town: Deventer
Make: Zodiac pro 530
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90hp 1992
Maybe there a some differences but look for the part numbers in the on line manuals. But really think on this. you sure need lots of money for the parts and software.
trade it in for one with more power. so the engine comes on the market for the less fortuned ones under us.
looking for more power is sure fun but only when you are racing. get it first perfect on the boat with the right prop . there are the first upgrades to find
Old 21 February 2008, 08:22   #6

I totally agree it is not a simple job. The mechanic told me the upgrade is really easy if i sell the engine for a nice price and get a brand new 60 instead