Old 18 August 2009, 15:07   #1

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
DT200EFI Flushing point.

I wonder if anyone can confirm the situation with regard to the Flushing port on my 1998 Suzuki DT200EFI. Two Suzuki dealers have now given me conflicting information.

Does anyone have a Suzuki owners manual for the DT200EFI that gives instructions for the use of the flushing/hose attachment point on the cowling?

I’ve always flushed it using muffs, which are a pain to fit properly, and some water always escapes around the side. I get a good tell tale, but don’t like leaving it running for more than 5 mins as it starts to oil up idling for that long. Plus, even though I think the unsilenced sound of the exhaust bouncing off my garage door is glorious, I’m not sure my neighbours agree.

Every few times I also attach the hose to the flushing point on the cowling and leave it running water through for @1/4hr WITHOUT the engine running. The pipe work goes directly to the top of each cylinder head, and water pours out of every orifice including the tell tale and the water inlets below the pump.

One Suzuki dealer told me NEVER run the engine with a hose attached to the flushing point as the impellor won’t be lubricated, and one told me you have to run the engine to warm the motor enough to open the thermostat so the water gets to the cylinder heads.

The first one could be wrong as water is coming out of the water inlets so must be going through the water pump the wrong way, and the second one must be wrong as the flush point pipe work goes direct to the heads avoiding any thermostat.

My thoughts are that when using the flushing point without the engine running there must be part of the system that isn’t flushed because the thermostat is closed (Although I’ve never seen a thermostat on the engine) but I’m not sure enough water will get into the pump against the normal flow to lubricate it with the engine running.

Thanks

Nasher
Old 18 August 2009, 15:26   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Can you take the thermostat out - or doesn't it have one?

I have also read this conflicitng advice.

Can you be really crafty and use BOTH???
Old 18 August 2009, 15:28   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225

A video of a DT225 being flushed - shit quality video but he is running it in a big tank of water - may be the best solution.
Old 18 August 2009, 15:52   #4

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Assuming the engines are roughly similar, the Yamaha manual says (about using the flushing point) "do not perform this procedure when the engine is running. The water pump may be damaged and severe damage from overheating can result."
Old 18 August 2009, 17:30   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
I

One Suzuki dealer told me NEVER run the engine with a hose attached to the flushing point as the impellor won’t be lubricated,
Nasher
He's right
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2009, 21:37   #6

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I doubt for a minute that the engine should be running when using the flush port. My DF200 and previous DF90 both said to leave the engine off. I would think the flush point is past the thermostat location, so open or closed it shouldn't matter.
Old 18 August 2009, 21:48   #7

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Nasher, I ran my DT using the flushing point for the whole of the time I owned it. Can't remember how long but it was years. It was flushed after every trip and it never needed a replacement pump impeller during the time I owned it.
Old 19 August 2009, 07:09   #8

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Thanks for the replies guys, looks like it'll be safer to use the flushing point without the engine running then run it up quickly on the muffs.

I'd love to be ale to run it up in a big tank of water each time but don't think I have the room etc.

Nasher.
Old 20 August 2009, 10:08   #9

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Thanks for the replies guys, looks like it'll be safer to use the flushing point without the engine running then run it up quickly on the muffs.

I'd love to be ale to run it up in a big tank of water each time but don't think I have the room etc.

Nasher.
i have done it with smaller engines , use a strong waterproof bag with eyelets so you can it can be held up with rope ,,,old army kit bag or sail bag and fill that up ,as long as it goes over the cav plate and you top it up with water and you dont put it in gear it might l be ok for a quick flush.,,,and you dont rev the b...ks off it ,,,i know with a lot of engines when using the flushing point the water intake needs to be blocked off with tape or a clamp .
Old 20 August 2009, 15:58   #10

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
i know with a lot of engines when using the flushing point the water intake needs to be blocked off with tape or a clamp .

If you're using muffs and your motor has more than 2 water intakes (and you're running the motor), you need to block off the unused ones.

Don't think it's an issue when using a head-mounted flushing port and running water through a non-running engine...

jky