Old 02 March 2007, 15:56   #11

Town: watford
Boat name: The Bandit &
Make: Hunton Rib
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 8.1 Mercruisers
My info its the silicone in the fuel thats doing in the sensors in the exhaust systems on modern cars. So if your driving a old banger without cats these should be some bloody cheap petrol about.

Old 02 March 2007, 18:23   #12

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I think the silicone thing is a load of bollocks - I suspect a whitewash. Why is it only harming some cars and why didn't they find it at first? I suspect they could find traces of silicone or similar in ANY fuel if they look hard enough.

It seems way too much of a coincidence that the SE is the area effected and it's the SE that is trialling ethanol. Of course the powers that be have approved ethanol for use in cars so it MUST be ok!!!

Old 03 March 2007, 01:54   #13

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I think the silicone thing is a load of bollocks - I suspect a whitewash. Why is it only harming some cars and why didn't they find it at first? I suspect they could find traces of silicone or similar in ANY fuel if they look hard enough.
First I've heard of silicone in fuel.

Look, guys; ethanol is not some kind of evil joojoo; it's a chemical. It burns to pretty much clean CO2 and water. You may have an argument that it eats rubber; that has been demonstrated before (and addressed by any manufacturer who has an ear to the ground, I might add; about 20 years ago, as I recall); the rest is fear-mongering.

It will, as I stated, tend to dislodge stuff that pure gasoline (whatever that is), or MTBE laced gasoline (if that was what you could get), won't; that's what I suspect you're seeing. Either from the gas station holding tanks, or the car tanks themselves. In either case, it's a transitional thing. Not ideal, but there you go.

Sounds like you Brits are starting the whole E10 hysteria that was here in the states all over again. (and if you want a taste, hit any boating forum and do a search for ethanol.)

jky
Old 03 March 2007, 06:48   #14

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
First I've heard of silicone in fuel.

Look, guys; ethanol is not some kind of evil joojoo; it's a chemical. It burns to pretty much clean CO2 and water. You may have an argument that it eats rubber; that has been demonstrated before (and addressed by any manufacturer who has an ear to the ground, I might add; about 20 years ago, as I recall); the rest is fear-mongering.

It will, as I stated, tend to dislodge stuff that pure gasoline (whatever that is), or MTBE laced gasoline (if that was what you could get), won't; that's what I suspect you're seeing. Either from the gas station holding tanks, or the car tanks themselves. In either case, it's a transitional thing. Not ideal, but there you go.

Sounds like you Brits are starting the whole E10 hysteria that was here in the states all over again. (and if you want a taste, hit any boating forum and do a search for ethanol.)

jky

I do NOT think ethanol is a bad substance - in fact a mate of mine has run top fuel dragsters so alcohol powered cars aren't new to me.

What I think is happening is that the ECUs of these cars just weren't expecting ethanol - I am sure a slight reprogramming is all they need. What I AM annoyed about is the way they have sneaked this in without even telling anyone and are looking for any excuse to avoid the blame. And I am NOT just referring to Tesco on this - the government I suspect is also in on it.

If there were true benefits to the planet from this stuff I would be all for it but it is nothing but a sop to the environmentalists - the amount of energy required to process this stuff etc is huge and even worse the countries that are growing it like Brazil and Indonesia are destroying the rainforest and all it's wildlife to get the land to grow this stuff on.
Old 03 March 2007, 07:45   #15

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:

It seems way too much of a coincidence that the SE is the area effected and it's the SE that is trialling ethanol. Of course the powers that be have approved ethanol for use in cars so it MUST be ok!!!
I agree.
Old 03 March 2007, 08:56   #16

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
ohhh dear they have admitted it (silicone contamination) now according to the news

I smell some very large compensation claims looming, the price of bread may be about to go up

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 March 2007, 09:11   #17
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
ohhh dear they have admitted it (silicone contamination) now according to the news

I smell some very large compensation claims looming, the price of bread may be about to go up
Just heard on the radio they've traced the source of the contamination to 4 storage tanks in Essex.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 March 2007, 11:48   #18

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:

You do talk a load of sh*te at times.
Old 03 March 2007, 11:49   #19

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Even more unbelievably they are saying that the price of fuel is going to go up to cover the costs....

How can they get away with that? - is there no such thing as liability in this world!

"Whoops we f***ed up so now you are going to have to pay extra as well as getting your car fixed...."

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 March 2007, 12:26   #20

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Thats Britain all over though.