Click Here to Login

Old 18 September 2006, 11:14   #21

Town: Plougastel-Daoulas
Boat name: Kristha
Make: Narwhal HD580
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90hp TLDI
Quote:

The tohatsu came up as most economical (90hp) on a test I read this am aginst the suzuki 90, the opti and the etec!!!!
Hum... That would be the TLDI 90 like mine, I think Mark was referring to the rock-solid carb'd ones which are NOT so good on fuel.
Old 18 September 2006, 11:56   #22

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Local dealer johnson..could'nt be better, there are a limited number of sook dealers in scotland none where I am - Ribraft contacted suzuki who said the CD for diagnostics was the same as johnson the local johnson dealer agreed to plug in the engine and check it via the Johnson branded suzuki software you could do the same!! jobs a goodun.

Ribcraft made me very welcome when I went there and were only to keen to show me round, they would be keen to see you.
Old 18 September 2006, 14:58   #23

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I'd choose electronic fuel injection any time. I've had experience of a Honda 50 (carb) and now a Suzuki 90 EFI. Whilst a carb engine can be 'tinkered' with and adjusted by practically any engine mechanic, the efi is more reliable long term as far as I'm concerned. I did have some problems with my Suzzy 90, which turned out to be the plugs. The only thing you can't do with the Suzzy is check the electronic control unit itself without the proper test equipment/pc. However, you can still (laboriously) check all the sensors, wiring and controls with a simple digital voltmeter. All the resistances and voltages to check for are contained in the Suzuki workshop manual available from the USA for about £90. I know, I've done it! And all because of some dodgy plugs!

The tacho gauges on the efi engines are also more informative about engine problems than on carb models. They have a degree of engine diagnosis built in which you don't get on most similar sized carb engines.

keith
Old 18 September 2006, 14:59   #24

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET
Local dealer johnson..could'nt be better, there are a limited number of sook dealers in scotland none where I am - Ribraft contacted suzuki who said the CD for diagnostics was the same as johnson the local johnson dealer agreed to plug in the engine and check it via the Johnson branded suzuki software you could do the same!! jobs a goodun.

Ribcraft made me very welcome when I went there and were only to keen to show me round, they would be keen to see you.
Cool, now that is exactly what I wanted to hear!

Ribcraft will be getting a visit from me when I'm over next year too. I shouldn't, because I'll probably end up ordering one regardless of whether I have the cash

Thanks