Old 08 April 2007, 11:05   #1

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
'Detuning' to save fuel?

My year 2000 carbed Mercury 4st. 90 hp specifications seem identical to the 75 hp version. Presumably the extra power is found by pouring more fuel into the engine? (bigger jets?) My usual cruising revs are between 3000 and 3500. - around 21-23 knots. WOT is just short of 40knots and the fuel vanishes in minutes . I rarely want to go that fast and can't afford it anyway.

Just wondered if I could 'detune' the engine to the 75 hp spec., would I get better fuel consumption at my 23 knots? Presumably, with less power one would need more revs to keep the speed.

I just wondered if the engine would be more efficient running at higher revs and therefore burn less than it does at the moment at my cruising revs.

Mind you, there's going to be more stress at higher revs. Mmm! Perhaps I've answered my own question?

Any experts? Any thoughts?
Old 08 April 2007, 11:08   #2

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
AFAIK the only differences between a Yam 60 and 70 hp are the carbs and the exhaust. Presumably yours is much the same as the Yam
Old 08 April 2007, 12:24   #3

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
IMHO you would be wasting your money doing this as it's the weight, length and shape of the boat that dictates fuel efficiency more, not the engine (at cruising speeds). At WOT yes there are savings to be made, but you have control over this by traveling everywhere at the most economical speed.

I'll give you an example of this.

Kohaku which is a 5.3m RIB with a Merc F90 (same as yours) did 2-1.5nm/l at cruising (4000rpm) on a cruise where WOT was used most of the time she was drinking it at 1nm/l.

Now compare this with some other members RIBs with a 6m RIB and bigger engines. I would expect a 150 Optimax to give a very comparable cruising economy but the WOT to be significantly worse.

Certainly not worth the differance betwen a 75 and a 90

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2007, 12:25   #4

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
You're going to need x amount of power to sustain y amount of speed and, for a given efficiency, you'll use z amount of fuel. So it's going to be down to using the engine at its most efficient speed. Just reducing its maximum possible power is not likely to do it unless, by doing this, you also improve efficiency. It is often the case that carbs with a smaller venturi are more efficient and responsive at mid range revs so this could give an improvement but, of course, also a reducion in maximum power and it's not likely to be a great improvement.
Old 08 April 2007, 13:33   #5

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
I have found that the weight in the boat makes a significant difference. I used to routinely leave my dive gear in the boat... including two sets of double tanks, plus another O2 bottle, plus all of the other stuff.... My guess is that it weighed 250 pounds. Also, I was in the habit of topping up the fuel every time I went out, even if I was just heading out for a short trip. With a total fuel capacity of 180 litres, the weight of this fuel is close to 300 pounds. So between dive gear and fuel, the "potential" is there to reduce weigh significantly on a lot of the short trips I take. Between this and watching my speed, I have been able to make some significant changes in my fuel consumption.

I read an article a while back which explained "how" fuel was consummed in an outboard, and the reality was that a great deal of the fuel is wasted just producing heat. Water conditions also makes a huge difference as we all know, as do driving habits and crap growing on the hull.

My guess is that detuning your engine as you describe will have less effect on fuel consumption than other factors... but that's just my opinion!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2007, 15:41   #6

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
I think you have the answer in your own hands-just dont drive flat out! We have a 90carbed merc 4 stroke on a 5.5 Ocean Pro. More economical than our Suzuki 90 injection 4 stroke and have never had the situation where the fuel "just disappears" at any speed. Need to drive a 2 stroke V4 to see fuel vanish
Old 09 April 2007, 02:58   #7

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
Need to drive a 2 stroke V4 to see fuel vanish
LOL.. Try a 2-stroke V6! It burns through money faster than my ex!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2007, 03:37   #8

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
detuning? not on my life...

Try two v 6's sucking it down. Hey look at it this way, if you don't burn it someone else will.. Still love the sound of those motors when you nail it coming out of the hole... Sometimes you just have to ante up for the good things in life!
Old 09 April 2007, 08:25   #9

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
Try two v 6's sucking it down. Hey look at it this way, if you don't burn it someone else will.. Still love the sound of those motors when you nail it coming out of the hole... Sometimes you just have to ante up for the good things in life!
Not surprised at 30 pence a litre

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2007, 10:38   #10

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
Need to drive a 2 stroke V4 to see fuel vanish
Tell me about it

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2007, 17:58   #11

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
AFAIK the only differences between a Yam 60 and 70 hp are the carbs and the exhaust. Presumably yours is much the same as the Yam
Yes, it's a Yamaha powerhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower
Kohaku which is a 5.3m RIB with a Merc F90 (same as yours) did 2-1.5nm/l at cruising (4000rpm) on a cruise where WOT was used most of the time she was drinking it at 1nm/l.
Interesting, same sized boat and engine. I seem to get an average of 1.7nm/l at 3250-3500rpm. Guess it would be 1.5 at 4000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
You're going to need x amount of power to sustain y amount of speed and, for a given efficiency, you'll use z amount of fuel. So it's going to be down to using the engine at its most efficient speed. Just reducing its maximum possible power is not likely to do it unless, by doing this, you also improve efficiency
Yes, as I thought. Guess I was wondering whether running at higher revs would improve efficiency. I'm thinking not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength
I think you have the answer in your own hands-just dont drive flat out! We have a 90carbed merc 4 stroke on a 5.5 Ocean Pro. More economical than our Suzuki 90 injection 4 stroke and have never had the situation where the fuel "just disappears" at any speed. Need to drive a 2 stroke V4 to see fuel vanish
I think you're right. You've made me feel so much better - I had the illusion that the modern injected engines were much more economical. Guess 'disappearing fuel' is all in the mind. I'm still getting used to engine power after many years using 'free' (apparently) wind. You've reminded me. I did have a part share in a Glastron speedboat in the late 60's, with a big Evinrude on the back. Buried it as an unpleasant memory, I think.

Thanks all for thoughts, ideas and advice. I'll leave things as they are, keep the throttle arm short, lie back and think of the poor chaps in the Falklands.