Old 21 May 2010, 10:03   #1

Town: Cheltenham, UK
Boat name: Hatty
Make: Terhi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP outboard
Dented prop advice

Never done this before but theres a first time for everything so they say....
The other day managed to put a very small dent in the prop while reversing in a new
marina (yes I was sober). There seems to be an extra buzzing vibration at higher speeds above around 25 knots. Apart from these rare times when I go at speed (mainly stick to rivers) it doesnt seem to make any difference.

So i'm wondering whether to (a) leave it as it is, (b) get it repaired costing £100 and
losing 2 weeks use, and (c) getting a new prop fitted costing £140 (no cruising time lost). Any tips or comments would be much appreciated, thanks, Ivan
Old 21 May 2010, 10:16   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan4199 View Post
Never done this before but theres a first time for everything so they say....
The other day managed to put a very small dent in the prop while reversing in a new
marina (yes I was sober). There seems to be an extra buzzing vibration at higher speeds above around 25 knots. Apart from these rare times when I go at speed (mainly stick to rivers) it doesnt seem to make any difference.

So i'm wondering whether to (a) leave it as it is, (b) get it repaired costing £100 and
losing 2 weeks use, and (c) getting a new prop fitted costing £140 (no cruising time lost). Any tips or comments would be much appreciated, thanks, Ivan
Buy a new one - (£140 seems rather steep) fit yourself and keep the one with a ding as a spare for when you do it again ........
Old 21 May 2010, 11:13   #3

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Get a new one - I got a 115hp alli prop for less than that last time I went rrrrotavatinnn

I wouldn't leave it as it is if you can feel a difference in vibration then so will the bottom end of the outboard...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2010, 11:24   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan4199 View Post
(a) leave it as it is,
no - but you might be able to smooth the damage out yourself if its minor? I'd say if its causing vibration you shouldn't use it - even if you are sticking to the speed where the problem is not obvious (it must still be unbalanced so increasing wear on the gearbox etc).

Quote:
(b) get it repaired costing £100 and
losing 2 weeks use,
Is there something special about your prop? repair to a 3 blade Ali prop should cost less than about £50 and be back in your hands in about a week. There are a couple of prop repair places on the south coast who might even be cheaper/faster than that if you can drop it in/pick it up.
Quote:
(c) getting a new prop fitted costing £140 (no cruising time lost).
Shop around on internet and you'll probably find a standard 3 blade prop for less than a £100.
Old 25 May 2010, 11:33   #5

Town: Hythe
Boat name: BBQ
Make: Avon
Engine: Yam 40
MMSI: 235080184
Steel Developments in south west london, Wandsworth to be exact. Repaired mine for £34 + vat after my father in law decided to use the prop to dig his way out of a gravel bank just of Rye.
New replacement was about £90 but the repair was back in just over a week.

Providing there is still 2/3 of the original blade they can repaire, re-balance and even paint it..

Super service.

G
Old 25 May 2010, 12:12   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Steel Dev. seems to have a good range of recon ali props, basically what you'd be getting back if they repaired yours, for about £45. No delays and you'd still have a dinged spare which you could hammer out at home for the next time .
Old 29 May 2010, 21:20   #7
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Steel Developments do an express service over a few hours but there is a premium as a result.

The normal service is £35.

Chris