Old 14 August 2004, 00:57   #1

Town: Ardnamurchan
Make: Domar Corsair
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 20HP
MMSI: What?
DeCarbing products? (UK)

I read on some website that i should decarb my outboard (due to filthy OLD 2 stroke oil, tip, never use 2stroke engine oil that you found lying in the cupboard)

I was told to get a product named "Sea foam" but cant find it in the UK.

Does anyone know of a UK mailorder company that stocks stuff to decarb with?
If so, what is the uk varient of the stuff?

Thanks,

Daniel.
Old 14 August 2004, 02:52   #2

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
I've got the stuff in my garage, most O/B oriented chandlers stock it. If no one else has replied, I'll go and find it in the morning and let you know the correct name for it.
M
Old 18 August 2004, 21:12   #3

Engine packed up yesterday at 200M from coast, so i guess im lucky, it is really really horrid, anyone, please advise me on Decarbing products?
Had to take engine in anyway, now has a Kill switch with Lanyard, to be safer

Thanks,
Daniel.
Old 18 August 2004, 21:23   #4

Quicksilver Power Tune
Old 18 August 2004, 21:33   #5

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-d
Engine packed up yesterday at 200M from coast
I hope you meant 200m(etres) not 200M(iles) otherwise you will be eligible for honorary membership of the "Allan Priddy Fan Club".

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2004, 22:17   #6

200 Metres, that boat does not even reach 4 miles before i have to take the jerrycan back to the petrol station

MadMat, how exactly do you use the stuff, do you just squirt it into the carb until the engine stops, and then leave it overnight and attempt to fire up next day? I've seen many different opinions on the mercury forums (Mostly Americans..)

Thanks,
Daniel.
Old 18 August 2004, 23:37   #7

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Daniel the instructions on the can say something like run the engine and squirt in each carb however engine should be cold. The engine will try to stall so don't squirt all the carbs at once. Its going to produce an awful lot of white oily smoke, don't park anything near the boat when you do it. You have been warned. You will want to clean the spark plugs afterwards or even replace them.

Both Mercury (Quicksilver and Evindrude do carb cleaners).

However why are you doing a mile to a gallon ? something else wrong there I think. Is the fuel pump leaking ? if its a 2 stoke, might be worth doing a compression test on it or even taking the clyinder head off and having a look.

Pete
Old 19 August 2004, 01:08   #8

Hi Pete, my dad tells me to wait till we go to inverness until i get the stuff.

It's an old Mercury thunderbolt thing, and has been sitting still for quite a while. I've had it to bits today to add a lanyard and killswitch, since it did not have this, but an old push button (not really safe going out on your own..)

I need to get hold of new plugs, they are surface discharge, but i cant find them anywhere.

At the same time i have a dad begging me not to take the bl***y thing to bits incase something breaks off, or im unable to repair it (im going to be 18 this saturday) and i dont think he really trusts me taking anything to bits..
I keep on telling him that there is only one way to find out, and that is by trial and error.

I was just joking about the mile to a gallon thing, the tank is aprox 30L i think, and it eats quarter of a tank for about 4 miles travel at variable speeds.
Also, the vent was broken, and was constantly open, with the hot weather quite a bit must have evaporated.

The engine is still not finetuned, but as im in the middle of nowhere, there is nobody near except Glasgow/Inverness (and i dont really fancy bringing the outboard all the way down there to get charged with a whacking great bill)

compression is fine on both of them, its just gummed up and surface discharge cant find anything to discharge on at a weak spark/current
as soon as it gets up to speed on one of the two cilinders, it will fire the second one up and then it will run fine... for a while.. unless it stops like it did the other day... having a dad worried sick about me out on a boat does not really help either....

I intend to clean it out in the water, attached to the boat as our old bathtub has just been cleaned, and cant use any petrol/oil in it at the moment, as it gets used to water the plants...

enough preaching.....

Maybe i should take up an apprentenceship on Outboard maintenance

Thanks,
Daniel.
Old 19 August 2004, 07:54   #9

I'm in agreement with Pete7, even if his boat smokes like he's running it on powertune all the time.

The powertune stuff is good at cleaning out the internals, and whilst everyone has their own preference, there's plenty of instructions on the tin about how to do it. But it sounds like there's something else amiss. Seems like you're not afraid of getting yer hands dirty and having a go though, so I'm sure you'll sort it.
Old 19 August 2004, 14:27   #10

Yep, im expecting a half dead coil that manages to ground itself, but the bolts ontop of the coil wont come undone, and fold double (i think they are aluminium or something) they dont come undone with WD40... so im just leaving them... a change of sparkplugs and their cables should do miracles to..

Cleaned out the petrol tank today, getting ready to stick it back together in a few hours after the paint of the dial is dry.. (and i hope it's petrol resistant..)
Old 19 August 2004, 17:25   #11

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
If you're having trouble undoing the nuts holding the coil in place, just try giving them a sharp blow (hit it hard I mean ) with a hammer. Then pop your socket wrench (or spanner ideally) on it and try hitting that round with short sharp blows. Make sure your spanner's a good fit though or you'll round the nuts off and regret ever taking any advice from me!.
Old 19 August 2004, 18:52   #12

To late

The corners are rounded, and when you give it a blow the nuts just fold double, imagine a small 50P coin with an upstanding edge around it.
that's what it is, and the edges just give way and fold in.. i think i'd saw them off if i would really need to get them undone, and then use molegrips to undo the rest of the bolt, and replace them.

If you want to see what i have been up to today:
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....2343#post62343