Old 19 February 2018, 17:03   #1

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
Cummins Mercruiser 1.7 DTI 120HP diesel Alternate parts experience

I'm hoping someone on here can share experience of these engines rebuilt with non-Mercruiser pistons. I've come across a number of cases of these engines being rebuilt in recent years where in every case the bill was under 1,000 for the job. Which would seem realistic until you factor in Merc/Cummins pistons clocking in at over £200 each (with rings extra)

I came across a green tubed Redbay Stormforce 6.5 which had suffered the dreaded piston failure a few years back around Galway and was rebuilt for about a thousand€ so clearly not Mercruiser parts.
A Humber 6.5 with Blue tubes I tried to buy around London a few years ago had also been rebuilt a year or so previously for a cracked piston at a cost of around £1,000.

So while no one is shouting about not using Mercruiser parts they are getting used. I'd really like to hear if anyone has any information on using alternate pistons especially as the Mercruiser ones seem to fail anyway. I was careful to buy an engine with the modified-against-pistons-melting serial numbers (88+) but that doesn't guarantee a trouble free life as the wastegate can cause similar problems.

I replaced my turbo last year as the wastegate had seized during the previous season -specifically to avoid piston damage. It seems to have recurred with the replacement despite applying PTFE spray to the WG after every trip. There are going to be some changes made to that turbo before it goes back on.
Meanwhile as it's apparently been run a couple of times with a seized wastegate, the engine is coming out to have the head off and inspect the pistons for any overboost induced deterioration, hence the scoping of potential part sources.

Any info appreciated!

BTW after three+ years I can vouch for the Opel van starter being a direct replacement for the rather expensive Mercruiser version. Unless you really want your starter in black!
Old 19 February 2018, 21:36   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Your inbox is full!
Old 20 February 2018, 19:43   #3

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
Ooops. Did a spring clean just now. Sorry!

Tags
diesel