Old 26 July 2013, 12:50   #1

Town: margate
Make: SELVA
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50
Cooling System

Hi all,

Is there a simple way of checking that the cooling system is ok on my 50hp, 2 cylinder, 2 stroke outboard. The pee hole is clear and seems to pump water well, but I have been told that doesn't mean the whole cooling system is clear !!

Thanks for any advice ..
Old 26 July 2013, 14:23   #2

Town: Arlington
Boat name: Clear Cut
Make: Polaris
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, petrol,150
The nature of the flow from the pee hole is diagnostic of engine problems like a weak water pump or clogged system. I would tend to believe the pee port and not worry as long as the flow is strong or hasn't changed how it looks.

That said I just installed a water pressure gauge on my new 150 Yamaha. The theory is that it will help me monitor the cooling status both short term and over time. My gauge set only has idiot lights for engine temp and pressure and I feel better with at least one real gauge.
Old 26 July 2013, 20:15   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
What are you trying to do?

(1) Make sure its all OK now just in case?
(2) Investigate a problem / something you are worried about?
(3) Track developing issues over time (e.g. clogging of the water ways in the head)?
(4) Spot a problem quickly at sea before the engine goes bang?

Probably 4 different answers.
Old 26 July 2013, 20:27   #4

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I have a Mariner 135hp V6 that has a new impeller and was peeing well but just for curiosity took the thermostats out for a look and discovered that one was not working & both were covered in crap!
Cost about £30 for two new ones with gaskets which is a cheap way of hopefully relaxing that it's one less thing to worry about on the jollies next week.....
Basic stuff I know but better than risking two weeks ploughing about in the kids SIB
Old 26 July 2013, 20:30   #5

I may have a problem with over heating, hopefully I'll get out over the weekend, if I loose power again I'll by pass the thermo switch to see if it makes a difference.
Old 26 July 2013, 20:44   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinky View Post
I may have a problem with over heating, hopefully I'll get out over the weekend, if I loose power again I'll by pass the thermo switch to see if it makes a difference.
Does your engine have an overheat alarm and is it working? I wouldn't rely on one to give sufficient early warning to prevent damage though. If I was worried things were getting hot I'd be inclined to fit a little temperature probe to the head and keep an eye on it.
Old 28 July 2013, 00:03   #7

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinky View Post
What makes you think you have a heat problem? If your control box is beeping heat tunes then it either means a faulty sender or a genuine overheat.

As Poly says, probably worth having some form of monitor in place if you disconnect the temp switch as a genuine cooling problem will cause much grief if you bypass the alarm & let it cook...
Old 28 July 2013, 00:07   #8
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Hmmm... 50hp, 2 cyl , and old tech at a guess.Prob no beeper.

Either get an IR thermometer and point it at the block while it's running, or a more basic way is to extend the pee hose to above the powerhead and see if it carries on peeing. If it doesnt, your water pressure isn't enough to reach all the block. That won't tell you if your cooling system's blocked though, just that you've got enough pressure.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2013, 00:33   #9

A pee stream only tells you that it's working, it gives no indication of strength of the flow at wot. If you haven't changed the impeller in a few yrs then do it now, better be safe than sorry
Old 28 July 2013, 20:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post

What makes you think you have a heat problem? If your control box is beeping heat tunes then it either means a faulty sender or a genuine overheat.

As Poly says, probably worth having some form of monitor in place if you disconnect the temp switch as a genuine cooling problem will cause much grief if you bypass the alarm & let it cook...
It's a suggestion from selva uk, I only want to bypass the thermo switch and run the engine briefly to see if I get full power.
Old 28 July 2013, 20:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Hmmm... 50hp, 2 cyl , and old tech at a guess.Prob no beeper.

Either get an IR thermometer and point it at the block while it's running, or a more basic way is to extend the pee hose to above the powerhead and see if it carries on peeing. If it doesnt, your water pressure isn't enough to reach all the block. That won't tell you if your cooling system's blocked though, just that you've got enough pressure.
Don't think I do, I have a beeper that tells me when the oil level is getting low....