Old 31 October 2003, 12:55   #41

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
I was actually up into the early hours entertaining an old friend Louis Courvoisier, unfortunately he's a treachorous bast**d and has got me into trouble on a number of occasions last night being just the latest. Proof of this lies on the Boatmad forum.

CH and I are Mates ( still I hope) I do love winding him up, I suspect the argument hasn't finished yet though. In reality I am just sparring with CH so I can sort out RichardB!
Old 31 October 2003, 13:55   #42
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: OPTI 225
I am not too sure if 1 of AP 2 Leg replacement was caused by one Maltise fish farm or not...... I like the yamaha haydadrive as it simple use of common tecknology, ie mulit wet plate cluch system, ie motorbikes and big industral shredders and the like. very soomth and relabile.... its down fall is heat !! I think the Yamaha leg is one of the best on the market, pitty its not twin props!

My experance of volvo legs is that they fail from lack if use/ maintenance, as compared to gear boxes blowing up as in most bravo drives I have heard about.........as a whole I think that Volvo is better designed and they control the installs much better that Mercruses, Ie you are not putting a transit engine on to the leg

As I would say again, Yanmar first, Volvo second, pitty about the CAT not fitting they are works of art not engines........... I would keep that eninge in my bedroom

PS I couldnt spell or Write my way out of a corner!!!
Old 31 October 2003, 14:09   #43

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Hebridean
Make: Redbay
Length: 8.4m
Engine: Yanmar 315HP
Thanks for the advice. I would go for Yamaha but 240 horses are not enough. Therefore if the yanmar uses the same block as the yamaha i think i may go with the yanmar 315HP. My only real problem with that is the unreliable Bravo drives. Too much choice.

ALSO: Stu was saying that there is 300 HP version of the Yamaha ME421 (240hp) on the way. Anybody know anything about this, cos it would be ideal
Old 31 October 2003, 14:48   #44
TIM

Bravo Drives

I think that the choice for you is 2 or 3, the 2 is commercal single prop spec, and the 3 is twin prop better speed....

The new X drives are a big improvement on relibiltiy and once fitted with transom shower and no wave jumping, it should be ok

I know Mike Garside has a new instal of 315 and B3X so maybe he can fill you in on this...... If it was me buying the Redbay, thats what I would go for.....
Old 31 October 2003, 14:52   #45

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Drives

We have the Bravo 3 leg and ours is fine at the moment, the new X leg is a much better model with strenghtened parts and bearings etc. With the 315 Yanmar I would go for the Bravo 1 leg which is the leg that the new scorpions run on for anything over 300hp. They take the torque from the engine much easier and are not prone to going bang.

Julian
Old 31 October 2003, 23:16   #46

Has anybody got any concrete proof that Yamaha, yanmar etc are working on new electronic engines? If they are i can wait, but if not a yanmar now seems like the best bet. Stu, where did you hear about this 300 HP Yamaha? (thanks for the e-mail BTW)
Old 01 November 2003, 01:27   #47

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Despite what you are reading in the recent posts, there are a lot of Yanmar failures. Cracked blocks, engine mouting braces, Bravo failures (even with the shower fitted). Barrus, when very, very pushed, will admit to the Yanmar 315 B3x not being completely reliable. The Yanmar also has substantial turbo lag.

If you go to the B1 or B2 you'll be back to propeller torque.

-----------------

Now it's in the open, you might as well know that a good deal of Thursday night's postings were a deliberate wind up of Crazyhorse. You should ignore those postings because they were invented for the sole purpose of inflaming the conversation. Some of the info. was actually correct, but you'll have difficulty filtering it!

Keep your eyes peeled for folk with a drink problem.

-----------

Do some searches here. Much of what you are asking has been discussed at length and so is well documented.
Old 01 November 2003, 06:29   #48

Quote:
Originally posted by TIM

As I would say again, Yanmar first, Volvo second, pitty about the CAT not fitting they are works of art not engines........... I would keep that eninge in my bedroom

PS I couldnt spell or Write my way out of a corner!!!
Yeh an with 1700 ft pounds of torgue it could pull itself up the stairs.

eye amm nott ippokritikal enuff too ave a goe hat yore spellng, hi jusst sore ann opportuneity too mak a funnee commentt. wen eye manjez too spel rite thenn mi fingas cooks upp

RR
I am fairly certain that Alan Priddy was telling me, about 6 months ago, but you can't trust a word I say cos I am a complete knobb

cheers
Stuart
Old 01 November 2003, 18:12   #49

Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Engine: 225 optimax

This is the rib Tim mentioned with twin diesels she is in Bangor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	barry 8.4.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	3414  

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2003, 19:15   #50

My favourite ever Rib has twin 240 Diesels, It's called Still Deep One and it's a big Delta. yummy.

JW

Whilst I admit that my postings turned into a deliberate attempt to get CH to contradict himself, I do genuinely not like Volvo diesels in Ribs or Cabin Cruisers for that matter. I much prefer American or Japanese lumps.

On reflection and having looked at Redbays pamphlet then I think you could fit a Cat in there, they do a nice straight 6
Old 01 November 2003, 19:54   #51

I've been on that boat, and it's very nice (apart from the blue and yellow). I've copied it's dash layout on my 8.4. Are you sure it has twin engines? (and which ones?)

I think i've decided to ditch common rail (i can always repower in 4 or 5 years time). So now it's between KAD300 and the Yanmar 6LY 315HP. Apparently the yanmar only churns out 287 horses when fitted to a mercury drive (why is this?) which means it has no real power advantage over the volvo. I'm slightly inclined to yanmar as its a simplier design and therefore it's probably easier to work on.
Old 03 November 2003, 11:13   #52

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Rover 3.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
Volvos are crap too.....

To crazyhorse.... this is from the other half of caterpillars are best especially in a bad arse boat like a searider 8.4m such as say Wavehumper and Badbaws own.... Not other poxy little boat like you have... oh that's right you haven't even seen your boat with the engine in it!!! So how you could possibly say it is good....
Look forward to rescuing you out on the water when you're up and running...

Badbaws, partner in crime to wavehumper
Old 03 November 2003, 11:31   #53

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Brookside....

I believe they are cancelling Brookside and replacing it with a new series called "big bad ribsters". The previous pages are the script for the first episode. I reckon it'll be a smash
Old 03 November 2003, 17:17   #54

Steyr have brought out a 260HP engine that weighs 322kg (435 with drive). Now that is light. Infact it's 105kg lighter than the yanmar and 140kg less than the KAD300. How far would this difference is weight go to making up for the fewer horses that the steyr offers? 100 - 140kg is fairly significant, isn't it?
Old 03 November 2003, 17:43   #55
TIM

STYER

Good indstural engines, but they dont seem popular in boats, for some resion???? they have a common block and head, this makes them lighter in weight, but also makes them more difficult to service in the long run, because if you want to regrind a valve, you have to take the bottom end off Pain in the arse......

Otherwise I havent heard anything bad about them.....

100kg is 1.5 people, or in my case ME, you are still down 40hp and if you want to run fast, just run with as little fuel as possibe all the time and keep as much crap off the boat as you can... dont invite friend out etc etc none of which anyone does

200-250L of diesel is heavy........

SO what I am trying to say is Go with Yanmar.... What have Tom's comments on the subject been?????
Old 03 November 2003, 18:12   #56

Toms' comments have been few with alot of nothing inbetween them. His favourite phrase is "I'll get back to you", which of course he dosn't. So i'm dealing with a guy called Gary. He recommended the KAD300, but i haven't had the chance to ask him why yet. I now think i want to go with the Yanmar, so i'll ask him and see what he thinks.

BTW: How much torque can the bravo X legs take. Will they handle the 370 or 440 Yanmar?
Old 03 November 2003, 19:56   #57

Quote:
Originally posted by Redbay Rover

BTW: How much torque can the bravo X legs take. Will they handle the 370 or 440 Yanmar?

Redbay, have you been reading this thread? You are joking?

Start reading here;http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...lvo+thread+for
Old 03 November 2003, 20:47   #58

All that thread does is explain why the KAD would be the better choice. All i need is a simple yes or no, will the bravo x drive be able to handle a 370 or 440HP Yanmar?
Old 03 November 2003, 21:33   #59

No.

---------------

Try this one too.

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...=body+language
Old 04 November 2003, 05:08   #60

Thanks for the info JW. gavin, do you have any more pics of Movin' On?