Old 15 April 2016, 15:36   #11
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
>>> Originally Posted by Fenlander... I'm was wondering about an inline water separating fuel filter (50+) somewhere in the tank line...

>>>When you mentioned this before I considered doing the same... i was always puzzled "why" though - per my other comments about garden equipment never having had a problem in 20 years of, well, neglect and crappy fuel. Is it down to condensation? Or water ingress from just being on the water? or?

My thoughts surrounded the increasing amounts of Ethanol being added to petrol which can allow water to be absorbed by the fuel to a greater degree... partricularly in long term storage where corrosion of fuel system parts might occour.

I've never really worried about it in the old 2-strokes as I believed the oil in the mix might negate any corrosion plus the smaller 2-strokes were quite basic in respect of carburation so not that onerous to give a carb clean.

However going to EFI with the Suzuki means finer and more expensive fuel system components so I'd wondered if they needed the added protection of an external filter.

However I decided to go the way of recycling unused fuel into the cars and running the outboard on newly bought fuel all the time.

Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote