Old 09 June 2005, 20:22   #1

Town: York
Boat name: Hi Flyer
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
MMSI: 235033234
Choice of Engine?

Hi everyone. In the middle of buying a 7mtr or 7.5 mtr Humber Ocean Pro. Long time looking at engines and down to either Suzuki 4 stroke (looking at a DF 200) which I am told is a bit slow on pick up compared to 2 stroke, is a heavy lump and will need careful trimming to avoid 'bow up' but is very reliable & popular. Other options are Yamaha 2 stroke (looking at 200 HPDI) which I am told picks up better, is more economic, lighter, but a bit noisier. Last one I've latched onto is the Evinrude 200 E-tec. Quiet, light, economical, 3 yr no servicing, good on pick up but new and unproven. Also hard to come by I am told. Any experienced ribbers our there who can offer advice before I spend my money? Another thread going on propellers if anyone has time to help and one on electronics. Many thanks
Old 09 June 2005, 20:44   #2

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Jeff, firstly welcome to RIBnet!

You seem to have quite a good appreciation of the main differences between the engines so I reckon it comes down to what your priorities are, e.g. pick up? fuel economy? warranty? etc.

Can't speak from experience about the Etec or Suzuki but we have the Yammie 200 hpdi and in the two years that we've had the boat we have been very happy with it.
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2005, 20:49   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
After all I Have read about outboards I would go for an Evinrude Etec - I have only been looking at the larger engines 250hp bracket but they are supposed to be very good - having said that people also very happy with the Suzuki 4 strokes.

I think if it were me I would go for the best deal I could find

http://www.aboatcentre.co.uk/enginesnew_122346.html

£8999 for new Suzuki DF200TUL

Seems pretty good - don't know prices for the others though!!!
Old 09 June 2005, 20:55   #4

Thanks Louise, Going to be cove hoping up & down the east coast, day tripping & occasionally towing with toys. Also to be used as a dive platform. Once found feet hope to be tripping over to continent for long weekends, etc. So mixed use - need economy, reliability & good pick up. Thanks for feedback on the Yamaha.
Old 09 June 2005, 21:01   #5

Regarding fuel economy - we use about 1.1 litres per mile (average cruising speed 35 knots), pick up is excellent, it's quite a light engine. Reliability wise we've only had one 'problem' - engine service did not include an impeller change and on a trip out the overheat alarm came on and the engine revs cut back. Got back to base and changed the impeller ourselves.
Old 09 June 2005, 21:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Pike
hope to be tripping over to continent for long weekends, etc.
Make sure you specify a nice big fuel tank!
Old 09 June 2005, 21:33   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
There is an awful lot of happy Optimax owners on this site!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2005, 04:27   #8

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Although i am only really a fan of Merc or Yam engines your "short list" seams sensiable.

If you find yourself condisering the Yam HPDI then i would seriously consider the Optimax aswell - they are often cheaper than HPDI's and are similar technology. I would buy another over a 4 stroke anyday.
Old 10 June 2005, 08:02   #9

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Its difficult to get an unbiased view here as genererally, if someone has gone through the same process as yourself and bought an engine then thats the one they will oviously like as in ours, rogue waves and Daniels case, others will have purchased a second hand package with engine as in louises case. Codprawn is in your shoes still I think.

-------------------------------
My 2 cents

We went through the same list a few months back went selecting a 200hp and included the honda also with the five year warranty.

We opted for the etec as it is quieter compared to the yami and opti and has a better warranty than the suzi which is quiet. the honda may have a reliability issue. fuel consumption between them all will not be that different.

if you can try the engines out first it would i'm sure help narrow your choice.

We have 40 hours up on her in the past month or so and am pleased. If we had opted for one of the other engines I'm sure I would be saying the same.

You pays your money and ....

If down this neck of the woods your more than welcome to try it out.

Shop around and haggle there are fairly large discounts to be got off list Whatever you chose will be the right engine for you and your family
Old 10 June 2005, 20:19   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
why hasn't my name got big letters in front of the word like 'Daniel> has

rogue wave
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2005, 21:04   #11

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens
Its difficult to get an unbiased view here as genererally, if someone has gone through the same process as yourself and bought an engine then thats the one they will oviously like as in ours, rogue waves and Daniels case, others will have purchased a second hand package with engine as in louises case. Codprawn is in your shoes still I think.
No I purchased a Suzuki DT225 efi - last of their 2 strokes - got it at a very good price - would have loved an Evinrude ETEC 250hp but double what the Suzuki cost me!!!
Old 12 June 2005, 05:24   #12

Thanks for info

Just wanted to say thanks for all your helpful comments. Have decided to go 2 stroke. Getting quotes on Yami &
E-tec.

Jeff
Old 13 June 2005, 12:56   #13

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Good on you Jeff 2-stroke all the way!!

If you get quotes for a Yami try these guys I mentioned in another thread HYDROTEC MARINE you may find that their prices (including tarnsport, tax and VAT) are a lot less than what you get in Europe
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2005, 00:09   #14

We used the 250 DI last year for charter, used it for 250 hours. The main bracket broke on two engines, the engine rubbermounting broke, the tilttube broke, and the gear broke. We had to change the sparks twice as often as the comersal claimed. We had to by 400 l. of 2-stroke oil. That was two barrels. One thing is that it costs money, but we also hat to fill up our 8 l. tanks every second time we used the boat.
We also have a 225 four-stroke Yamaha. It has more than 500 hours on it, and no problem what so ever, Not even changed the sparks!
We sold the Rudes and bought two 250hp Suzuki. They do have more weight and maybe one or two knots slower, but to us it is more important to have a troubblefree engine, and also less noice.
We have not tried the E-Tech, so that might be another ballgame. But it still uses more plugs and oil.
The 200Hpdi is probably a good engine, but the 300 HPDI was a disaster last year, and the Yamaha - people did not help all thei customers. Ask Petrov!
He, by the way is also opting for Suzuki, about the same experience as we have with our 4-stroke Yamaha. He is running something like four Suzuki 250hp.
Old 16 June 2005, 20:37   #15

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
I have just replaced my two 200 yams 2t 1994 carb vintage with 250's HPDI.
I had a relative good quote via codders on the suzuki 200's - but the 250,s price from yamaha came out cheaper with a 15% discount. ( 12000 euros/engine.excl vat)- pair counter-rotating and this excluded any allowance for the existing engine. I am going into the atlantic shortly with these engines and need to rely 100% on them. The main advantages

- a lot of low rev torque ( these are 2t effi's)
- good fuel ecomomy some- 30 liters/hr/ engine at 2000 revs
- abundance of spares everywhere ( suzukis dont seem to have a good
network)
- a good warranty

But it is really a matter of opinion. People will tell you that Yams are the best, some will say Honda /Suzuki.i dont think there are any 'bad' engines anymore and prices are not all that different. The main resaon I am sticking with Yams is also the installation is already for yams and very little work was required to change the engines. The only real change was the black box for the effi system.

jonathan