Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
Some bloke did a similar thing a few years ago. Got shot to pieces on this forum as I remember. Now all seem keen to find out more

Just went through the whole thread SR and the only similarities between the two threads is both OBs originated in China.
We never got to see a meaningful test of the OB that you bought, which despite what you may think, some were actually interested in. Your thread would have been more useful and informative if you would have actually used it on a sib as chipko has used his.

A point you made in your thread rings very true -

"I believe that in time they get it right. I remember when motorbikes from a certain country were referred to as Jap Crap.... Look at them now"

I think that time is very, very close.
Old 27 September 2023, 04:28   #23

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I think at 75% of a mainstream motor cost I'd swerve one of these... but at 50% or less then I'd have an open mind.

Chipko's so far trouble free test has been far more rigorous than most. 70hrs could be 7yrs use for some portables on SIBs.
Well the price of chipkos one seems to be nearer to 35% the cost of new so when are you getting one 💁
Old 27 September 2023, 04:29   #24

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Just went through the whole thread SR and the only similarities between the two threads is both OBs originated in China.
We never got to see a meaningful test of the OB that you bought, which despite what you may think, some were actually interested in. Your thread would have been more useful and informative if you would have actually used it on a sib as chipko has used his.

"I believe that in time they get it right. I remember when motorbikes from a certain country were referred to as Jap Crap.... Look at them now"

that last sentence is very true .where do folk suppose most of the components of probably 95% or more of machinery and mechanical equipment manufactured ( or should i say assembled in the uk comes from) china is without doubt the worlds leading manufacturer of just about everything.
Old 27 September 2023, 04:30   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post

There may have been a reason It was never posted about it in use ��
Old 27 September 2023, 06:06   #26

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
Some bloke did a similar thing a few years ago. Got shot to pieces on this forum as I remember. Now all seem keen to find out more
In fairness that bloke was (and probably still is) a bit of an unpleasant (to use a diplomatic word) individual.

His posts were designed to attract incoming fire and hence anything useful was lost in the noise.
Old 27 September 2023, 07:24   #27

Chipko, how would you compare the build quality of this 15hp outboard with the 8hp Orca you had?
Old 27 September 2023, 07:44   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
In fairness that bloke was (and probably still is) a bit of an unpleasant (to use a diplomatic word) individual.

His posts were designed to attract incoming fire and hence anything useful was lost in the noise.
Interesting view from someone who does not know that person at all. I am sure you are lovely
Old 27 September 2023, 07:59   #29

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Steve, I’d say the little Orca was better quality, visually at least, although only ran it for under 10 hours. It also came with a 3 year warranty from a UK ‘bricks and mortar’ company with service and repair facilities.
Old 27 September 2023, 08:38   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
It also came with a 3 year warranty from a UK ‘bricks and mortar’ company with service and repair facilities.
I think that will make the difference for a lot of people who, for whatever reason, need to go down the cheaper route.

Although it has dubious legal and environmental credentials, I'd never say never to a new 2 stroke in the future. Power to weight ratio being the driver for me as age and health take there toll, fortunately not there yet!
Old 27 September 2023, 09:10   #31

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>> as age and health take there toll

I think I said at the start of my all too brief Johnson 15 period that I'd gone for it as the neck/shoulder eased off from a previous period where 36kg was unwise but 26kg OK... to now where 34kg was OK and 26kg easy.

But the enhanced level of handling during the servicing, incident outing and dismantling period have left me pondering whether its best to keep a good bit in hand while heading to my 70s with the light 9.8 rather than cast my eye over further 15hp 2-stroke possibilities.

Hopefully one day next week will give us a longer period out with the re-propped 9.8 to decide if that's where we should stick.

Were I buying a new 2-stroke I'd be very attracted to the Tohatsu 15 which is almost £800 cheaper than the Mercury 15 2-stroke. The only nuisance is the Tohatsu is built on the leg of the 18 so weighs 41kg... closing in on the Efi 20hp motors. The Mercury 15 2-stroke is a useful saving at 35kg.

Always good to have choice though.
Old 27 September 2023, 19:34   #32

Quote:
Were I buying a new 2-stroke I'd be very attracted to the Tohatsu 15 which is almost £800 cheaper than the Mercury 15 2-stroke. The only nuisance is the Tohatsu is built on the leg of the 18 so weighs 41kg... closing in on the Efi 20hp motors. The Mercury 15 2-stroke is a useful saving at 35kg.

Always good to have choice though.
When or if the time comes to lighten the load, I don't think the Tohatsu 15hp 2s would come into the equation at 41kg. If I'm finding the 47kg of the Merc 20hp efi to heavy to handle, I don't think dropping down to 41kg would be much of a help. However, the Merc 15 2s at 35kg is a different matter.
Old 28 September 2023, 07:21   #33

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Quote:
>>
Were I buying a new 2-stroke I'd be very attracted to the Tohatsu 15 which is almost £800 cheaper than the Mercury 15 2-stroke.

Isn’t the Tohatsu 18 the same block and weight, boasting an extra 50cc from larger bore.

Mr F, I seem to recall you’ve owned both the Mercury and Yamaha 15 two strokes in the past. Similar weight and price, interested to hear if you’d recommend one over the other.
Old 28 September 2023, 09:00   #34
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:

Chipko's so far trouble free test has been far more rigorous than most. 70hrs could be 7yrs use for some portables on SIBs.
I suspect at 7 years corrosion is going to be far more of an issue than hours.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2023, 09:27   #35

>>Tohatsu 18 the same block and weight, boasting an extra 50cc from larger bore.

Yep it was just when I looked recently at the world of commercial outboards I saw the Tohatsu 18 around £2700, the Mercury 15 almost £3000 but the Tohatsu 15 at £2200 so it seemed great value if you were ok with the weight.

Yes in 2-strokes I've owned Yamaha 15, Mercury 15, Mercury 10 and also the silver hood Mariner 15. They were all 35 or 36kg depending which source spec you were reading and they all started/ran so similarly.

Just personal preference really on small details such as tilt mechanism, choke operation etc. However biggest difference is the Mercury gear change on throttle arrangement which you may or may not like. I never had problems using it but once when I had a fuel issue I needed to rev the engine at sea to clear it... you can't do this without it going into gear first so you have to take the hood off and rev up from the carb linkage. I've also borrowed one where this setup was poorly adjusted so it didn't easily come out of forward... and helped a guy at the pontoon with similar issues.

The Tohatsu 15/18 don't have this they just use the usual lever on the side of the OB. Probably my preference is for the front mounted gear lever like the Yamaha or ill fated Johnson.

There was no doubt Yamaha had gone to more trouble with the visible build quality compared to Mercury (or Tohatsu)... under the cowl in particular... but it made no difference to reliability or performance in my time with these motors.
Old 05 October 2023, 19:05   #36

Town: Grimsby
Boat name: Honda
Make: Honda marine
Engine: Outboard
I would like to add i have used a Parsun 2 stroke 15hp for the last 2 years with no problems whatsoever. I got sick and tired of ploughing lots of money into second hand outboards only for them to be unreliable. The Parsun starts easily is lightweight at 36kg and is a clone of the Yamaha Enduro, Parts are easy to get either parsun or yamaha, I have used it almost exclusively in salt water and it has zero corrosion. The dealer also allows home servicing, this was a big selling point for me as to keep a 5 year warranry on a name brand small outboard you are looking at nearly 50 % of the purchase price.
It pushes my T38 at nearly 19 knots with 2 people and 14 with the family. I i really think the 2s 15hp is the sweetspot for most SIBS.
Used it today in the Humber started second pull if it explodes i will update.you all!.

Matt
Old 05 October 2023, 20:20   #37

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt73 View Post
.. i have used a Parsun 2 stroke 15hp
I have a mate who calls them "Parts'in" outboards, due to the hassle he's had.
Old 05 October 2023, 22:38   #38

>>I i really think the 2s 15hp is the sweetspot for most SIBS.\

I certainly agree for light 3.4-3.8m air floor models.
Old 06 October 2023, 07:00   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
I have a mate who calls them "Parts'in" outboards, due to the hassle he's had.

What model is it do you know ? 2 or 4 stroke
Old 06 October 2023, 07:04   #40

Out of interest what make is tour Yamaha clone., atr you prepared to say what it cost in total import duty VAT etc.

Thanks Matt