Old 05 December 2015, 13:54   #1

Charging battery from outboard

I've got a 2010 Tohatsu MFS 20C 4 stroke outboard engine.
It's a basic pull start model.
I would like to charge my battery from the engine.
Just wondering, does anyone know what's required mechanically and the rough cost involved.
Ultimately is it worth the hassle or do I buy another battery as back up.
Cheers
Old 05 December 2015, 14:17   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
I've got a 2010 Tohatsu MFS 20C 4 stroke outboard engine.
It's a basic pull start model.
I would like to charge my battery from the engine.
Just wondering, does anyone know what's required mechanically and the rough cost involved.
Ultimately is it worth the hassle or do I buy another battery as back up.
Cheers
As said Kaman your engine has an alternator all you need is a charging kit which will be a rectifier/regulator wiring loom (fused) takes about 20 mins to fit you just need a twin cable to the battery then put a volt meter in circuit so you can see the voltage across the battery whilst engine stood also you will see it rise when you start the engine so as you drift for long periods and you get low voltage warning on the plotter just start her up on tick over or go trolling, best option really other than that a larger battery deep cycle same as caravan batteries slow release over longer periods. Cost wise you would be looking at £120 tops Suzuki prices tohatsu I would say a bit cheaper, changing the battery would be not far off same cost I would think. the bueaty is if you can charge the battery any length of holiday sorted.

Cheers
Old 05 December 2015, 23:59   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Kaman - what Jeff says. You should already have an alternator but its probably unrectified (AC only) on the pull start model. You therefore need a rectifier/regulator. The official part is probably £100-150 ish and simple to fit. If you can be bothered with some reasearch, ingenuity fitting it etc, then probably a motorbike part can be made to do the same job for less than 1/5th of the price!
Old 06 December 2015, 16:44   #4

If you try hard enough you will find a bike regulator for under £5 and a solar charge controller to regulate the volts for similar. If it costs more than £15 including wires you just aren't trying hard enough...
Old 06 December 2015, 17:33   #5

I'm liking the sounds of fitting a cheap motorbike rectifier to have free electricity on tap in my Sib.
You will need to pardon my ignorance guys but ain't got a clue how to go about wiring it in and how to ascertain if it's compatible?
I will tackle most jobs DIY but don't know nowt about electric circuits.
Had a look thru my engine manual but no further forward.
What am I looking for under the cowl and where do I go from there.
Old 06 December 2015, 17:55   #6

RIBase
Not knocking the motor bike stuff and if you know what your doing spot on but in your case Kaman with limited knowledge you would first be better pricing the correct bits to see if in budget if it is you'll be sorted in a couple of days if not try the bike route but you need to be sure.i went Suzuki for ease and warranty the rectifiers are quite large including the heat sink needing a bespoke bracket and the correct connectors if like mine it will have alternator connections ready to couple to might be difficult to match to. OMO

Cheers
Old 06 December 2015, 18:18   #7

Oh rest assured if the harness is cheap that's the way to go.

But if its not then you've got probably 2 wires (maybe 3) from the alternator to connect via a fuse to a rectifier and then to a regulator and in to the battery & supply.

I don't know the engine. So someone who does can hopefully point right direction there. Beyond that I'm sure the rib.net improvement committee can draw a wiring diagram on a beer mat for you to follow...

My only debate would be do you rectify on the engine like the harness would or feed AC from the engine and rectify near the battery where you may have space /freedom in an enclosure to do as you wish...
Old 08 December 2015, 14:03   #8

I made some enquiries with Clyde Outboards regarding my electrical dilemma.
Guy I spoke to was brand new and completely honest with me when I described my needs.
He turned down the opportunity to sell me an outboard charging kit to allow me to charge my battery in my Sib from the outboard.

He said it was not the best option for my needs.
Instead he recommended utilising my current batteries and purchasing an XS power pack to recharge my plotter, hand held VHF and run my fish finder over my away days.

They XS pack cost around 100 squid and I can think of other applications I could use them in - small compact and even capable of jump starting a large 4x4. It comes with a host of leads etc and it can fit in your pocket.

Apparently they are quickly becoming must have items amongst the boating / camping community in and around Loch Lomond.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-M...701?nav=SEARCH[/QUOTE]
Old 08 December 2015, 16:00   #9

RIBase
Says it all, new and doesn't know and by all accounts not interested in finding out, not looked at the charger in detail but won't that be charging with something that wants charging?
I bet if you phone tohatsu uk with all info from your engine they will give you part numbers and cost.then just buy and fit no more probs but your choice.

Cheers
Old 08 December 2015, 16:19   #10

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Cesa
Length: no boat
Jeff, think you might be misunderstanding Kaman's way of using describing the salesman as 'brand new' ! 😃

Clyde Outboards only give good honest experienced advice based on info rcvd from customer. I suspect the turning down of a potential sales was based on honesty rather than laziness.

As you say, it's Kaman's choice if he feels it'd work better for him all round.
Old 08 December 2015, 16:32   #11

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Charging battery from outboard

Jump starting a car engine?

That's pretty impressive if it can.

Let us know how you get on.
Old 08 December 2015, 17:01   #12

Hi.
Being from SW Scotland my meaning of brand new is - "decent".
Didn't mean "new in the job".
Chap was happy to assist in me in acquiring the parts for the outboard and sounded knowledgeable about the process.
Wasn't in a rush to hang up eithers.
After explaining my requirements ie enough power to last a 3 or 4 days in the wild, camping fishing etc he suggested the power pack as I already have several other batteries.
I've not made my mind up as of yet but the independent reviews certainly sound good.
There is youtube videos of it jump starting a freelander.
His suggestion was to run the fishfinder, charge the plotter and my mobile phone as well as the handheld vhf from the power pack.
Use my 20ah for my fixed VHF and keep my 2 x 7 ah as spares should I require them.
The beauty of the power pack idea is that it can be used for many other applications not to mention jump starting a car!
Old 08 December 2015, 17:03   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotwillie View Post
Jeff, think you might be misunderstanding Kaman's way of using describing the salesman as 'brand new' ! 😃

Clyde Outboards only give good honest experienced advice based on info rcvd from customer. I suspect the turning down of a potential sales was based on honesty rather than laziness.

As you say, it's Kaman's choice if he feels it'd work better for him all round.
Willie

I might be and don't doubt they are very good,but charging with something that needs charging? Able to start a 4x4 650 cranking amps? He has power on tap with the charging coil and if other equipment needs charging (hand held vhf)can be done off a cigar socket take off as can other stuff.also taking batteries out to charge at night when finished a pain don't know what the charge rate is but his coil will chuck 12amps @ 14 volts more than capable since it's designed to cope with electric start models also running electronics.OMO but hope he gets sorted.

Cheers
Old 08 December 2015, 17:08   #14

RIBase
My apologies for the miss interpretation Kaman.

Cheers
Old 08 December 2015, 17:30   #15

Well I spent half my life in Glasgae and still misinterpreted Kamans 'Brand New'... Bringing back memories of the lingo now.

However, I'd still be wanting to use the alternator. Do you trail or inflate? Trail you need to secure all those batteries, inflate you are adding to setup time.

If I had a spare £250 I'd fit both. If I had £100 I'd take the motorbike parts...

Think poly runs his engine from a cheaper version (charges from engine, supplies whatever electrics he has from it).
Old 08 December 2015, 17:52   #16

I trail the sib.
Only lasted one year before I built a trailer for it.
Batteries are stowed and secured in the bow box out if sight and take up very little room one they ard strapped in.
They actually help planing by adding bow ballast.
In relation to the weight of other supplies that normally accompany my overnight jaunts my 2 x 7 ah and 1 x 20 ah battery don't weight that much.
Less than a slab of beer lol!
I'm probably only going to keep my Sib another year or two before upgrading it to something bigger .
Battery pack might be a short term solution as I will require a larger outboard for my Sibs replacement.
Will definitely be getting an outboard with charging capabilities as standard next time around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1449600537543.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	109978   Click image for larger version

Name:	1449600603355.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	109979  
Old 08 December 2015, 17:58   #17

So if there is a future upgrade... You can charge battery pack off it. FYI those packs don't usually let you charge and consume power at same time.

But if upgrading do u need the pack in the new world? Cheap n cheery sounding all the better for 2016 to me...
Old 08 December 2015, 18:32   #18

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
So if there is a future upgrade... You can charge battery pack off it. FYI those packs don't usually let you charge and consume power at same time.

But if upgrading do u need the pack in the new world? Cheap n cheery sounding all the better for 2016 to me...
Agreed, looking at the parts tohatsu site they look very motor bike ish plus enough tech info to source so as shiny says could be done for a few quid,the charging coils around £45 if needed but dought it.
Or get 100amp hour deep cycle battery that will last a week?
Or dual cycle will start your car if required too.
Old 08 December 2015, 19:48   #19

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Cesa
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Willie

I might be and don't doubt they are very good,but charging with something that needs charging? Able to start a 4x4 650 cranking amps? He has power on tap with the charging coil and if other equipment needs charging (hand held vhf)can be done off a cigar socket take off as can other stuff.also taking batteries out to charge at night when finished a pain don't know what the charge rate is but his coil will chuck 12amps @ 14 volts more than capable since it's designed to cope with electric start models also running electronics.OMO but hope he gets sorted.

Cheers

Jeff, totally agree with all you've said.

Just not with your poor comment of Clyde Outboards (although you may have your reasons for this and that's your business) but was hoping it came from the simple misunderstanding I highlighted. I see Kaman has cleared this up also. IMO they're all 'brand new' that work there, but that would be for another thread !

I personally would also rather be charging up something electrical from a mechanical source giving good redundancy.
Old 08 December 2015, 21:11   #20
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Think poly runs his engine from a cheaper version (charges from engine, supplies whatever electrics he has from it).

I used to. A 30-40 quid power pack, but they just have a 21Ah battery inside. It's a convenient way to do it as it comes with cables, switches, 12v socket, voltage reading etc.

It's "properly" wired in now.

Quote:
FYI those packs don't usually let you charge and consume power at same time..
Eh?