Old 09 December 2015, 16:30   #31

I think the technical discussions on here have sealed the deal for me chaps.
The rectifier / regulator route sounds I bit too technical (for me).
I'd be bricking it in case my handy work resulted in blowng up my battery, frying the electrics or knackering my outboard.
I think a deep cycle leisure battery will be the order of the day.
I'll make a little storage compartment in the bow box and run a cable to my vhf.
I can charge it in situ when I get home without having to remove it.
Keeping it very simple........
Another point to consider is my outboard is on and off the transom and in and out of my car boot when under tow.
Also adding a cable to the outboard to charge the battery slightly complicates removal / installation - not a major issue tho.
A mechanical failure of the outboard is going to result in a trip being cut short as my auxiliary won't be able to charge up my battery.
I'll carry enough juice in my battery assortment to last my 3-4 day trip or scale back if it's only a day trip.
When I say farewell to the Sib I'll be sure to buy a set up that is ready sorted with capability to charge a battery tho

Old 09 December 2015, 19:26   #32
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Kaman, if you take the engine off each time I think you are probably making the best decision. Might be worth thinking about how 9d280 charged his from vehicle electrics when towing - might just extend your range?
Old 10 December 2015, 02:56   #33

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
I think the technical discussions on here have sealed the deal for me chaps.
The rectifier / regulator route sounds I bit too technical (for me).
I'd be bricking it in case my handy work resulted in blowng up my battery, frying the electrics or knackering my outboard.
I think a deep cycle leisure battery will be the order of the day.
I'll make a little storage compartment in the bow box and run a cable to my vhf.
I can charge it in situ when I get home without having to remove it.
Keeping it very simple........
Another point to consider is my outboard is on and off the transom and in and out of my car boot when under tow.
Also adding a cable to the outboard to charge the battery slightly complicates removal / installation - not a major issue tho.
A mechanical failure of the outboard is going to result in a trip being cut short as my auxiliary won't be able to charge up my battery.
I'll carry enough juice in my battery assortment to last my 3-4 day trip or scale back if it's only a day trip.
When I say farewell to the Sib I'll be sure to buy a set up that is ready sorted with capability to charge a battery tho
Hi Kaman

I know it seems a bit technical but don't over think the fitting of the charging kit it is so easy my missus could do it, if you pm me your address I will copy the fitting instructions that came with my kit for you to have a gander at before you make your final decision.

Cheers
Old 10 December 2015, 08:40   #34

Cheers Jeff.
PM sent.
Old 11 December 2015, 06:40   #35

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Kaman, if you take the engine off each time I think you are probably making the best decision. Might be worth thinking about how 9d280 charged his from vehicle electrics when towing - might just extend your range?
Simples. (even more simple if you ghave an old school "N&S" pair of sockets......

I have a 13 pin socket, so on the trailer I put a breakout box with a 2 pin Bulgin Buccaneer socket (submersion proof). Wired the socket to the Caravan battery charge pins and then ran a lead to the console using another Buccaneer plug / socket, esentially treating the boat battery like a caravan battery. I just remove the lead before launch in the way you would the lighting board.

If you have the old twin 7 pin sockets it's even easier as your charging circuit is o nthe "white lid" plug, so it's literally a case of 23S plug one end, and something suitable to connect to the boat at the other.

If, however, you have a single 7 pin you'll need to retro - fit a white one alongside. (if you need, I have a spare split charge relay lying in a box in my garage - could probably hand it to you if you are in the Glasgow area!)

No worries about fuses as that should be done by the car.