Old 02 October 2006, 21:30   #1

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
Centre mounted controls

Hi guys

It has just come to my attention that centre mounted controls usually do not have a lock on them.

Why not?

Surely a little dangerous with kids on board?

Has anyone come across contre mounted controls with locks?

rgds
Old 02 October 2006, 22:03   #2

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Hi

My centre mounted lever does not have a lock as such, but does have a very definate neutral position.

I have it partly because of the kids, so when they, or even inexperianced adult friends, are driving I can reach the lever at all times with it being positioned between the twin jockey seats. And both of my kids do drive my RIB quite often.

I have to say though, with no disrespect meant, that boats and 200HP engines are a serious piece of kit, where kids should be supervised closely at all times particularly when the engine is running. My kids have been brought up to respect it for the extremly fun, but dangerous thing it is, and even at 9 and 7 years old have a good understanding of their responsibilities on board.

If I didn't think I could be fully responsible or prepared for their actions on board they just wouldn't be there, a neutral switch is no substitute.

Rant Over

Nasher.
Old 02 October 2006, 22:29   #3

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
It is a potentially dangerous thing

kids are kids and they make mistakes, get over enthusiastic in the heat of the moment and that lever could easily get bumped - leading to a disaster. I am picking up a new rib shortly with a center mount control and no lock on nuetral, even the boat builder is at loss as to why they don't do it.Telling kids is not enough if it was, car journeys would be a breeze.....

On another boat I use with morse controls,the accidental bumping of the levers is much less likely (and never enters my head) as the space is much greater around the boat and although still capable of 30kts all movements are smooth, this is the market these controls I think are aimed at. kids just don't need to be anywhere near them. a rib is a different proposition both in speed and space.

It's not about being aware of the dangers both my kids at 7 and 12 have been around boats all there lives with the dangers constantly being made aware to them but they are still kids.
Old 02 October 2006, 22:44   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I agree with Nasher - it takes quite an effort to push the throttle forward and into gear - also the kill switch should be worn by someone responsible at all times - all it takes is a quick yank!!!
Old 02 October 2006, 23:00   #5

On seeing this particular function missing on the control,(as a test) I asked my 7 yo to walk across the rib to get me something,he turned his back to the consol leaned towards the pods to get under the wheel straightened up after the wheel and knocked the lever forward......

Your right about the kill switch, but I also think that by the time it works the damage could already be done.

After using all three types I think they are designed to be on a flat surface and rib manufacturers understandably make do with whats available.
Old 02 October 2006, 23:12   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I agree with IBWET. But it's not just a risk for children, adults can do it too. A good few years ago, as a passenger, I knocked a central throttle control to pretty much full on by accident. Fortunately everyone stayed aboard. My loose cuff of a big ribby jacket just caught the top of the lever. Lesson learned. The engine was in gear so the lock wouldn't have made a difference. However, the control didn't have a lock and a similar accident could easily have happened with the boat stationary and with no one at the helm. In that case folk aboard may well fall over and the boat could easily be off without control for a considerable length of time.

I know some folk feel there are advantages but I feel a central control is an event waiting to happen, to the extent that I chose to mount my throttle for lefthand use rather than mount it in the centre. Prior to this I only ever had a righthand throttle. I didn't take long to readjust to normal usage on the left but it took ages for an emergency action to be retrained to my lefthand.
Old 02 October 2006, 23:40   #7

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher
I have to say though, with no disrespect meant, that boats and 200HP engines are a serious piece of kit, where kids should be supervised closely at all times particularly when the engine is running. My kids have been brought up to respect it for the extremly fun, but dangerous thing it is, and even at 9 and 7 years old have a good understanding of their responsibilities on board.

If I didn't think I could be fully responsible or prepared for their actions on board they just wouldn't be there, a neutral switch is no substitute.
Totally agree. Much the same can be said of kids and firearms, or kids and motorbikes. Kids brought up from an early age handling such things tend to grow up with a balanced, safe and sensible view of the things, and tend not to have accidents in later life because if it is drummed into you at that age it sticks. If I pick a gun up I always check it's unloaded, same as I did when I was carrying Dad's gun for him aged about 7.
Old 03 October 2006, 07:53   #8

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
Totally with Nasher on this. My central control doesn't have a lock but has a real obvious neutral position and the fact that it is positioned between two side by side jockeys means that there are always two that can get hands to it. Both my (qualified) children drive but I still like to be there to ensure that nothing happens and as yet (touch wood) we have had no issues. I wouldn't like to relaying instructions to a helm that has the throttle on the side and waiting for them to respond!
Old 03 October 2006, 08:22   #9

I think it should be in the middle only with a lock.
Old 03 October 2006, 11:20   #10

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
My unit is mounted on a 45 deg surface on top of the console, where admittedly it would be hard to bump into, and being genuine Suzuki it does require a heavy push to get into gear.

However I stand by my comments regarding the kids.
Stephen, your analogy with Guns is a good one, Engine running/loaded gun you have great fun with both of them whilst still having the greatest respect for them. When the boat is anchored with the engine off, it’s different.

OK, Hands up who wouldn’t want me as a Father.

Nasher
Old 03 October 2006, 11:58   #11

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
while some great comments have been made i do wish my top binnacle mount throttle had a positive locked neutral.

reason for this is we can take all the best care in the world, tell out kids what to do etc etc wear killcords, keep an eye on it etc etc but all it takes is an unforseen accident with someone falling against it or some strange incident where it gets pushed into gear or reverse by accident.

i tend to turn mine off rather than leave it running

if i could have paid 50 or 100 quid to have had the same but with a neutral lock then that would have been money well spent in my book
Old 03 October 2006, 12:09   #12

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
TELEFLEX Morse Controls have one

Think Doug from Stormforce has one on his Leeway best to ask him.
Quite a few school boats have center mount throttles have not heard of any negative comments about them yet by those that use them.
Old 03 October 2006, 13:15   #13

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I think people may have missed the point here - I don't think kids should wear a kill cord - it should be the adult in charge!!! Unless of course the kid is driving solo.
Old 03 October 2006, 13:38   #14

Town: knebworth
Boat name: phoenix
Make: xs
Engine: 115 opti
Send a message via MSN to mark-f Send a message via Skype™ to mark-f
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin
TELEFLEX Morse Controls have one

Think Doug from Stormforce has one on his Leeway best to ask him.
Quite a few school boats have center mount throttles have not heard of any negative comments about them yet by those that use them.
Hi tim,

Yep I have come across a few schools where they fit this type of control, and one that I know of has changed back to a side mounted solution as they said they found that students tended to "pull down" through netural and into reverse thus knackering the gearbox eventually.

On My rib I have a 115 Opti with surface mount and was told if I replace the remote before the warrentee expires I will have trouble should I have to claim.

and Just for Codders I have the remotes mounted on a double console and I have fitted two kill cords, one for the driver and when I'm teaching one on the passenger side for me, as I think if someone is old enough to drive a RIB they are old enough to do it safely and get in the habbit of wearing a Kill cord from day 1.

Mark
Old 03 October 2006, 20:07   #15

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher
However I stand by my comments regarding the kids.
Stephen, your analogy with Guns is a good one, Engine running/loaded gun you have great fun with both of them whilst still having the greatest respect for them.
And if you screw around with them and don't respect them, either can and will kill you pretty damn quick!
Old 08 October 2006, 21:27   #16

Interesting opinions so far

Yes i agree a 200hp engine is not something to let kids play with and it is precisely because it can be dangerous that i am keen to investigate the centre mounted lockable option.

Whilst my children are very respectful of the situation I cannot leglislate for visitors or my self accidentially hitting into the controls.

I am currently thinking of upgrading to a 300hp and have found the lock on my existing to be very useful.

Any suggestions of a centre mounted option that would work with a Suzuki 300 would be appreciated.
Old 09 October 2006, 08:27   #17

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Tims right there is one and Aqua Marine have it on display in there warehouse in Hedge End.

http://www.aqua-marineint.com/site/eshop/home

Pete
Old 09 October 2006, 10:23   #18

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Yup
Its the Teleflex 700 TSLT (power trim & interlock).
Option to add a neutral switch to stop you starting the engine in gear too.

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/docume...002_5_1016.pdf
Old 11 October 2006, 22:12   #19

Teflex controls

Mark Many thanks.

Does anyone know if they will work with the nes suzuki 300?

thks