Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 08 May 2018, 15:28   #1

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
Carburettor bowl seal solution

I often make my own cork or rubber carb etc. . gaskets but I've now started to use large O ring seals for recessed carb bowls as many I want are unavailable unless order from the states, it's a case of finding the right thickness and size of O ring seal to use, with patience the results are as good as an original seal and none have failed yet, first clean the bowl and carb base to new condition, (most importantly the seal grove) then seat your cut O ring in the grove (all parts must be DRY) then slightly stretch it over the other cut end (about 2-3mm) then cut it (with a scalpel) if you have done it right it will then snap back and join the other end perfectly, to finish remove the seal and apply thin layer of instant gasket on the seal and both carb parts (in the groves) This method works very well and you will get a 100% seal if done right, it is a one use seal though, if you have to remove the bowl again you will need to make a new seal all over. Can be tricky and take a while but it may be your only option in an emergency, for unavailable seals or like me if you don't want to pay over the top prices because the seal is becoming rare!

[ATTACH]124633
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6876.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	124633