Ok got it to run for about a minute today NO LEAKS
Now for a carb rebuild ahaaaa i can do this bit
numbers on carb are
serial 9037392
1364-4929-
5193-A1
BA2A4

Any one know if these kits are avaible still or not

Also out fell a little black barrell shaped bit with two wings on and a hole at 90 degrees to the main... does anyone know what this bit is / does and where does it actually sit because it was just sort of floating behind the air intake motor doesn`t seem to be getting enough fuel through anyonne also know the basic mixture setting (screw on top right hand side of air intake side) is it full in then two turns back or full out then two turns in
Also looking at air intake end Left hand side with the fuel nozzel on I take it that is the fuel pump under the plate with four screws is it the old fashion BSA motorbike typ that works on the diaphram "wobbling" to suck fuel ??
Sorry to be a pain

PS uncle AL it was the exaust gaskets cheers
Old 12 July 2009, 20:34   #2

Town: Surrey
Length: no boat
Hello there , that is KNOWN as the VENTURI . Correct me if this is a little black plastic bit with a hole in the middle of it with two little wings on either side . Ok the little hole on it fits up againsts the HIGH SPPED VENTURI TUBE in the carb . If you ope the butterfly up on the carb you will see a little bit of the tube stick thru this bit fits on there and you will see on either side if the carb ( still in the same place were the bit fits ) on either side there are two grooves and the little wing bit slot in there . I have known and seen these been sucked thru into the reed valve area and cause some probs . hope this makes sense . baz
Old 12 July 2009, 20:51   #3

Length: 3m +
Engine: mercury200 20hp
Nice one cheers for that that is exactly the bit I`m on about
So that would then explain why it wont run very well or long then it seems to have a fuel starvation problem.
Am i right in thinking that the fuel tanks presurize them selves during use ( i lent my tank out so im using a jerry can and a dipped pipe FOR TESTING [no even I`m not stupid enough to set out like that]) if so my dipped pipe wont aloow enough fuel up will it or not???

strange things outboards suprising just how much you learn VERY quickly
Old 12 July 2009, 21:19   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenF View Post
Am i right in thinking that the fuel tanks presurize them selves during use
No,the fuel is pumped out by the pump on the carb.

Don't forget to open the vent on the tank.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2009, 21:50   #5

k so my dipped pipe will work for testing then
been a long time since i set a tank up lol its normally done by the time i get to the boat with the gear
but without the venturi in would that cause the engine to starve or have i got to look deeper (like rebuild the carb and pump with new seals etc the old ones seem ok but ??????)
Old 13 July 2009, 08:50   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenF View Post
Also out fell ......
I would suggest if bits are falling out you might want to fully dismantle it & make sure there are no other loose components in there! If something solid gets sooked into the crankcase you really will have a pile of scrap on your transom!

Not sure from the other posts if you have found the serial number yet, but you may find an exploded diagram here
http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/jsp...=&eCatSupFldr=

Just be aware they are Amercian, and i've found with my Clamshell that even the supposedly European 9xxxxx serial numbers don't always match up. Having said that, if you find an exploded pic of your carb, you'll have enough to allow you to reassemble it correctly. Just be aware that ordering jets etc with the wrong part number will trash your air - fuel mix & it'll never run. Best bet is dismantle, clean & rebuild (with new gaskkets). Alsdo I noticed on your other post you said you ran it "hee-e-eavy oil mix". dare I ask how heavy? Remmeber the idle venturis are miniscule - designed to pass mostly fuel, not relativeley thick oil.......

If it's being starved of fuel also check out the fuel pump diaphragm.

As for the tiller, have a crawl up & down the engine sizes - you'd be surprised just how many engine Horsepowers of a similar age will share large parts like a tiller.
Old 13 July 2009, 09:14   #7

Excellent cheers for that I been looking everywhere for that and couldnt find it
MANY hugs and kisses to younow i can get her going properly
Old 15 July 2009, 21:59   #8

9d280
Running it at 40/1 instead of 50/1
cleaned it all out and rebuilt it all jets are clear and free but still wont run without a freindly blow of fuel into the air intake then cuts out after various ammounts of time from 30 seconds to three minutes but have NO thottle control over it
Those exploded diagrams are just what i needed cheers
(aint got one for setting one up have you)
as for the tiller appently ANY blue band upto 50hp will fit but thats only what I`m told just wondering if any one had an old blueband lurking about growing weeds anywhere