Old 10 December 2008, 12:26   #1

Boat name: "can"
Make: Joker Boat
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp e-tec
Capsized first aid..

Hi all,
I was using my dad's sib when this nasty gust came from nowhere. It took only a sec to flip the boat and i found my self capsized in the middle of nowhere! Anyway i managed to recover everything but i still have 3 more days to go back to city ti service the engine. 4T mercury 9.9

So far i gave the engine a very good wash, drained fuel (water was present), drained engine oil (almost a pint of water came out) and replaced the oil. I gave it a try to see if she is running and engine ran for about 20sec than stalled.

I drained the oil again and the color was like cappuchino! I need some advice about what i can do as a first aid till i drop the engine to service.

Thanks,
Memo
Old 10 December 2008, 12:31   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Water in the bores ? Have you taken the plugs out ? I'm not sure but my guess would be dont try & run it again.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to give more helpful advice.
Old 10 December 2008, 13:21   #3

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Wash it thoroughly with fresh water. Get new oil into it. Drain the carb and any inlet fuel and air pipes. Make sure you've properly cleared the fuel tank of water. Take out the spark plug and crank the engine to get rid of water in the cylinders. I might be worth putting a squirt of engine oil in through the spark plug hole (don't over do it) and get it running as soon as you can. Let it run for a good long while if possible. Check the sump oil again at the end. Replace if necessary.