Old 22 April 2013, 01:59   #11

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
If its a near brand new engine (run then left stored for a few months I would suspect some sort of white powder residue build up in the carb float chamber that's blocked a jet .
I had the same problem with a near new 4 stroke outboard a few years ago that had only been run for about 15 hours , stored then would not start proper ,
After removal of the carb float bowl everything was coated in a fine chalk like powder .

Old 22 April 2013, 04:09   #12

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
This is a great engine and is the same as the Tohatsu and mercury and is under warranty so speak to your dealer. Thats what we are paid for and its part of the service. I am also guessing that it was mail order engine as most dealers will also dem your engine and show you how to look after it it.

Old 26 April 2013, 13:48   #13

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
All sorted now.

It was not an Internet purchase so i do have full local dealer support (just not at 4:55 on a Saturday) so took it back to my dealer this morning. When I collected in Dec it was thoroughly demo'd but not shown running. It had been run in their tank same day as it was PDI'd that morning. I had not realised that it had been run during PDI as it had been cleaned so well - something repeated today.

Very quickly, user error was ruled out as the engine would appear to only run on full choke even in the tank and it simply would not idle. So I left it with dealer to investigate further. Problem traced to fuel starvation in idle function/jets. The exact cause is unknown, but after carb was removed and blown through with airline, it tested perfectly, and again when I collected this afternoon. The issue was believed to a minute piece of debris from the manufacturing process in the idle jet, that has now been blown through. No mention that any other residue/powder had been found on interior or carb.

I was reassured that the engine sitting since December (thought it was Nov when I posted earlier) would have had no bearing on its operation to cause this rare issue.

However, the one thing that I learned from this is that I'm going to keep a spare pair of spark plugs, feeler gauges and fine emery cloth in my tool kit. Not that it would have made any difference this time.

Thanks for all that contributed with ideas. I'm just glad that I decided to start the engine at home before being in the situation where it would have ruined a day or weeks holiday.
Old 27 April 2013, 07:11   #14

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
All sorted now.

I. The issue was believed to a minute piece of debris from the manufacturing process in the idle jet, that has now been blown through. No mention that any other residue/powder had been found on interior or carb.
That's good news & it was not the way you were trying to start it ,

I traced the white powder/ residue in the carb/ float bowl back to the fuel tank connecter ,
Looks like who ever assembled at the factory used too much of the white paste sealant that had also got inside the male connecter (hence it not getting picked up by the Filter/strainer on the pick up pipe in the tank though it must have washed itself through the other filter on the engine then collected in the carb causing the jet to get blocked ,
Just wonder how many other new engines have had this problem .
Old 27 April 2013, 08:08   #15

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
I started it up on the muffs back at home this morning. Choke out, it started first time with the weakest of pulls.

The choke could be pushed back in reasonably soon, but too quick and it got a bit lumpy. Apparently the newer engines run quite weak so choke is normally required when starting from cold.

Surprised how long it ran after I disconnected the fuel tank.
Old 27 April 2013, 12:26   #16

Town: Oakland CA
Glad you're back up and running. Smaller 2-strokes seem to be kind of fiddly with exact procedures; every motor has its own preferences.

jky
Old 27 April 2013, 16:40   #17
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
I cannot get my brand new Mariner 9.9 manual (4 stroke) start to run for more than a few seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Glad you're back up and running. Smaller 2-strokes seem to be kind of fiddly with exact procedures; every motor has its own preferences.

jky
Quote:
LOL.

Apparently, these guys are working strictly off the subject line of the post (from a year and a half ago) and not bothering to read the thread at all.

Do you really want these guys on the water?

jky
Old 27 April 2013, 22:36   #18

Town: Oakland CA
Willk; not sure what you're trying to say. I responded to Ian's post. And to be fair, that comment was about someone asking availability of a year and half old "for sale" post that had a "sold" post in the thread (at least I seem to remember it was.)

jky
Old 28 April 2013, 05:09   #19
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Willk; not sure what you're trying to say. I responded to Ian's post. And to be fair, that comment was about someone asking availability of a year and half old "for sale" post that had a "sold" post in the thread (at least I seem to remember it was.)

jky
I think he was just having a little jest about you responding to a 4 stroke thread with info about 2 strokes!
Old 28 April 2013, 05:46   #20
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I think he was just having a little jest about you responding to a 4 stroke thread with info about 2 strokes!