Old 21 March 2004, 13:22   #1

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
Can you identify this engine?

Hi,
I just bought a 30' RIB at auction from the government in Hawaii. There is little information on the boat, and it will be a few weeks before I can go over and get it ready for the water. I want to find a manual and specs for the engines and wonder if anyone can identify them for me by model number. the only info I have is that they are 6 cylinder turbocharged Iveco marine diesels - can you tell me more from these pictures? Also, the boat has twin Hamilton Jets model 1031 - is there anyone out there who I can talk with about these models? any info would be appreciated.
thanks.
Bryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stan1220342.jpg
Views:	1548
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	4800  
Old 23 March 2004, 16:40   #2

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: D Hollins
Make: pacific 38
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin 212 hp Diesel
Bryan,

I bought a similar rib from the same auction group that you bought that one from. Mine has the same six wheel trailer aswell.

The engines will either be 5.9 litre turbo intercooled 8060 or 8061 Iveco Aifa. Parts are readily available, even after market.

One of the drives on your boat has a bad bearing, again these are readily available, either by going to a bearing dealer or by going to hamilton. Infact if you send me a PM i can put you on to someone who has a complete unit for sale very cheaply. Hamilton are based in New Zealand but have an office in Seattle. (Ph: + 1 206-784-8400). Alternatively you can find them at hamiltonjet.com

goodluck. neville
Old 24 March 2004, 13:56   #3

Hi,
I sent a PM but wanted to be sure you received my reply. Thanks very much for the engine info - very helpful. And I'm very interested in learning more about the used hamilton 1031 that may be for sale, and about the boat/trailer you won at auction. I've attached a side view of the boat I got in Hawaii for your reference. The government is still having trouble naming the manufacturer of the boat from their records - any ideas? I've checked with both Zodiac and Nautica they say it isn't theirs. The hull ID reads 30RB9112. My direct email is sunrider@lisco.com, I look forward to hearing from you and thanks again for the help.
Bryan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	small side view.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	4846  
Old 25 March 2004, 14:35   #4

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
I can not identify the RIB for sure but it might be an Avon. RN boats are marked using a standards numbering system so your boat is a 30’rib made in 1991 and was the 12th boat made that year, this does not mean that there are 12 other boats the same they could be anything.
Who marinized your engine?
Old 25 March 2004, 15:06   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
who is the auction group? Do they have a website - might be worth a look!

Boat does look a bit like an Avon - made just down the road from me!
Old 25 March 2004, 15:19   #6

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
www.govliquidation.com great site for tank spares or maybe a missile or two but nothing about ribs
Old 25 March 2004, 15:26   #7

Bryan,

Your boat should be (!!) a zodiac 920. The deck layout is a bit different from mine, but the engine layout is the same.

A few different ones have been made, Zodiac, Nautica NSW , Willard etc. Also the new NSW is a bit longer. Dont confuse a 30 ft model with a 10 metre model , the 10 metre model Zodiac is quite a bit different from the 9.20.

With reference to the serial number, many builders use this arrangement including Halmatic over here.

As far as I know, i dont recall Avon making one this length, the nearest being the 840.

If you get the engine serial number, then call iveco with it, they will tell you which yard they sold it to. Likewise you can trace builder / vendor through some of the electronics. Probably the trailer aswell but my trailer didnt have a id tag on it.

I got your PM but havent replied to it because I havent found out about drive yet. I generally dont find GL helpful at trying to trace history of lots that i have won, but the people in Hawaii may be different. If you get the NSN or NIIN number or a cage code, the vedor can be easily traced from that.

Neville
Old 25 March 2004, 15:33   #8

Scary des : This is the site that that rib came from. Its quite common knowledge around the surplus dealers in the states.

Ribs come up quite frequently and a P22 sold a couple of weeks ago for less than 2k.

Dealing with these people is a different ball game though. If you want to view it you have to travel half way round the world. Sometimes only american citzens are allowed to bid, sometimes you have to fill in complicated forms, sometimes you can go all the way to the USA and not get in at the security gate (this happened to me once - the marines on the gate were happy to let me in even being a brit, but wouldnt let me in without a USA ss card. After spending nearly 3 days going to the security gate, they finally accepted my UK driving licence and passport. In exchange they gave me a green pass that i could have made up on a photocopier!

Anyway, deals can be good if you can be bothered to siv through the listings every day. Possibly better to try uk groups though.!
Old 25 March 2004, 15:46   #9

Town: Kauai, Hawaii
Boat name: ???
Make: zodiac hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: twin suzuki 140's
bryan, that boat in the picture looks like a 733 hurricane (built by zodiac in canada). Im am about 98% sure all the fabrications and servicing for that boat was done by Joe Lincona. He sevices all the zodiacs in hawaii (military & commercial), very sharp guy, knows his stuff. Pacific Basin Inflatables is his company out here, when i get some time i'll post a pic of the rib he buit for me. Aloha's
Old 25 March 2004, 16:32   #10

Hi,
thanks everyone for the input. I just this moment received news from the Navy that the boat wa built by Nova Marine (Novurania?), in Largo, Florida in 1991. I had previously checked with Zodiac (and Avon), Nautica and Willard but they all said the boat was not one of theirs. I didn't know that Nova had made any of these boats so never thought to check with them. I currently have a Zodiac Hurricane 733 (the one I used for a circumnavigation), an older 23' Hurricane Mark 7 RIB, and a 640 - so I knew it wasn't one of those. But, mystery solved!

Thanks Island8 for the info on Hawaii resources, very helpful. I'll make contact with the person you mention in Hawaii, and look forward to seeing the pictures of your boat. Would enjoy getting together with you when I'm in the islands, if you have time. My hope is to get the boat into some sort of commercial joint venture with one of the Ocean Rafting, dive or parasailing companies, so I can afford to keep it and perhaps do some captain work for a few months during the year. Any suggestions would be appreciated - if I can't find a home for it I may need to resell it.

I've bought several boats and many other marine items through this (GL) and other government sites. I must be lucky, it's always gone very smoothly and have been very pleased with the results. But you really must be careful, and bid according to the tremendous lack of information they provide. This boat in Hawaii was an exception because, through a strange set of coincidences, I was able to learn the full history of the boat and its condition at the time is was surplused (which was good, except for the impeller bearing). Usually, they provide no useful history or information on condition of a boat (or anything else). For most of us that means bidding solely on what is seen online. People living close to an auction site have a distinct advantage because they can inspect the item before bidding - but I don't have that advantage.

Neville, thanks for your efforts and information - I look forward to any news about the jet. I'm familiar with the Zodiac 920, and took a ride on a 1010 at the first RIBEX - fantastic boats, and I would prefer it if mine were a Zodiac. But one advantage to this one is that it can be used for commercial work in the USA - they prohibit any foreign made boat from most passenger and cargo work in the US, so this one can be used commercially while almost all big Zodiacs cannot (as you probably know). I watch GL and GSA daily and didn't see the P22 you mention - what site was it and your trailer on? Also, if I can be of any help in your auction efforts in the US (or those of any other RIBnet member) please let me know. For example, I will be picking up an A Frame in Virginia from GL on April 7th - if there are any lots there you want me to inspect just let me know - glad to do it.

Scare Des - I'm not sure who did the marinization on the engines, and I don't have any number off them yet. But I've emailed the manufacturer to see if they can help.

Thanks again everyone..your help is much appreciated and very valuable. You guys are really the experts - there just isn't much interest in RIBs here and very few people who have your depth of knowledge and experience.
Bryan
Old 25 March 2004, 19:46   #11

Bryan,

Its interesting you found out that it was a Nova. I havent seen mine 'in the flesh' yet , but I thought it was very similar to yours. Im stumped now.

Here is a pic of the Novamarine 9 metre, which looks a similar hull to yours. The deck layout is different but has maybe changed since 1991.

The ivecos should have been marinised by Iveco as they sell them marinised. Mine were marinised by IV as i have got the engine numbers.

The P22 was an early Osbourne (that makes 3 builders of the Pac to all you spotters!) and was in california at i think the sale in Long Beach a couple of weeks ago.

Im still finding out about that drive. Neville.
Old 25 March 2004, 19:52   #12

Novamarine 9 metre
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	novamarineplan.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	4893  
Old 25 March 2004, 20:17   #13

yes, that does look very similar to the Hawaii boat. I'll let you know if I hear anything from Novamarine. and thanks for posting the image - I was going to take an illustration I have of my Hurricane 733, pull the cabin off, and see how it would look on the 30 footer. I'll grab your image and use it as a template..will save a lot of time! thanks again.
bryan
Old 25 March 2004, 20:49   #14

Bryan, Here is that pacific I was on about. http://web.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD
Old 26 March 2004, 00:09   #15

Yes, I remember this one now - didn't have the courage to take it on though, must be getting old!
Bryan
Old 26 March 2004, 04:28   #16

Town: Kauai, Hawaii
Boat name: ???
Make: zodiac hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: twin suzuki 140's
email me at kurtventura@hotmail.com