Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 29 June 2017, 09:05   #1

Town: London
Boat name: Blaster
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF150
Buying used Honda BF150 - what to check?

Hi gents, I'm being offered a "very low hours" BF150 that was supposedly used for less than 50-70 hours since bought 3 years ago.

Could anyone please tell me if there are any visual signs that can confirm or inform this information. I know that a Dr H could give all the history of the baby, but buy the time I get it delivered from the US... Plus the engine is actually lying on a pallet and I don't think I can check it running.

Are there any particular spots that can show some wear or damage from use for more that say 100hours? The paint on the lower unit and the prop looks perfect (on the pics), but I have seen some engines for sale with 500-600 hours with no marks on leg/prop etc. Any idea on the spots to check?

The anodes looks slightly corroded but the seller could say the engine was sitting in the marina with lowered shaft for months :-)

Thanks for help ! Cheers
Old 29 June 2017, 11:56   #2

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Check the gearbox and engine oil for any signs of contamination. With only 50-70 hours on it both should be clean and a thorough visual round the engine is about as much as you can do "off the cuff". A quick check for "run off" & "end float" on the prop shaft is do-able.
Oh.......and check the serial numbers against "stolen" lists.
Old 29 June 2017, 12:01   #3

Town: London
Boat name: Blaster
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF150
Thanks Tango, good tip about oil colour!

Could you please tell me where to check the stolen list numbers? Ring a dealer? Cheers
Old 29 June 2017, 15:11   #4

Google or I'm sure there's a link somewhere on Ribnet
Old 29 June 2017, 16:22   #5

Town: surrey
Boat name: el nino
Make: tornado humber
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboards
stolen boats. org
Old 30 June 2017, 06:43   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
So you're basically buying sight unseen. Honda will have plug in diagnostics so you should be able to ask seller for printout to confirm hours. Or if you were actually viewing outboard, then compression test would be next step. In addition these 4-stroke outboards have timing belts, so that needs to be done plus usual service, new battery, etc. I've also read various issues with Honda outboard regards corrosion at exhaust manifold. Not much you can do about that - but read up on it so you know what to look for.
Old 30 June 2017, 08:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Honda will have plug in diagnostics so you should be able to ask seller for printout to confirm hours. Or if you were actually viewing outboard, then compression test would be next step. In addition these 4-stroke outboards have timing belts, so that needs to be done plus usual service, new battery, etc. I've also read various issues with Honda outboard regards corrosion at exhaust manifold. Not much you can do about that - but read up on it so you know what to look for.
I'm guessing not a Honda dealer so no "plug in diagnostics".

If it can be rigged to do a compression test then it can be started.....so probably not an option.

Belts and manifold corrosion on a three year old engine with those hours ?

The engine is lying on a pallet and the price likely reflects that.....obviously a gamble but sometimes that's the way it is.
Old 30 June 2017, 10:36   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
I'm guessing not a Honda dealer so no "plug in diagnostics".

If it can be rigged to do a compression test then it can be started.....so probably not an option.

Belts and manifold corrosion on a three year old engine with those hours ?

The engine is lying on a pallet and the price likely reflects that.....obviously a gamble but sometimes that's the way it is.
Hi Tango

It's quite a gamble - unless you were actually speaking with a dealer state-side.

If I was buying the engine then I'd do a full service and belt-change and a full salt-away flush (check thermostat housing) so you know you're starting from scratch.

Regards corrosion - it's been apparently sitting with the leg in the water, I assume at a pontoon? I remember someone posting a BF90 on Ribnet - and it was like Swiss cheese if memory serves me right.
Old 30 June 2017, 11:52   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Hi Tango

It's quite a gamble - unless you were actually speaking with a dealer state-side.

If I was buying the engine then I'd do a full service and belt-change and a full salt-away flush (check thermostat housing) so you know you're starting from scratch.

Regards corrosion - it's been apparently sitting with the leg in the water, I assume at a pontoon? I remember someone posting a BF90 on Ribnet - and it was like Swiss cheese if memory serves me right.
Ok...I had missed the point that it was in the US. I still don't see a three year old engine with 50-70 hrs needing belts changed.
Mines does more than that in a year. The belts get checked regularly (replaced one of them this year) and no major corrosion issues at 16yrs. The service goes without say.
However I would have to agree regards the gamble considering the need to part with the cash without meeting the seller and seeing the engine for yourself. Lost count of the number of times I've found a "bargain" advertised, went to see it and walked away.