Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 01 September 2013, 11:07   #1

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Buying a brand new engine up in North West!

Hello Ribbers,

From my recent engine problems I have not been impressed with the amount of engine dealers / dealership support in the North West of England. So looking / thinking into the future I wanted to ask the question of fellow Northern Ribnetters if you were or had purchased a new engine (150 - 250HP) which brand would you pick, which dealership would you use or current dealership experience and what sort of service would you expect.

My current experience / impressions is that the dealers aren't that well equipped with modern engine diagnostics up in the sticks (Noooorth) unless someone can convince me otherwise

Thanks and look forward to your comments

Gareth

P.S. I will never be in a market for a brand new engine but maybe one day a newer engine!
Old 01 September 2013, 11:50   #2

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Have to agree with the sentiment !! North Yorkshire seems to be a bit of a wasteland when it comes to outboard maintainence ....
Had a nasty experience at a dealer at Skipton that resulted in a destroyed engine & a bill for almost £500 for a box of parts that are still sitting in my shed !
It's a bit of a lottery & sadly I now prefer to deal with people hundreds of miles away for parts or servicing in Glasgow who actually seem interested in providing a decent carry on.
The south coast boating community seem to have the lions share of decent businesses. Simple case of supply & demand in my opinion.
Since the speed limits on the lake district there are precious few people around me other than cruisers on the rivers that have boats in regular use hence the rarity of dealers to turn to !
That's part of what this site does for me, gives me an insight into what's available & where.
Old 01 September 2013, 12:27   #3

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
I have tried a few places over the years and they seem to be like car garages some good some bad and you need to have a bit of an idea yourself.
I use Methely chandlers as they are Honda dealers and they will travel to you if you want and are reasonable with costs etc
Old 01 September 2013, 12:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
Have to agree with the sentiment !! North Yorkshire seems to be a bit of a wasteland when it comes to outboard maintainence ....
Had a nasty experience at a dealer at Skipton that resulted in a destroyed engine & a bill for almost £500 for a box of parts that are still sitting in my shed !
It's a bit of a lottery & sadly I now prefer to deal with people hundreds of miles away for parts or servicing in Glasgow who actually seem interested in providing a decent carry on.
The south coast boating community seem to have the lions share of decent businesses. Simple case of supply & demand in my opinion.
Since the speed limits on the lake district there are precious few people around me other than cruisers on the rivers that have boats in regular use hence the rarity of dealers to turn to !
That's part of what this site does for me, gives me an insight into what's available & where.
Sorry to hear about your experience in Skipton which is a lovely part of the world with no water in site so can't fathom why a dealer is located there!

These modern outboard engines are so electronic driven and sophisticated (like car engines) its quite worrying that that we would have to turn to a dealer for help on the south coast or Scotland as its a long drive.

I know of a fellow ribnetter who sticks to old carburetored engines because its mechanical and easy to fix if it goes wrong and he could probarbly fix himself. I think the other issue is that the engine diagnostics is well tied into the official dealer network and is not readily available to the general public like other industry's.

I agree that Ribnet is currently our saving grace and I may now upgrade my account cause its so good. (well done to the Ed's)
Old 01 September 2013, 13:03   #5

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
Paddlers
I have used Mark at MJ Marine for some years now ,,,, genuine guy who really knows what he is doing. Well worth giving him a try I would say ,,,, unless you like the trip to Scotland
He is at : Oxmarsh Lane New Holland, North Lincolnshire DN19 7RE
01469 532231

I had the same issue locally until I found him !

Jeff
Old 01 September 2013, 16:04   #6

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Very interesting thread.

I'm also in the market for a new engine in the 150hp bracket but am very conscious of the lack of choice in the north west. As I see it, there's:

Bill Higham Marine
Liverpool Powerboats

Neither of whom have impressed me in the slightest over recent months and certainly won't be getting any of my hard-earned.

MES Marine in Queensferry who appear to be primarily a Jetski dealer but are also a Mercury dealership although no-one seems to know about them...

Outboard and Marine in Liverpool which is run by a fantastic lad but is only an approved Tohatsu and Suzuki dealership.

I'm left at looking to choose an engine based almost entirely on my personal experience with the guy who will service/repair it rather than any performance figures or price. Not in itself a bad thing but it does limit the choice available and makes visiting the boat show to see what deals are on offer a complete waste of time.

If I've missed anyone in the Cheshire/Merseyside area, do please let me know!
Old 01 September 2013, 16:27   #7

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
Very interesting thread.

I'm also in the market for a new engine in the 150hp bracket but am very conscious of the lack of choice in the north west. As I see it, there's:

Bill Higham Marine
Liverpool Powerboats

Neither of whom have impressed me in the slightest over recent months and certainly won't be getting any of my hard-earned.

MES Marine in Queensferry who appear to be primarily a Jetski dealer but are also a Mercury dealership although no-one seems to know about them...

Outboard and Marine in Liverpool which is run by a fantastic lad but is only an approved Tohatsu and Suzuki dealership.

I'm left at looking to choose an engine based almost entirely on my personal experience with the guy who will service/repair it rather than any performance figures or price. Not in itself a bad thing but it does limit the choice available and makes visiting the boat show to see what deals are on offer a complete waste of time.

Nat123 bought her rib off MES, I'm sure she would be happy to pass on her thoughts of them as a dealer. Not sure I would be looking at buying a 150hp off them, think they seem to deal mainly in smaller size motors. I would be heading to Nth Wales, there are good dealers out there who know how to service their motors, but as to how good their customer service is then that can be an expensive lesson to learn, it was for me!
Old 01 September 2013, 17:12   #8

Quote:
Very interesting thread.

Bill Higham Marine
Liverpool Powerboats

Barrow Boy,

I agree with you comments reference the dealers you have mentioned although I like the people in liverpool power boats they actually get a contractor in to do the mercury work and I have not been impressed with him.

I have also had one dealing with MES marine which I will be honest was not a good experience and was the worst of the lot!

Not had any dealings with any setups in North Wales and would be interested to know who they are, what brand they deal with and what their reputations are like!
Old 01 September 2013, 17:26   #9

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Very interesting thread.

Bill Higham Marine
Liverpool Powerboats

I bought my rib from LPB and I have to say that any teething problems that I have encountered with the rib and engine Ian (the proprietor) has always sorted it out, the last time being when the transom saddle snapped on my Etec engine.

Now don't get me wrong it has sometimes taken a while to get my problems addressed but I guess like anywhere else "after sales" does take a backseat to new sales.

Also whilst I have been waiting for work to be carried out at LPB I have always been well looked after by Ian and his staff. So due to my past experiences I wouldn't hesitate to recommend LPB to anyone looking for a boat, engine or anything boaty
Old 01 September 2013, 17:51   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
I bought my rib from LPB and I have to say that any teething problems that I have encountered with the rib and engine Ian (the proprietor) has always sorted it out, the last time being when the transom saddle snapped on my Etec engine.

Now don't get me wrong it has sometimes taken a while to get my problems addressed but I guess like anywhere else "after sales" does take a backseat to new sales.

Also whilst I have been waiting for work to be carried out at LPB I have always been well looked after by Ian and his staff. So due to my past experiences I wouldn't hesitate to recommend LPB to anyone looking for a boat, engine or anything boaty
Hmmmmm, I admire your equilibrium. I'd call a broken saddle on an engine under warranty a tad more than a 'teething problem' but it's good to hear it was sorted to your satisfaction by LPB.

I'm interested to hear which of the dealers in North Wales gets a thumbs-up....
Old 01 September 2013, 17:51   #11

Length: 3m +
So you are on the Honda/Mariner/Yamaha stand at SBS and have £12k or whatever it is burning a hole in your pocket... and you say "where's your nearest decent dealer to the North West..." if they say Bill Higham you say "I said decent" and get your best response.
Old 01 September 2013, 17:58   #12

Town: Lancashire
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki 140
You mentioned outboard and marine in Liverpool only dealing with Suzuki & Tohatsu. Have you considered the DF140? I have one and know of two others, all bought in 2008 with (touch wood) no issues at all. I use a Tohatsu 6hp aux, which is fine, Though i couldn't comment on their bigger motors.
My Suzuki came with my Humber but I've always had it serviced at Dickies in Bangor. They've always been helpful and reasonably priced.
Old 01 September 2013, 18:03   #13

RIBase
CJJ, you've sussed it! The Suzuki DF140 is one of two engines I'm left considering; everything I've read about them is positive, particularly the relatively miserly fuel consumption and their reliability. The other is the straight Mercury 150hp 4 stroke (not the Verado fly by wire) but where are the Mercury dealerships in the North West?
Old 01 September 2013, 18:06   #14

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Hmmmmm, I admire your equilibrium. I'd call a broken saddle on an engine under warranty a tad more than a 'teething problem' but it's good to hear it was sorted to your satisfaction by LPB.
Agreed... that was a lot more than a teething problem but!! the fault was Etec's not LPB and it was sorted under warranty.
Old 01 September 2013, 18:12   #15

Town: Lancashire
Engine: Suzuki 140
I reckon on a litre per mile attached to a 6.3m Humber at higher end cruising speeds, slight chop, with 5 adults and 150-200 ltrs of fuel on board. That's approx half the consumption of my last Suzuki which was a DT140 2 stroke! The DF is very quiet too.
What boat will it be fitted to??
Old 01 September 2013, 18:27   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjj216 View Post
I reckon on a litre per mile attached to a 6.3m Humber at higher end cruising speeds, slight chop, with 5 adults and 150-200 ltrs of fuel on board. That's approx half the consumption of my last Suzuki which was a DT140 2 stroke! The DF is very quiet too.
What boat will it be fitted to??
A new build. I'm leaning VERY heavily toward an Osprey but not decided which one. I've met Mike Whitham, been to his 'factory' in Lancashire and he's undoubtedly a superb hull builder. The tubes for the Osprey are manufactured and fitted in Lancashire too so as I live in the North West if there are any issues with the hull or tubes, it's a relatively local visit rather than a trip to (say) Taunton or Hull.

The engine choice is more complicated. They're all manufactured thousands of miles away, use complicated electronics and ECUs and you're left in the hands of their dealership network to diagnose and sort out any issues. It's no longer a DIY job or a visit to a 'back-street' man with an oily rag who can work some magic.

So, in my view, the quality and professionalism of the aftersales support from the local dealership is THE defining issue. I could get a fantastic deal initially, use only 0.5 litres per mile, get 50 knots WOT but when it goes wrong/needs attention/servicing, I'm conscious it could all go t*ts very quickly!
Old 01 September 2013, 18:55   #17

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Length: 6m +
Mes aren't rib orientated IMHO - they're more jet ski dinghy canoe orientated

We use ABC marine in Beaumaris during season and for pre and post season work, who are a merc dealers. They're not cheap for work but who are?!!! they have also have been great for any warranty stuff even when small, despite not even selling us our engine!

the mechanics are local RNLI boys and really good guys!!!
Old 01 September 2013, 18:57   #18

Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Gollione
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: 90hp
RIBase
Although it was a few years ago when I last had a Mercury, I found Outboard & Hydroplane Services Ltd in Ormskirk very good for parts and repairs.
Dulas Boats on Anglesey supplied a Yamaha 4 stroke to a friend and have carried out various repairs and servicing on a variety of makes of engines. I think they are dealers for Mariner, Evinrude and Yamaha.
Old 01 September 2013, 19:50   #19

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcreate View Post
Although it was a few years ago when I last had a Mercury, I found Outboard & Hydroplane Services Ltd in Ormskirk very good for parts and repairs.
Dulas Boats on Anglesey supplied a Yamaha 4 stroke to a friend and have carried out various repairs and servicing on a variety of makes of engines. I think they are dealers for Mariner, Evinrude and Yamaha.
Outboard and Hydroplane are long gone, but I think the guy who used to run it is still working as a mobile mechanic.

I used to use them to service my Mercruiser inboard and leg, great service and reasonable price.
Old 01 September 2013, 19:57   #20

North West Engine Dealers

Oi Barrowboy stop hijacking my thread - Only joking!

I would also recommend Mike Whitham as got some seats and consoles made by him - A top man and a nice guy!

Anyway the Mrs has X-Factor on the TV and cause I'm bored and sad I'm going to try and compile a list on what engine dealers/mechanics we have in the North West. The dealer highlighted in in Bold Italic is where a ribnetter has made a recommendation

Please feel free to add to the list!

Honda - Metheley Chandeler's (although not really in North West), Liverpool Power boats, Midway boats in Nantwich, Powersport Manchester, Bridgehouse Marina and Caravan Park in Garstang

Mercury / Mariner - MJ Marine (again not in NW), Bill Higham, Liverpool Power Boats, MES marine, ABC marine, Douglas boat yard in Preston, Bridgehouse Marina and Caravan Park in Garstang,Delta in stockport, Shipshape marine

Suzuki - Outboard and Marine Liverpool, Dickies in Bangor, National A1 marine, Nationwide marine hire warrington, warrior boats in preston, powersport ltd in manchester, Marine tec ltd, Pennine Marine in Skipton, dickes in bangor, skua chesterfield, Dulas boat and caravan company

Tohatsu - Outboard and Marine Liverpool, Menai marine, Liverpool power boats, sea hunter boats in blackpool, Douglas marine in Preston

Evinrudes - Liverpool Power Boats, Dulas boat and caravan anglessey, Lyn Marine Services Ltd in Pwehilli

Yamaha - Liverpool Power Boats, Midway boats in Nantwich, Shipshape Marine in stockport, Pennine Marine in Skipton, GW doling and son in Barrow in Furness, Dulas Boat and caravan park Anglesey, Blue water marine in Pwelli, Maiden Marine in Winderemere

By using dealer locator function on manufacturers websites I was surprised what the search engine came up with as I have never heard of some of these places and am very dubious as to what dealer repairs and facilities that some of these places have.

I like the Yamaha 4 strokes and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of the dealers I have listed?

Anyway looks like she has turned over now to Dragon's Den, doh its nearly finished